The Student Room Group

TSR girls, how do you feel about getting paid so much less than a man in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daquan
Like these roles?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/17/jennifer-lawrence-to-be-paid-8m-more-than-chris-pratt-for-passengers

She isn't moaning about it now, is she? Or the time when she got paid more then the main guy in Hunger Games? Instead she was bitching about a couple of % in profit share in a movie where she was fifth lead.

I'm not talking about this but you just said;

She was previously given a worse profit sharing deal than she thought she should have, she was unhappy and so she did something about it.

Then later, she ended up with a deal where she got paid more than her co stars and did not complain about how she was being given more money, crazy.

So your relevant point is?
Reply 61
Original post by leavingthecity

I was thinking of broking as an example because it's my background. You are told "it's not for women" and often paid accordingly. Plus the men are aggressive with business, promotion and pay rises. They do what they cab get away with.

Why don't you do the same then? You think Thatcher, Hillary, Merkel, the woman in charge of the Fed or the IMF or billion dollar companies got there by being nice and cuddly? Same reason men dominate gourmet cooking, poker, chess or every single ultra-competitive field there is. Have you ever watched a pro MMA fight between men or any sport for that matter? The level of aggression is a different planet from that of women's.
Reply 62
I'm not talking about this but you just said;

She was previously given a worse profit sharing deal than she thought she should have, she was unhappy and so she did something about it.

Then later, she ended up with a deal where she got paid more than her co stars and did not complain about how she was being given more money, crazy.

So your relevant point is?

She got paid less in that movie because of her lower ''star power'' and the importance of her role, not because she was a woman. But she doesn't seem to mind when she gets paid far more than her male colleagues. Typical feminist hypocrisy.

A great example is ''Pretty woman'', when Gere got paid far more than Roberts because he was already a big star. Ten years later when they reunited for another movie together Roberts got paid millions more than him since she had become the bigger star.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Limerence.
Exactly, and this is what the gender wage gap is based on. Woman earning 0.77 to a mans dollar. It doesn't say 0.77 to a mans dollar per hour does it? No. It's the total earnings is what the gender wage gap and not the rates of pay. If it was the rates of pay then it will be debunked instantly because it is ILLEGAL to pay woman less than men per hour. Woman experience demotion or worse because they go from full time to part time and some companies just can not accommodate for the loss of hours. They clearly will tell you that your job is not guaranteed once you return back. This is not just for woman, this happens for men too or anybody that takes has a change in lifestyle that causes a loss of profit for the company

Exactly, many companies do break the rules which is why if they were paying woman less, in a capitalist economy they would therefore employ more woman. It doesn't take an economist to realize you can maximize profits by paying less.

Love the way its so obviously special pleading
Gay men earn less? Discrimination
Lesbians earn more? Lifestyle choices.
Woman earn less? Sexism
Men earn less? Lifestyle choices.

I just remembered how in my office, one of my female colleagues was declined a pay rise for years, the floor was about 400 men to 15 women. She only got a raise when a desk head she did a lot of work for and who valued her stormed into her bosses office and screamed "GIVE HER A ****ING PAY RISE!". It worked.
Original post by Melancholy
No it's not. The gender pay gap issue typically involves (as in this case) a statement saying that "X earns £ABC less on average than Y", where the £ABC is taken by dividing total earnings divided total people.

If the GPG discussion was about an individual being paid less than another individual in the same job for same number of hours, then the debate is settled. It would be illegal if that were to occur. It's not exactly anyone's fault if that silly sausage doesn't reporting the employer to the police. AND, indeed, if it were true, in a capitalist economy you'd get more employers paying for such a cheaper source of labour.

Because big companies never do anything illegal do they? It's more men getting pay rises promotions etc. than difference in pay slips so is not illegal. Sorry I should've made myself clear I meant the controversy over the gpg not the actual definition of gpg.
Original post by Daquan
She got paid less in that movie because of her lower ''star power'' and the importance of her role, not because she was a woman. But she doesn't seem to mind when she gets paid far more than her male colleagues. Typical feminist hypocrisy.

A great example is ''Pretty woman'', when Gere got paid far more than Roberts because he was already a big star. Ten years later when they reunited for another movie together Roberts got paid millions more than him since she had become the bigger star.

Being real, who's going to 'mind' earning more?! Especially when, as you 2 exceptional examples have not demonstrated, that there is a industry wide problem that has it's foundation in the notion that women are less enjoyable to watch on the screen.
Original post by DotDotDot...
Because big companies never do anything illegal do they? It's more men getting pay rises promotions etc. than difference in pay slips so is not illegal. Sorry I should've made myself clear I meant the controversy over the gpg not the actual definition of gpg.

Big companies are probably less likely to do something illegal as they are exposed to greater reputational risks. Why would these corporations pay for a developed HR function if they're simultaneously getting all stingy when it comes to people's wages and risking non-compliance fees in any case?

I'm not saying that big companies never do anything illegal - how does that follow from my argument? I'm saying that it's not anybody's fault but the individual if that individual does not choose to report the illegal activity to the police. Nobody disagrees with the principle that companies should follow the law.

I would, however, find it odd that companies wouldn't be following the law because if they found out that they could pay people differently for the same work for the same hours, then surely they would choose to employ more of that labour source?

Any company that promotes people based on any other feature other than their talents will not perform as well as competitors. If they're still in business, or just as profitable, then the promotion was arguably justified. You could, of course, make your own business, risk your own money, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Limerence.
Here is a simple one with simple explanations and looks pretty
http://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-is-the-gender-pay-gap/

If you want a real paper
http://humcap.uchicago.edu/RePEc/hka/wpaper/Gayle_Golan_Miller_2011_gender-differences-executive.pdf
There are many ACTUAL papers on this. Not just studys on the internet posted by some news article, if you have the time and are willing to read these papers with an open mind then you will find the truth. If you don't want to read these papers then you can keep believing the gender wage gap and keep fighting for something that is impossible to change unless woman change themselves.

As I said, the gender wage gap is the TOTAL earnings of men and the TOTAL earnings of woman and a simple division to find the average earnings of both. Men and woman get paid the same hourly. Go into any workplace and ask, doubt they'd tell you but if they did you will see.

I've read the first one (will read the second one later but don't have time atm) and totally agree with everything they're saying- how can I not its the ons - I know that most of it is lifestyle choices and thats what I said to begin with when saying I was more worried about getting the actual job than the pay because it's not just women's faults it the systems fault and you can't just blame women for finding it hard to dig into industries which have been all male for centuries women need to do more but so do men we should be working together on this.
Reply 68
I am not going to earn less than a man. This article is about the difference having children makes on what a women earns compared to a man. I have no intention in having children, therefore this will not affect me.
Reply 69
Please post a link to one of these studies (from a reliable source) just so we can see that there are differences in studies. Otherwise people are right to assume you're talking rubbish. I just want to see one of these for myself as I only ever see people talk about them without being able to source them.

Here is a feminist showing how it is false
[video="youtube_share;58arQIr882w"]http://youtu.be/58arQIr882w[/video]

If women are paid less for the same job why don't companies just hire women? They care about profit so what you are suggesting means either there is no wage gap or women are worse at working.
Reply 70
Original post by Daquan
Used to what? Not having equal rights?

I don't like labels but I do know that women should have equal rights to men with pay being included, obv.

They already do if you have a job and are not being paid the same as a male worker with the same experience and qualifications go to court.
£300,000 less for being a woman?!

Society is ****ed. Completely ****ed.
Reply 72
Being real, who's going to 'mind' earning more?! Especially when, as you 2 exceptional examples have not demonstrated, that there is a industry wide problem that has it's foundation in the notion that women are less enjoyable to watch on the screen.

The point is she is a hypocrite and she did not get paid less because she was a woman.

Because this is what the public wants to see? The studios make what the markets demand. The same way Disney cartoons and shows are full of female chars, the market is mainly young girls. Same goes for ******** teenage/vampire romance that chicks can't get enough of (books, shows, movies etc).

Most people want to see a strong male leads. They tried making a few female superhero movies but they were all fails so what should they do, keep making movies nobody wants to see until the go bankrupt ? Or comedies? Hire female comedians everyone hates ? As PC as Hollywood is , I doubt they're gonna PC themselves into bankruptcy.
I've read the first one (will read the second one later but don't have time atm) and totally agree with everything they're saying- how can I not its the ons - I know that most of it is lifestyle choices and thats what I said to begin with when saying I was more worried about getting the actual job than the pay because it's not just women's faults it the systems fault and you can't just blame women for finding it hard to dig into industries which have been all male for centuries women need to do more but so do men we should be working together on this.

I don't really see much substance in this cliché though. I bet if a male wanted to become a nurse in a female-dominated area, there would be a clear, unobstructed route to it. Likewise, with a female bin-lorry-driver. Heck, there are huge incentives to universities hiring women in STEM subjects, etc.

Industries usually aren't X-dominated due to systemic reasons. Most engineers and mechanics are male; but most F1 fans are also male - not really a coincidence... Most females in the animal kingdom care for the young; more women than men want to become nurses or childminders - again, not a coincidence. We have different hormones, different worth ethics, competitveness, aggression, talents (logic versus empathy), physical features, interests, IQs, etc. I would say at least 50% of this is not social conditioning.

So long as we all have a free choice in what we apply for, who we employ, etc, then I'm not fussed. Some have to work harder than others in some areas (e.g. I would say I worked harder for my grades than others), but that's life. Some are luckier. I bet Nicholas Cage isn't crying into his cornflakes over the fact that if he had different genes, he could have been Matt Damon.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daquan
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/07/gender-pay-gap-uk-women-earn-300000-less-men-lifetime

The UK has one of the highest gender gaps in Europe even though it's been almost half a century since the Equal Pay Act was introduced.

Stop provoking people and trying to stir up an argument, men do more work on average, so they get paid more. Nothing more to it.
Original post by abrack
£300,000 less for being a woman?!

Society is ****ed. Completely ****ed.

Not for being a woman.

Original post by A$aprocky
Stop provoking people and trying to stir up an argument, men do more work on average, so they get paid more. Nothing more to it.

This.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Melancholy
Not for being a woman.

This.

The article states that women are likely to earn on average 300k less..?
1. Gender pay gap is about people in the same jobs doing the same hours so most of the above information is irrelevant.

No it isn't. Usually when discussed it's just the average female earnings compared with average male earnings. Or some ludicrously broad groups that obviously aren't identical jobs, such as "female managers" earning less than "male managers".
I have so far never experience gender pay gap. But for those who are affected it really annoys me as people should be paid by merit, not by their sex :colonhash:
Reply 79

You mentioned mathematics earlier I believe here is a study that should interest you.
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/17/5360.abstract

Quick Reply

Latest