The Student Room Group

Identifying as a different race - transracial

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feel Tha Bern
They're based on completely arbitrary percieved notions

Perhaps but that's besides the point, but notions that can't be changed nevertheless.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
The concept of race in itself has done no damage. It's when people introduced the idea that one race is 'superior' to another that caused damage. Even without defined races, you think people wouldn't notice themselves the diverse variation in humans and split themselves into 'groups' based on this.

Racism is not just about being seen as inferior, it is about being seen as DIFFERENT. It is being classed in a different group that leads to subtle racism such as stereotyping and prejudice. For example if my white group of friends decides to not invite me to any rock events just because I am black, that is racist because they are treating me differently due to my race. However it doesnt mean they see my as inferior, they just see me as different, and this is down to racial construct.
Original post by Zargabaath
Perhaps but that's besides the point, but notions that can't be changed nevertheless.

Of course they can.

the theory of gravity is totally objective, unlike notions of race which are made up.
Reply 43
Ethnicity has no biological validity either, stop promoting these prejudices

Oh u so silly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course they can.

the theory of gravity is totally objective, unlike notions of race which are made up.

Explain to me how you change your ethnic background. A time machine isn't a valid answer either.
Explain to me how you change your genetic makeup.
Explain to me how you change your ethnic background. A time machine isn't a valid answer either.

I'm not claiming I can change my genetics, I am just scientifically aware such that I know that your race has no basis in biology given that it was invented by Victorian racists rather than actual scientists.
Why would anyone want to identify as anything besides white. White supremacy rocks. This is why I have all the supporters behind me.
Original post by alkaline.
LLOOOOOoOOOOOLLL WHAT THE HELL I'm not white.

I know what damage white people discriminating against people of colour has done. you can blame white people for that, but not the existence of race itself. people have difference races it's that humans took it upon themselves to discriminate ffs.

Then you are very confused or have never experienced racism. It's people like you who allow racism to continue because you are naive and think it is okay to stand by. You are of colour and without shame can tell another person of colour to not be revolutionary? Thank goodness MLK came before you.

Like i said to the other poster, and as a person of colour you should already know, that racism is not only due to being classed as inferior, but being classed as different. Its being set apart into separate races that gives lead to stereotyping and prejudice.
Original post by NicoleArbour
Why would anyone want to identify as anything besides white. White supremacy rocks. This is why I have all the supporters behind me.

This is a safe space and has no place for White Supremacy.
This is a safe space and has no place for White Supremacy.

Shuttup Bernie, you're irrelevant.
Looks like the science is backing me

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17595942

>achievements by ethnic peoples are not genetically determined and that race and ethnicity are merely terms to describe external features, language, culture, social mores and folklore.

> Scientists involved with the first mapping of the human genome have noted that there is no basis in the genetic code for race.

mfw transracial
I'm not claiming I can change my genetics, I am just scientifically aware such that I know that your race has no basis in biology given that it was invented by Victorian racists rather than actual scientists.

Okay, but that still doesn't mean you can change your race. No matter what your thoughts on the definition, it doesn't change what it is. The fact is you cannot change the things that constitute towards you race so you cannot change your race. If you wanted to debate the validity of race as a construct you should've made a thread about that instead.
Original post by jennaz77
Then you are very confused or have never experienced racism. It's people like you who allow racism to continue because you are naive and think it is okay to stand by. You are of colour and without shame can tell another person of colour to not be revolutionary? Thank goodness MLK came before you.

Like i said to the other poster, and as a person of colour you should already know, that racism is not only due to being classed as inferior, but being classed as different. Its being set apart into separate races that gives lead to stereotyping and prejudice.

it's about accepting that people are different in some ways but they shouldn't be treated differently, not just being ignorant like you are and thinking race doesn't exist.

I'm not confused, and I have experienced racism before. You're not being revolutionary for the right thing that's why I said don't so my own opinion. I'm not black either.

No, it's due to being classed as inferior. People are different, so I don't know why you are trying to argue they're not.
Okay, but that still doesn't mean you can change your race. No matter what your thoughts on the definition, it doesn't change what it is. The fact is you cannot change the things that constitute towards you race so you cannot change your race. If you wanted to debate the validity of race as a construct you should've made a thread about that instead.

See above, race is determined by customs, language and folklore, not genetics, I can change all of these things.

So provided I learn Arabic and behave within Arabic cultural norms, I will become an Arab.

All joking aside:

There are genetic markers attached to being female/male. There are genetic markers attached to being a specific sex. In fact, there are far -more- genetic markers associated with sex than race.

But sex and gender are different. Gender is a social construct while sex is a genetic/biological construct.

This is why inanimate objects can have genders - You can say "Mother Russia" or call Germany "The Fatherland". You can talk about a boat by saying, "She" or the like.

When people do that, they aren't saying Russia has breasts or a boat has a womb, they're saying that they have characteristics that are primarily associated with being feminine or masculine.

It's the same with transsexuals - They identify as a different gender, not sex. A man who identifies as female is just as much a sex-based female as Russia or that boat is and it is just as legitimate to identify a male(sex) by a female gender as it is to identify the inanimate country Russia as female.

That's fine. Linguistically, it is absolutely, 100% correct to refer to a male by the female gender rather than the male sex. It's problematic, however, when people confuse sex and gender and start demanding rights based upon their gender(Which is a social construct) rather than their sex(Which is biological).

If someone wants to put on makeup and feels pretty in a bra, whatever - Let your freak flag fly. More power to you. There are issues, however, with the modern world confusing 'Sex' with 'Gender' on both sides of the aisle - Not just those against transsexualism.

I am as much Hawaiian for putting on a Hawaiian shirt, playing the Ukulele and sprinkling polynesian words in my speech as a man is a female for putting on a skirt and bra.
(edited 8 years ago)
>race/gender
>social construct

hahahah
it's about accepting that people are different in some ways but they shouldn't be treated differently, not just being ignorant like you are and thinking race doesn't exist.

I'm not confused, and I have experienced racism before. You're not being revolutionary for the right thing that's why I said don't so my own opinion. I'm not black either.

No, it's due to being classed as inferior. People are different, so I don't know why you are trying to argue they're not.

So if my white group of friends decide to not invite me whenever they go to a rock concert or to the pub because I am black, is that because they see me as inferior? No it's not, it because I fit within a racial construct that has been associated with certain stereotypes. It's racism because I'm different not because I'm inferior. Yes you are confused.
(edited 8 years ago)
Racism is not just about being seen as inferior, it is about being seen as DIFFERENT. It is being classed in a different group that leads to subtle racism such as stereotyping and prejudice. For example if my white group of friends decides to not invite me to any rock events just because I am black, that is racist because they are treating me differently due to my race. However it doesnt mean they see my as inferior, they just see me as different, and this is down to racial construct.

We are all different, and we must accept those differences. You can't pretend that all humans are the same-we are EQUAL,but we are not the same. My white friends have different features to me,as do my Asian ones;we are different,but do these differences matter? Absolutely not. Racism is not recognising someone as different. It's when you discriminate against someone solely because of those differences. As humans, we class each other into groups every time. It's just natural
So if my white group of friends decide to not invite me whenever they go to a rock concert or to the pub because I am black, is that because they see me as inferior? No it's not, it because I fit within a racial construct that has been associated with certain stereotypes. Yes you are confused.

nope that would be because you have sh*t friends.
I feel sorry for you and am not bothering to argue with you anymore.
nope that would be because you have sh*t friends.
I feel sorry for you and am not bothering to argue with you anymore.

And why are the friends sh*t? You don't see that it's because of race? To be honest I feel more sorry for you because if one day you come across friends who treat you like this you won't even know that you are the victim of racism.

Quick Reply

Latest