The Student Room Group

How many years will I get funding for?

Hi there.

After a night sitting on my laptop trying to find some information, I'm no closer to having an answer as everyone seems to be saying a different thing.

I know that the formula for student finance seems to be length of course plus 1 year - years already done. But I'm in a bit of a grey area.

I'm currently on a course (1st year of Uni) that I'm not enjoying, it was a mistake.

I'd like to change uni's next year but i'll be doing a foundation degree then followed on by a 3 year degree, does this count as one degree?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fuzzystudent
Hi there.

After a night sitting on my laptop trying to find some information, I'm no closer to having an answer as everyone seems to be saying a different thing.

I know that the formula for student finance seems to be length of course plus 1 year - years already done. But I'm in a bit of a grey area.

I'm currently on a course (1st year of Uni) that I'm not enjoying, it was a mistake.

I'd like to change uni's next year.

In order of preference -

Option 1 - I'd do a 1 year foundation degree (Management, Government & Law) which would progress onto a full 3 year BA degree of my choice.

Option 2 - I'd do a 1 year foundation degree (management, Government & Law) which would progress onto a 2 year fast-track BA degree of my choice.

Option 3 - I'd do a 2 year foundation degree & then top it up to make it a full BA 3 year degree.

My question is, would I be able to get student finance for the duration of all or any of the above options?

Thank you in advance!

You should have funding for option 2 and 3
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply.

Is that based on student finance allowing me 4 years of funding?

Because the 'grey area' seems to be whether it's the length of the course, or whether it's simply 4 years allowed.

If it's the length of the course, what is then the difference between option 1 and option 2?
Thank you for the reply.

Is that based on student finance allowing me 4 years of funding?

Because the 'grey area' seems to be whether it's the length of the course, or whether it's simply 4 years allowed.

If it's the length of the course, what is then the difference between option 1 and option 2?

It's normally 4 years allowed maximum so option 1 would require 5 years of funding to be used ?
It's length of course +1 - previous years study. For most people, that's 3 or 4 years.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's length of course +1 - previous years study. For most people, that's 3 or 4 years.

Tiger, be careful, as you didn't mention ELQ here - which would mean that a person who has already completed and gained a qualification won't be eligible for that year, so the gift year is not always applicable.

Depends on the students individual circumstances. Also, for medicine courses, the equation you've given above doesn't work out either.
Original post by darloviking
Tiger, be careful, as you didn't mention ELQ here - which would mean that a person who has already completed and gained a qualification won't be eligible for that year, so the gift year is not always applicable.

Depends on the students individual circumstances. Also, for medicine courses, the equation you've given above doesn't work out either.

Can't say I quite understand how medicine courses and all the funding for that works. But in general, that is the formula used.
Can't say I quite understand how medicine courses and all the funding for that works. But in general, that is the formula used.

The amount of funding you will receive for Dental or Medical courses depends on the level of study you are doing, the agency (e.g: SFE) you are applying too and any previous study you may have undertaken.

Due to the complex nature of the funding, I would suggest that students contact directly SFE or their award authority. Inter-calculation can also confuse matters.
Reply 8
I've been told by someone else that sometimes Student Finance do not fully fund your first year of a new course when you change from another course.

Doesn't sound quite right, can anyone shed some light?
Reply 9
I've been told by someone else that sometimes Student Finance do not fully fund your first year of a new course when you change from another course.

Either you qualify for SF or you don't.

If you don't then you might get a minimum non-income assessed Maintenance Loan, but I don't know if that's the same with the forthcoming changes.

If you've already had funding and are changing to a new course, they work backwards. So, depending on your situation, they'll fully fund your last year; but not your first year.
If you've already had funding and are changing to a new course, they work backwards. So, depending on your situation, they'll fully fund your last year; but not your first year.

But that doesn't make sense as such.

I've had 1 year of funding, I want to change to a new course, therefore surely they will fund entirety of that course seen as I've only used my spare year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending