The Student Room Group

Aston or Durham?

Hi,
I want to study biomedical science and in order to work in the NHS the course has to be accredited by the IBMS. Only one Russell group university provided this course (Durham) but the grades were AAA, so I did not apply. I applied to Aston however as their grades were ABB. I have received an offer from Aston (ABB) and it is my first choice. It is a really good university for biomed and I visited and really liked both the university and the surrounding area (right in the middle of Birmingham). What I'm wondering is, if I manage to get AAA, should I apply to Durham through adjustment? The only thing compelling me is that its generally a 'better' university, which of course is important but to be honest Aston appeals to me much more. Also, Aston is better for my course so what is more valued, the better university for your course or just the better university?
Thanks for any advice :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by daviem
Hi,
I want to study biomedical science and in order to work in the NHS the course has to be accredited by the IBMS. Only one Russell group university provided this course (Durham) but the grades were AAA, so I did not apply. I applied to Aston however as their grades were ABB. I have received an offer from Aston (ABB) and it is my first choice. It is a really good university for biomed and I visited and really liked both the university and the surrounding area (right in the middle of Birmingham). What I'm wondering is, if I manage to get AAA, should I apply to Durham through adjustment? The only thing compelling me is that its generally a 'better' university, which of course is important but to be honest Aston appeals to me much more. Also, Aston is better for my course so what is more valued, the better university for your course or just the better university?

Choose the better course before the "better" uni.
Original post by daviem
Hi,

Durham generally does not do adjustment even if you got 3 a stars so you may have missed that ship for this year!
Original post by Hannahmay01
Durham generally does not do adjustment even if you got 3 a stars so you may have missed that ship for this year!

That's not true. Durham have been in clearing the past three years so there is no reason they wouldn't consider an application via adjustment. The only unis not in adjustment last year, I believe, were Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE and UCL.
Reply 4

Original post by ageshallnot
That's not true. Durham have been in clearing the past three years so there is no reason they wouldn't consider an application via adjustment. The only unis not in adjustment last year, I believe, were Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE and UCL.

Yep! They even have a page for it (but too early to list any courses for 2016)

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/applicants/adjustment/
If you have nothing to lose by applying to Durham, then go for it

I am on the exec of my college at Durham and I would not get your hopes up on expecting courses to be in clearing. The principals of the colleges are very much against it as we have had huge problems with accommodating clearing students in recent years.
I am on the exec of my college at Durham and I would not get your hopes up on expecting courses to be in clearing. The principals of the colleges are very much against it as we have had huge problems with accommodating clearing students in recent years.

Firstly, it's not my hopes, it's the OP's. Secondly, we are talking about adjustment, not clearing. Thirdly, and parenthetically, Durham has developed the reputation of treating clearing applicants very badly - perhaps this explains why.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Choose the better course before the "better" uni.

Hmmm, yeah, I think as its a science subject the standard of the university isn't all that important either compared to things like work placement opportunities.
Thanks for the help!
Reply 9

I'm guessing that's just because those universities have so many applicants anyway? I do find it weird though that some don't take part in adjustment because I don't think it's a bad thing at all, and I think it would probably be unlikely that every place on every course was filled.
Thanks for replying!
Reply 10
Original post by sunnydespair
If you have nothing to lose by applying to Durham, then go for it

Yeah but then if I got in the question is whether or not I should go for it haha.
Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 11

Yeah, adjustment not clearing.
Thanks for the input though. Also, what exactly do you mean by the "exec".
Original post by daviem
Yeah, adjustment not clearing.
Thanks for the input though. Also, what exactly do you mean by the "exec".

Every college has a student board, a bit like a student's union but we actually make a difference. I am charities rep. Its like a council with a paid sabbatical president and treasurer and positions such as welfare, events etc.
Reply 13
Original post by daviem
Hmmm, yeah, I think as its a science subject the standard of the university isn't all that important either compared to things like work placement opportunities.
Thanks for the help!

And just be aware that Adjustment is relatively small. Approx 1,200 students placed via adjustment in 2013 out of over 600,000 in total.

Have a read of this for more info about Adjustment
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4520-Are-you-ready-to-upgrade-Why-now-is-the-time-to-get-ready-to-use-Adjustment-on-A-level-results-day
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Every college has a student board, a bit like a student's union but we actually make a difference. I am charities rep. Its like a council with a paid sabbatical president and treasurer and positions such as welfare, events etc.

So what do you do in terms of adjustment?
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
And just be aware that Adjustment is relatively small. Approx 1,200 students placed via adjustment in 2013.

Have a read of this for more info about Adjustment
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4520-Are-you-ready-to-upgrade-Why-now-is-the-time-to-get-ready-to-use-Adjustment-on-A-level-results-day

Thanks for the link its really helpful
Hi there,

Not to pressure your decision in any way, but i was just wondering if you have any more questions about Aston or Birmingham in general? :smile:

Josh
Reply 17
Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

Not to pressure your decision in any way, but i was just wondering if you have any more questions about Aston or Birmingham in general? :smile:

Josh

Hi,
Thanks for the message, I feel a bit embaressed actually because like I said I really like Aston univiersity and I really want to attend! To be quite honest i really wouldnt want to go toanother university, Russell group doesn't matter to me I was just curious as to others' thoughts on the matter. Besides Aston is amazing for biomed so I couldnt get a better choice! But actually i do have some questions about the placement oppourtunity on the course for which there are limitted places (the placement that enables hcpc registration). Do you have any advice on how best to go about securing one of these placements?
Thanks

Quick Reply