The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

There doesn't seem to be a thread for us yet so here it is!

Who else is a 2018 applicant?

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering when this thread would arrive, welcome :h:

I'm a first year at the RVC now so feel free to shoot me any questions about applying/vet school in general. :smile:
Hey, how are your GCSE's going? :smile: You started getting any work ex?

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I was wondering when this thread would arrive, welcome :h:

Me too, It's not like I've been waiting or anything :mmm: :flip:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yep, been looking at the 2017 thread...

Still putting off proper revision until the Easter holidays...but it's getting quite soon!
Reply 4
Been waiting for someone to start this thread! Even though we should be revising and not on TSR! How is everybody doing with work experience...have you got much planned??
You guys all could have created this thread yourselves you know :lol:
Reply 6
Revision plan made, no revision started.

Experience is getting there with my local practice and some other stuff but need to start ticking off the list and score those points.
Original post by CCB2000
Revision plan made, no revision started .

Exactly the same....my plan only starts at Easter tho so...

Experience wise...I've got some planned for the summer, a vet practice, a zoo, and some equine work for October, still can't find any farms vets anywhere though. Is anyone else having this problem?!
Reply 8
Original post by Saphire_x

Experience wise...I've got some planned for the summer, a vet practice, a zoo, and some equine work for October, still can't find any farms vets anywhere though. Is anyone else having this problem?!

If you go on google maps and search for large animal vets [your town] the nearest ones should show, then its just a matter of phoning around. I ended up having to go to one an hours drive away XD
Reply 9

So many of the large animal vets have a miniumum age of 18 so really struggling. I think I may be able to do a week with an equine vet but just waiting for definite yes. Otherwise a mixed animal vets I am doing work experience for have suggested I 'happen to be' at a work experience farm on a day when the vets are due to go but obviously the farmer needs to agree! It's because of insurance that so many vets need you to be 18, I guess.
I'm 20 and I'm still struggling to find LA work ex. Most LA vets only seem to offer EMS placements for vet students.
Original post by tepeon
If you go on google maps and search for large animal vets [your town] the nearest ones should show, then its just a matter of phoning around. I ended up having to go to one an hours drive away XD

Thanks I will try this...I have tried just googling LA vets near me but there only 2 within about an hour (one is a chain ) and they have an age limit of 18 :frown:
Reply 12
Thanks I will try this...I have tried just googling LA vets near me but there only 2 within about an hour (one is a chain ) and they have an age limit of 18 :frown:

Maybe try looking for mixed practices then? Also, if you have any farm work experience you could ask the farmers what vet they use
Original post by Nessie162
I'm 20 and I'm still struggling to find LA work ex. Most LA vets only seem to offer EMS placements for vet students.

I had a similar issue in my area (including for mixed vets). In the end I stayed with a family friend in different country for a week.
I'm a 3rd year at RVC if you have any questions at all ☺️ Terrifying that I will have graduated by the time you guys start vet school!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello! I think this is the thread for me, I'm currently in Year 11?

I've only just started proper revision now too :s-smilie:

I'm thinking of starting to get in touch with people now as I'm eager to get some experience and start doing voluntary work during summer. Do many places take on 16/17 year olds? (I turn 17 this September.) I've already done 1 week at a small zoo (which was incredible) which took place in March of last year, can this go towards my experience for application?

Anyone who has been in Year 11 and now at vet school got any tips for what to do at this stage? Thanks!:biggrin:

Also, I have picked my A-Level courses now too:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-History
-Physics (which I'll drop after AS)
Original post by katerebecca
hello! I think this is the thread for me, I'm currently in Year 11?

I've only just started proper revision now too :s-smilie:

I'm thinking of starting to get in touch with people now as I'm eager to get some experience and start doing voluntary work during summer. Do many places take on 16/17 year olds? (I turn 17 this September.) I've already done 1 week at a small zoo (which was incredible) which took place in March of last year, can this go towards my experience for application?

Anyone who has been in Year 11 and now at vet school got any tips for what to do at this stage? Thanks!:biggrin:

Also, I have picked my A-Level courses now too:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-History
-Physics (which I'll drop after AS)

IMO year 11 is probably the best time to start WEX, so we'll done for being on the ball :biggrin: quite a few places do take 16 year olds, your best bet is to research. Vets can vary on the age that they take people; small animal practices usually take 16 year olds, so ring them ASAP as they'll be getting booked up now for summer (plus you'll be competing with actual vet students on EMS & unfortunately they often take priority). Large animal can be funny; I was able to get into a mixed practice and see some farm work when I was 17 but a lot of people have said many won't accept under 18s due to insurance.
When I was 16 I used to volunteer at a Riding for The Disabled stable every Saturday and I thought that was a great placement :smile: the staff were good at teaching and I loved working with the kids. I didn't learn or see any particularly technical 'vetty' stuff, but im not from a horsey or farming background so it helped my confidence working with bigger animals. I also volunteered at a petting zoo last summer which had lots of exotics, and they actually took volunteers from as young as 14!

I think ringing people for placements is much better than writing too, as they can give you an answer straight away over the phone.

The only thing I'd say is prioritise your grades over WEX & extra stuff; when I was in my first year of college I was trying to do volunteering, WEX, learn to drive, have music lessons & other extra curriculars and I basically failed AS chemistry and physics and had to do a third year. I don't regret doing the third year, because I got the grades I needed and it gave me chance to do more WEX & I was more mature, but there was a lot of uncertainty at the time. I did the old system of A levels but even then my college debated letting me resit a year and we didn't know if I'd even make it to the interview stage, let alone get offers. So remember: you only have two years to get the grades you need but you can take as many gap years as you need if you don't have enough WEX
Original post by Louiseee_
IMO year 11 is probably the best time to start WEX, so we'll done for being on the ball :biggrin: quite a few places do take 16 year olds, your best bet is to research. Vets can vary on the age that they take people; small animal practices usually take 16 year olds, so ring them ASAP as they'll be getting booked up now for summer (plus you'll be competing with actual vet students on EMS & unfortunately they often take priority). Large animal can be funny; I was able to get into a mixed practice and see some farm work when I was 17 but a lot of people have said many won't accept under 18s due to insurance.
When I was 16 I used to volunteer at a Riding for The Disabled stable every Saturday and I thought that was a great placement :smile: the staff were good at teaching and I loved working with the kids. I didn't learn or see any particularly technical 'vetty' stuff, but im not from a horsey or farming background so it helped my confidence working with bigger animals. I also volunteered at a petting zoo last summer which had lots of exotics, and they actually took volunteers from as young as 14!

I think ringing people for placements is much better than writing too, as they can give you an answer straight away over the phone.

The only thing I'd say is prioritise your grades over WEX & extra stuff; when I was in my first year of college I was trying to do volunteering, WEX, learn to drive, have music lessons & other extra curriculars and I basically failed AS chemistry and physics and had to do a third year. I don't regret doing the third year, because I got the grades I needed and it gave me chance to do more WEX & I was more mature, but there was a lot of uncertainty at the time. I did the old system of A levels but even then my college debated letting me resit a year and we didn't know if I'd even make it to the interview stage, let alone get offers. So remember: you only have two years to get the grades you need but you can take as many gap years as you need if you don't have enough WEX

Hi thank you so much for your wonderful reply:biggrin:!

I go horse riding and I'm definitely going to ask if I could start helping out there after my exams finish as a long term thing, as I'd heard that it was good to have something long term on your application in order to look committed. I used to volunteer there when I was around 10 and the family who owns the riding school are family friends so I don't think it should be much of a problem!

I'll make sure to bare that in mind about grades before WEX. I always seem to forget that it's much easier to take that extra year out for WEX than spend it going through the stress of re taking a year.

What was the process like for you during A Levels in terms of getting the grades and applying? What is it like applying for Vet school? How helpful was your school? (Sorry about all the questions haha)

:colondollar:
I'm a 4th year vet student at Nottingham :smile: I'll be long qualified by the time you guys even apply :zomg: I'm happy to answer any questions you have :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
I'm a 4th year vet student at Nottingham :smile: I'll be long qualified by the time you guys even apply :zomg: I'm happy to answer any questions you have :smile:

Is maths studies accepted for veterinary medicine?

UPDATE: it is!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest