The Student Room Group

TSR girls, how do you feel about getting paid so much less than a man in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by leavingthecity
Genuine unequal pay in Hollywood has been in the news of late. That's a industry that doesn't give a ****.

The reverse happens in modelling where women are payed a much higher rate, another industry that couldn't care less about the law.

Why do you think guys in movies get paid more? And are you talking about Jennifer Lawrence?
How does anyone still believe this myth?
Original post by Melancholy
I think it's probably got something to do with the fact that men are just more interesting to watch. I wouldn't get out of bed to see Fast and Furious played by female actresses. They tend to be cheekier, more adventurous and funnier on average. It's the same reason why male comedians are more commercially successful. James Bond plays on the male fantasy, whereas a female Bond would not be as popular. Holywood plays on stereotypes (which themselves are based on some element of truth) - e.g. the "nagging" M curtailing Bond's boyish adventures.

Female superheroes (e.g. Lara Croft) tend to be eye-candy (the most commercially successful actresses are attractive). It's neither right nor wrong, it is just biologically true that we (largely both males and females) prefer to see certain people and certain things on the big screen. It'd be pretty hard to change nature.

I mean, ugly people, as group, should perhaps try to argue that they should be paid the same as Leonardo di Caprio. The group of "uglies" is just as arbitrary as the class of "females" - what they got through birth was through random chance, as well, and they get paid differently because of it.

80% of this is ridiculous, the remaining 20% is worse than weak and has not been thought through to it's conclusion.
Original post by DotDotDot...
Please post a link to one of these studies (from a reliable source) just so we can see that there are differences in studies. Otherwise people are right to assume you're talking rubbish. I just want to see one of these for myself as I only ever see people talk about them without being able to source them.

No credible Economists, male or female, will tell you the wage gap exists. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why there is a difference in the total amount of earnings for men and total amount of earnings for woman but sure I'll explain.

Firstly, the gender wage gap "exists" due to the calculation of the total earnings of men and the total earnings of woman and a simple division to find the average earnings for men and woman. This is where the "woman make 0.77 to a mans dollar" comes from.

Reasons why the gender wage pay gap isn't real
Woman tend to have children therefore work part time. You can't expect woman to get paid the same amount of money in total if they work less hours than men right?

Now how about the fact that woman get a longer maternity leave than men, you can't expect woman to get paid the full amount whilst they are away and not working right?

Now how about the fact that lifestyle choices of woman mean they take more holidays, call in sick more and generally just work less hours (due to children maybe) than the full time working men.

Or maybe the fact that (previously) woman were more likely to go into jobs which are nurturing such as being a nurse or a childminder rather than being a mechanic or an engineer or one of those male dominated jobs. I understand that this is changing now but it still tells that the current older working (maybe more traditional) generation have an imbalance of genders in many jobs and some of these jobs may be higher paying jobs than say nursing.

Due to all of these reasons it is clear that the reason why the total amount of money woman get is less than men and this is because they have different lifestyle choices. It is ILLEGAL to pay woman less money for the same job and no company will jeopardize their business (especially considering how easy it is for a feminist to make a big deal out of it) just to pay a woman 0.23cents less and if they were willing to take the risk surely they would employ MORE woman and less men to maximize their profits.

Could a feminist please reply and tell me what they do not understand about why the gender wage gap is a myth.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daquan
xxxx.

I'm pretty sure that women and men get paid the same for the same job

now

what i think many are confusing is the wage gap of overall general earnings of men and women

^^ contributing to the wage gap of overall general earning are factors which people here have stated such as profession etc
And those require a physicality that many women do not have.

I was thinking of broking as an example because it's my background. You are told "it's not for women" and often paid accordingly. Plus the men are aggressive with business, promotion and pay rises. They do what they cab get away with.

I tend to disagree with gender politics, but the alpha maleism of the modern investment banking industry is terrible. These people can retire after one good year, and they're playing with other people's money. The simplest way to guarantee a good year is to invest in regularly well-paid investments, even if those investments are oversubscribed(As we saw in the dot-com bubble and the housing bubble crashes).

This results in massive malinvestment which causes terrible crashes and lose millions from retirement funds while the persons responsible simply go to another investment firm and do the same thing later.

An ethical bank helps drive new businesses, home purchases, schooling et al. Sadly, this industry has been broken very badly and I'm unsure how to fix it.
80% of this is ridiculous, the remaining 20% is worse than weak and has not been thought through to it's conclusion.

*its
Original post by thefatone
here's one, ignore the title it doesn't make sense but the facts seem ok..
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/calling-********-on-the-men-who-think-the-pay-gap-is-a-myth

Sorry, I meant an anti pay gap study this is pro :smile:
Original post by Daquan
Why do you think guys in movies get paid more? And are you talking about Jennifer Lawrence?

I am talking about two roles that are very similar here and am not making a comment on the lack of female roles which in turn leads to worse pay for women, that's another issue.

I think it's just the arrogance of those making the film thinking they can get away with it, I would also think that the men were more aggressive in negotiations.
Sorry, I meant an anti pay gap study this is pro :smile:

oh that's easy because people are mistaken and don't have their facts correct so just go with what others say(which can also be wrong) thus a myth is created. But really i'm pretty sure there no gap so what's the point in beating a dead horse?
Original post by Limerence.
No credible Economists, male or female, will tell you the wage gap exists. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why there is a difference in the total amount of earnings for men and total amount of earnings for woman but sure I'll explain.

Firstly, the gender wage gap "exists" due to the calculation of the total earnings of men and the total earnings of woman and a simple division to find the average earnings for men and woman. This is where the "woman make 0.77 to a mans dollar" comes from.

Woman tend to have children therefore work part time. You can't expect woman to get paid the same amount of money in total if they work less hours than men right?

Now how about the fact that woman get a longer maternity leave than men, you can't expect woman to get paid the full amount whilst they are away and not working right?

Now how about the fact that lifestyle choices of woman mean they take more holidays, call in sick more and generally just work less hours (due to children maybe) than the full time working men.

Or maybe the fact that (previously) woman were more likely to go into jobs which are nurturing such as being a nurse or a childminder rather than being a mechanic or an engineer or one of those male dominated jobs. I understand that this is changing now but it still tells that the current older working (maybe more traditional) generation have an imbalance of genders in many jobs and some of these jobs may be higher paying jobs than say nursing.

Due to all of these reasons it is clear that the reason why the total amount of money woman get is less than men and this is because they have different lifestyle choices. It is ILLEGAL to pay woman less money for the same job and no company will jeopardize their business (especially considering how easy it is for a feminist to make a big deal out of it) just to pay a woman 0.23cents less and if they were willing to take the risk surely they would employ MORE woman and less men to maximize their profits.

Could a feminist please reply and tell me what they do not understand about why the gender wage gap is a myth.

1. Gender pay gap is about people in the same jobs doing the same hours so most of the above information is irrelevant. 2. As I said before - show me a reputable study, there have been lots supporting the pay gap but so far no one has been able to produce a valid one against it, come on I'm literally inviting you to change my mind
http://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap/

This website is run by economists now feminists, kindly f*ck off thinking there's a pay gap.
Original post by thefatone
oh that's easy because people are mistaken and don't have their facts correct so just go with what others say(which can also be wrong) thus a myth is created. But really i'm pretty sure there no gap so what's the point in beating a dead horse?

Please, I keep saying, just link me a proper study showing its false and I'll reconsider
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I tend to disagree with gender politics, but the alpha maleism of the modern investment banking industry is terrible. These people can retire after one good year, and they're playing with other people's money. The simplest way to guarantee a good year is to invest in regularly well-paid investments, even if those investments are oversubscribed(As we saw in the dot-com bubble and the housing bubble crashes).

This results in massive malinvestment which causes terrible crashes and lose millions from retirement funds while the persons responsible simply go to another investment firm and do the same thing later.

An ethical bank helps drive new businesses, home purchases, schooling et al. Sadly, this industry has been broken very badly and I'm unsure how to fix it.

You are right, factors that cause pay gaps and those that put markets at risk stem from aggressive male behaviour.

I was eavesdropping on a conversation between head hunters recently and a major investment bank were looking to hire into a very senior risk position, they actually wanted a good mix of male and female candidates but the head hunters were arguing that there just were hardly any women in risk at that level and that they could find anyone! Interesting.......
1. Gender pay gap is about people in the same jobs doing the same hours so most of the above information is irrelevant.
No it's not. The gender pay gap issue typically involves (as in this case) a statement saying that "X earns £ABC less on average than Y", where the £ABC is taken by dividing total earnings divided total people.

If the GPG discussion was about an individual being paid less than another individual in the same job for same number of hours, then the debate is settled. It would be illegal if that were to occur. It's not exactly anyone's fault if that silly sausage doesn't reporting the employer to the police. AND, indeed, if it were true, in a capitalist economy you'd get more employers paying for such a cheaper source of labour.
Please, I keep saying, just link me a proper study showing its false and I'll reconsider

Here is a simple one with simple explanations and looks pretty
http://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap/

If you want a real paper
http://humcap.uchicago.edu/RePEc/hka/wpaper/Gayle_Golan_Miller_2011_gender-differences-executive.pdf
There are many ACTUAL papers on this. Not just studys on the internet posted by some news article, if you have the time and are willing to read these papers with an open mind then you will find the truth. If you don't want to read these papers then you can keep believing the gender wage gap and keep fighting for something that is impossible to change unless woman change themselves.

As I said, the gender wage gap is the TOTAL earnings of men and the TOTAL earnings of woman and a simple division to find the average earnings of both. Men and woman get paid the same hourly. Go into any workplace and ask, doubt they'd tell you but if they did you will see.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
I am talking about two roles that are very similar here and am not making a comment on the lack of female roles which in turn leads to worse pay for women, that's another issue.

I think it's just the arrogance of those making the film thinking they can get away with it, I would also think that the men were more aggressive in negotiations.

Like these roles?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/17/jennifer-lawrence-to-be-paid-8m-more-than-chris-pratt-for-passengers

Jennifer Lawrence to be paid $8m more than Chris Pratt for Passengers Big budget space romance greenlit by Sony in a high-risk push into original film-making thanks to combined $32m wage demands of star duo with lion’s share going to female star

She isn't moaning about it now, is she? Or the time when she got paid more then the main guy in Hunger Games? Instead she was bitching about a couple of % in profit share in a movie where she was fifth lead.
Original post by Limerence.

Yes, this article concerns total earnings and not rates if pay.

However, the setback having children has on a woman's career is obvious and many women still experience demotion or worse when returning to work.

And sorry, many companies do break the law in many areas, including allowing rates of pay to drift apart. I don't know what world you live in where you think that for-profit organisations exist to follow the rules best they can.
You are right, factors that cause pay gaps and those that put markets at risk stem from aggressive male behaviour.

Sexist! JK jk jk...

Maybe women should just man up and ask for a rise tho?

I'm sorry - being a numpty.

I was eavesdropping on a conversation between head hunters recently and a major investment bank were looking to hire into a very senior risk position, they actually wanted a good mix of male and female candidates but the head hunters were arguing that there just were hardly any women in risk at that level and that they could find anyone! Interesting.......

I work in finance and do find that the most successful women tend to be more assertive and confident in what they're doing. They tend to achieve results, people place confidence in them, they bear a lot of the stress and decision-making, etc, but their hard work ensures that people's pensions are invested wisely to both help finance growing businesses and safeguard people's savings.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, this article concerns total earnings and not rates if pay.

However, the setback having children has on a woman's career is obvious and many women still experience demotion or worse when returning to work.

And sorry, many companies do break the law in many areas, including allowing rates of pay to drift apart. I don't know what world you live in where you think that for-profit organisations exist to follow the rules best they can.

Exactly, and this is what the gender wage gap is based on. Woman earning 0.77 to a mans dollar. It doesn't say 0.77 to a mans dollar per hour does it? No. It's the total earnings is what the gender wage gap and not the rates of pay. If it was the rates of pay then it will be debunked instantly because it is ILLEGAL to pay woman less than men per hour. Woman experience demotion or worse because they go from full time to part time and some companies just can not accommodate for the loss of hours. They clearly will tell you that your job is not guaranteed once you return back. This is not just for woman, this happens for men too or anybody that takes has a change in lifestyle that causes a loss of profit for the company

Exactly, many companies do break the rules which is why if they were paying woman less, in a capitalist economy they would therefore employ more woman. It doesn't take an economist to realize you can maximize profits by paying less.

Love the way its so obviously special pleading
Gay men earn less? Discrimination
Lesbians earn more? Lifestyle choices.
Woman earn less? Sexism
Men earn less? Lifestyle choices.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest