The Student Room Group

History or Drama?

I'm definitely taking English Lit and Media Studies, but I don't know as a 3rd if i should take History or Drama. I've said History but I'm still not so sure (we are aloud to change our minds up until September). I want to go to somewhere like Exeter University to study a degree so could I have some opinions please? :smile:
Original post by twhiddy
I'm definitely taking English Lit and Media Studies, but I don't know as a 3rd if i should take History or Drama. I've said History but I'm still not so sure (we are aloud to change our minds up until September). I want to go to somewhere like Exeter University to study a degree so could I have some opinions please? :smile:

What do you want to study at Exeter? If you have an interest in studying something creative or related to the media then I think you'd be safe to choose drama, but if you want to study a more traditional academic subject such as English literature then I would advise you to take history.
Hi!!!!

Urmm...do you know what you'd like to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Matrix123
Hi!!!!

Urmm...do you know what you'd like to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm lingering between English Lit or a joint degree with English Lit and Film Studies (or Media Studies) :smile:
Original post by twhiddy
I'm lingering between English Lit or a joint degree with English Lit and Film Studies (or Media Studies) :smile:

Ooh that's tricky then...which do you enjoy the most out of drama/history. Do you know what career you'd like/consider? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mscaffrey
What do you want to study at Exeter? If you have an interest in studying something creative or related to the media then I think you'd be safe to choose drama, but if you want to study a more traditional academic subject such as English literature then I would advise you to take history.

I'm thinking of English Lit or with Film Studies or Media Studies alongside it but other than that I'm not sure :frown:
Reply 6
Ooh that's tricky then...which do you enjoy the most out of drama/history. Do you know what career you'd like/consider? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think in terms of enjoyment I'd say Drama, even though I never took it for GCSE. With History I never took it for GCSE either, it's just I'm interested in the subject but I'm not a giant fan of it. With the future I'd love to be a part of the Film Industry or as a back-up plan a English teacher. I'm just worried that if I take Drama, Media and English then I'd have more than one soft subject when with History it's a traditional subject that most uni's like :frown:
Original post by twhiddy
I'm thinking of English Lit or with Film Studies or Media Studies alongside it but other than that I'm not sure :frown:

If I was in your situation I would take English Lit, History and Drama but I wouldn't want to discourage you from taking Media Studies if it's something you're really interested in and committed to taking. I just think that those subjects might be more useful whatever you end up applying for, but based on what you think you want to study at university I honestly think you'd be okay with whatever combination you choose. Obviously Drama ties in very well with English literature, but at the same time History will further demonstrate your ability to construct essays. It's probably just a case of sitting down and deciding what you think you'll enjoy the most and do best in. Do you have any idea what topics you'll be covering in history and what kind of drama texts/practical work is involved in the drama syllabus at your chosen school/college? If not you could definitely get in touch with the sixth form and ask them those kind of questions in order to make your decision a bit easier.
Original post by twhiddy
I think in terms of enjoyment I'd say Drama, even though I never took it for GCSE. With History I never took it for GCSE either, it's just I'm interested in the subject but I'm not a giant fan of it. With the future I'd love to be a part of the Film Industry or as a back-up plan a English teacher. I'm just worried that if I take Drama, Media and English then I'd have more than one soft subject when with History it's a traditional subject that most uni's like :frown:

Hmmm...well if it's the exact topics you'll be covering in history, I'd definitely go with that. If you want to specifically be an actor, for example, drama could help, otherwise I don't think you necessarily need a drama qualification for that. You could do extra curricular drama stuff? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
If I was in your situation I would take English Lit, History and Drama but I wouldn't want to discourage you from taking Media Studies if it's something you're really interested in and committed to taking. I just think that those subjects might be more useful whatever you end up applying for, but based on what you think you want to study at university I honestly think you'd be okay with whatever combination you choose. Obviously Drama ties in very well with English literature, but at the same time History will further demonstrate your ability to construct essays. It's probably just a case of sitting down and deciding what you think you'll enjoy the most and do best in. Do you have any idea what topics you'll be covering in history and what kind of drama texts/practical work is involved in the drama syllabus at your chosen school/college? If not you could definitely get in touch with the sixth form and ask them those kind of questions in order to make your decision a bit easier.

Thank you! If I were to take Drama, English Lit and Media do you think my choices would be narrowed in terms of uni? I don't want to take Drama and regret it because History would be broader and more respected :smile: Thank you for the detailed response :smile:
Reply 10
Hmmm...well if it's the exact topics you'll be covering in history, I'd definitely go with that. If you want to specifically be an actor, for example, drama could help, otherwise I don't think you necessarily need a drama qualification for that. You could do extra curricular drama stuff? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: I'm really not sure, I'm just worried that I won't enjoy History because I didn't take it for GCSE :frown:
Original post by twhiddy
Thank you :smile: I'm really not sure, I'm just worried that I won't enjoy History because I didn't take it for GCSE :frown:

Ohh well I would recommend finding out which exam board history is at your school then look into them briefly to see what kinds of topics there are and what you do. It might be an idea to ask a history teacher because they might be able to show you a textbook or a current student's book so you can have a better idea. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Ohh well I would recommend finding out which exam board history is at your school then look into them briefly to see what kinds of topics there are and what you do. It might be an idea to ask a history teacher because they might be able to show you a textbook or a current student's book so you can have a better idea. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by twhiddy
Thank you!! :smile:

You're welcome! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by twhiddy
Thank you! If I were to take Drama, English Lit and Media do you think my choices would be narrowed in terms of uni? I don't want to take Drama and regret it because History would be broader and more respected :smile: Thank you for the detailed response :smile:

For some courses at certain universities I feel as though you might be at a disadvantage by having subjects which are so connected, but for the majority of universities because you're aiming to study a degree that is connected to Drama, English Lit, and Media I honestly think you'll be okay. I studied my A levels 2007-09 and I really wish I'd paid less attention to people who told me to choose a broader range of subjects because now, 7 years later, I regret not having taken Theatre Studies alongside my English Lit A level. It's like I knew what I wanted when I chose my A levels but I was sent on a detour because people put doubts in my head about being so committed to what I knew I enjoyed. I think if you know you enjoy Drama it's much better to do an A level in that rather than study History because you think it's what you should do, because enjoyment and interest in a subject is going to mean you have motivation and are likely to do better in it.

Your personal statement when you apply to universities is also a chance to sell your A level choices to the people who make admissions decisions. If you make it clear that you've engaged with the dramatic texts that you've studied, and maybe do some wider academic reading relating to media topics and include references to that in your statement they'll be able to see that you have an interest in the academic side of those subjects as well as the more practical side and that's all they really care about - that you'll be able to engage with the critical academic side of your degree.

And it's no problem - thank you for appreciating it!
Reply 15
For some courses at certain universities I feel as though you might be at a disadvantage by having subjects which are so connected, but for the majority of universities because you're aiming to study a degree that is connected to Drama, English Lit, and Media I honestly think you'll be okay. I studied my A levels 2007-09 and I really wish I'd paid less attention to people who told me to choose a broader range of subjects because now, 7 years later, I regret not having taken Theatre Studies alongside my English Lit A level. It's like I knew what I wanted when I chose my A levels but I was sent on a detour because people put doubts in my head about being so committed to what I knew I enjoyed. I think if you know you enjoy Drama it's much better to do an A level in that rather than study History because you think it's what you should do, because enjoyment and interest in a subject is going to mean you have motivation and are likely to do better in it.

Your personal statement when you apply to universities is also a chance to sell your A level choices to the people who make admissions decisions. If you make it clear that you've engaged with the dramatic texts that you've studied, and maybe do some wider academic reading relating to media topics and include references to that in your statement they'll be able to see that you have an interest in the academic side of those subjects as well as the more practical side and that's all they really care about - that you'll be able to engage with the critical academic side of your degree.

And it's no problem - thank you for appreciating it!

Thank you for all the advice! :biggrin:
Why not contact the unis concerned/ course organisers and find out if they have a preference. Im all for doing the subjects you enjoy and get the bets grades in but you are doing 2 soft subjects. It might not limit your choice for course, but they are soft subjects.
History is a difficult A level. If you aren't fully committed to it, it won't be at all easy.

Quick Reply

Latest