The Student Room Group

What happens if I select an A level course but do not meet GCSE requirements?

Hi all,
I'm trying to decide on my A level courses and currently, my gut lies with Maths and Further Maths, Physics, Business. However, although I have done a great deal of revision and exam prep since my disappointing mock grades, I am unaware of the consequences of taking Maths/Further Maths if I don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements.
I am hoping to go to Brockenhurst College and the minimum requirements for Maths/Further Maths is A in Maths (I have strong potential with an A here), and 4 or more A/A* grades in other subjects.
As time goes on with exam prep I believe I can achieve these grades; nevertheless, I am an all or nothing type person and wish to understand what will happen if I 'bomb'.
So IF I don't get the grades I need, can I still take the course / can I change my decision on the subjects I chose?
Thanks, Theo
Reply 1
They may consider you even if you're below the requirement,all depends on the college itself. Most commonly the college will set an initial assessment before the course and to test if you're capable of taking this subject, not sure what your college does as all colleges are not the same :smile:.
Just work hard now and achieve the grades~
All the Best!
Original post by Theo+84
Hi all,
I'm trying to decide on my A level courses and currently, my gut lies with Maths and Further Maths, Physics, Business. However, although I have done a great deal of revision and exam prep since my disappointing mock grades, I am unaware of the consequences of taking Maths/Further Maths if I don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements.
I am hoping to go to Brockenhurst College and the minimum requirements for Maths/Further Maths is A in Maths (I have strong potential with an A here), and 4 or more A/A* grades in other subjects.
As time goes on with exam prep I believe I can achieve these grades; nevertheless, I am an all or nothing type person and wish to understand what will happen if I 'bomb'.
So IF I don't get the grades I need, can I still take the course / can I change my decision on the subjects I chose?
Thanks, Theo

What happens is entirely in the hands of the college concerned. People on here may tell you of their experience in similar situations, but only this particular college can tell you if they will take you or not, and even that will vary from year to year, depending on how many other people did make the grade and how many near misses there were who were better than you. I am sure you would like to be certain about this, but there is no certainty that anyone can give you.
Reply 3
Thank you all for the replies, in spite of your suggestions, I will contact the college / their maths department to understand their take on the given situation. Let's hope for the best, Cheers, Theo.

Quick Reply

Latest