The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Parallel parking. It's only now, four years after having passed my test, that I've learnt how to do it properly. And that's only because I was forced to after I moved to an area with on-street parking.
Reply 41
Hill starts.
Parallel parking.
Roundabouts (how do I know if they're turning right or about to turn off?!)
Reverse parking.
Big roundabouts at large roads with multiple lanes and ****, so confusing!
How on earth did I pass...?
Original post by brunegtebabe111
It took me about 4 lessons just to understand how to stop at a junction (left emerge) and then carry on without stalling, I didn't understand when to let go off the clutch, Iet it go fully before I was even turning stalling all the time. I have grasped it now and it's easy now, the thing I'm worried about now is roundabouts, I started them today And I was meant to go left on the roundabout and I nearly went straight on oops. I'm also worried about maneovers 3 point turn is horrible

You mind telling me how you achieved stpopping at the junctions and emerging left and stuff? like what was the procedure, I fully stop at the giveway line or whatever just to make sure or if there loads of cars coming... clutch down and handbrake (sometimes), get the gas ready and as soon as i see opportunity, biting point then go.
Reply 43
Just done a mock and got 46/50 in the theory and 60/75 for HP. Never had such a high score for HP, I usually get 47 or just bang on the pass mark. Hoping I can pull off a mark like that tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Just done a mock and got 46/50 in the theory and 60/75 for HP. Never had such a high score for HP, I usually get 47 or just bang on the pass mark. Hoping I can pull off a mark like that tomorrow :biggrin:

tell us how it goes!
Reply 45
I passed! 44/50 for questions and 58/75 for HP :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! Not as bad as you was expecting? :smile:
Reply 47
Parking. It's so much easier on a motorbike :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice!! There we go now aha, glad to see people passing!

I've booked my practical! Even tho I've had 6 hours worth so far... lol but my instructor told me to do it so hoping to learn more now!
Reply 49
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
Well done! Not as bad as you was expecting? :smile:

Nah it wasn't as bad though a few questions here and there caught me out. Are the HP videos computer generated or are they real? They looked totally real but then some of the faces in the close up just looked terrifying so I'm hoping that was just CGI lol
Reply 50
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Nice!! There we go now aha, glad to see people passing!

I've booked my practical! Even tho I've had 6 hours worth so far... lol but my instructor told me to do it so hoping to learn more now!

Ooooh when is your practical? Best of luck with it and keep us updated with your test and the progress of your lessons :smile:
Nah it wasn't as bad though a few questions here and there caught me out. Are the HP videos computer generated or are they real? They looked totally real but then some of the faces in the close up just looked terrifying so I'm hoping that was just CGI lol

CGI I beleive.
Reversing round the corner is a big struggle for me :/ always end up messing up -.- literally am not keen on that manoeuvre :/
Ooooh when is your practical? Best of luck with it and keep us updated with your test and the progress of your lessons :smile:

Going to be in may! So got quite a bit of time
Reply 54
Just back from a lesson and today I struggled with fully releasing the hand break. I always struggle to lift it fully up. I must be a wee weakling :colondollar:
Just back from a lesson and today I struggled with fully releasing the hand break. I always struggle to lift it fully up. I must be a wee weakling :colondollar:

lol! :P
Reply 56
I drove my own car today for the first time. I just drove around a quiet suburban area with my partner and holy hell, I honestly feel like I will never pass. I stalled so much, mucked up the gears, nearly punched my partner whenever he spoke :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I drove my own car today for the first time. I just drove around a quiet suburban area with my partner and holy hell, I honestly feel like I will never pass. I stalled so much, mucked up the gears, nearly punched my partner whenever he spoke :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw I'm sure you'll be fine, you just need to get used to your car I suppose :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely hate reversing around corners. I'm really hoping that does not come up on my test!
I also hesitate too much on roundabouts.
The urge to veer into people walking along the pavement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending