The Student Room Group

Why do all women have to look sickly thin and all men like the hulk?

What is with this skinny epidemic. Thin people are great, but so are curvy people, athletic people, chubby people.....

WHY>?
I think the times of size 0 are pretty much already gone. For women anyway the scope of beauty has become much diverse in recent years.

Though this doesn't include the very niche market that is runway models, they're still very slim...but not anywhere near as bad as it used to be.
Girls aspire to look at models and if you have a look at victoria's secret angels or whatever they're called, they are STICK THIN. Boys on the other hand have to build muscle because they don't want to look like girls. Men also prefer skinnier girls.
unless you've been living under a rock there's been a huge push to more 'curvy' physiques for women, like that plus size model on sports illustrated, also fat acceptance is everywhere these days.
Original post by star80
Girls aspire to look at models and if you have a look at victoria's secret angels or whatever they're called, they are STICK THIN. Boys on the other hand have to build muscle because they don't want to look like girls. Men also prefer skinnier girls.

Men also prefer skinnier girls?

Rihanna, Beyonce, Shakira, Nicki Minaj, Kim Kardashian, Rita Ora......aren't skinny, little boys are skinny- so are these men secret homosexuals- or no?
Chubby isn't great and most women aren't skinny, the average BMI in the UK is 27 for men and 26.9 for women, both are pretty unacceptable.
Original post by GreekTea
Men also prefer skinnier girls?

Rihanna, Beyonce, Shakira, Nicki Minaj, Kim Kardashian, Rita Ora......aren't skinny, little boys are skinny- so are these men secret homosexuals- or no?

They aren't 'fat' or 'overweight'
Reply 7
they don't
I swear we keep moving forward with the new thing of "just be healthy" and then someone's like
"why duh wemen hav 2 b skunny"
and sends us right back to square one bc someone didn't get the memo :colonhash:
Original post by z33
they don't
I swear we keep moving forward with the new thing of "just be healthy" and then someone's like
"why duh wemen hav 2 b skunny"
and sends us right back to square one bc someone didn't get the memo :colonhash:

I completely agree.
Reply 9
Original post by GreekTea
What is with this skinny epidemic. Thin people are great, but so are curvy people, athletic people, chubby people.....

WHY>?

I thought that being fat was the new thing. Being think and sickly arose from the 60s when Twiggy was about.
Yes, it's all stupid.

I'd much rather look at a thin person than a chubby person though.
Original post by Joel 96
I thought that being fat was the new thing. Being think and sickly arose from the 60s when Twiggy was about.
Yes, it's all stupid.

I'd much rather look at a thin person than a chubby person though.

Basically being healthy is the trend but fat people are hijacking it by hating on skinny people without realising they are far worse and then they call it natural and healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Social expectations/ social pressure. As long as people are healthy and happy, size shouldn't really matter.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Basically being healthy is the trend but fat people are hijacking it by hating on skinny people without realising they are far worse and then they call it natural and healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worst excuse is when they say "I'm not fat, I'm average", like just because somebody is average weight/bf% that doesn't mean it's not fat, when the average person is overweight that suddenly makes it healthy? lol no
Original post by star80

Different people prefer different things :colonhash:
Society is quick to change.
Reply 15
Its because what we always see in magazine. Where do we get the idea? From the skinny models we see.
coming from someone who is/was borderline underweight and aspire(d/s) to be underweight for a long time..
It's not as "black and white" as you make it out to be. (re: women want skinny, men want muscly)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending