The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Olympiad 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A02
Yep, how did you do in the paper overall?

I got 1,2,4 right, 3 i got wrong (do you think I'll still get 6 or 7 marks?), 5 I didnt do and 6 I did slightly differently. I hopefully got around 40.

How did everyone else do?
Reply 81
Original post by jina1106
I got 1,2,4 right, 3 i got wrong (do you think I'll still get 6 or 7 marks?), 5 I didnt do and 6 I did slightly differently. I hopefully got around 40.

From past experiance in the JMO, you'll either get 3 or 8 marks for q3, depnding on how the examiner feels.

I didn't do as well as I was hoping to.. I got questions 2,4,and 5 right, but I forgot to write the answer in question 1, got question 3 wrong, and I prime factored the numbers 1-10 in question 5 (I did it differently).

And I did question 6 differently too..(the triangle next to the small heptagon was isosceles) - do you get marked down even if your answer is a well-reasoned one?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Orion22
I didn't do as well as I was hoping to.. I got questions 2,4,and 5 right, but I forgot to write the answer in question 1, got question 3 wrong, and I prime factored the numbers 1-10 in question 5 (I did it differently).

And I did question 6 differently too..(the triangle next to the small heptagon was isosceles) - do you get marked down even if your answer is a well-reasoned one?

I think as long as its correct you get full marks
Original post by Orion22

I did question 6 the same way as you, I've never done an olympiad before so I don't know how they mark the answers, but I would think they would still give at least 9 or 10 marks as long as there is good reasoning. After all, there's not just one way of working out in maths!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 123Master321
I think as long as its correct you get full marks

I really hope so. It would be great if they do:smile:

I did question 6 the same way as you, I've never done an olympiad before so I don't know how they mark the answers, but I would think they would still give at least 9 or 10 marks as long as there is good reasoning. After all, there's not just one way of working out in maths!

Trouble is, sometimes the markers are quite grumpy! The first time I did the Junior Olympiad, one of my answers was wrong, but my method in the solution itself was quite close to theirs. Guess how many marks I got for that question? 0 :frown:

For all we know, they could be marking our papers right now:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I got 1,2 and 5 right - didn't see through 3 but I hope to get a few marks from that. Anyway, hope I get distinction!
Reply 87
Original post by Orion22
I really hope so. It would be great if they do:smile:

Trouble is, sometimes the markers are quite grumpy! The first time I did the Junior Olympiad, one of my answers was wrong, but my method in the solution itself was quite close to theirs. Guess how many marks I got for that question? 0 :frown:

For all we know, they could be marking our papers right now:biggrin:

If the method and answer are right, regardeless of it is the same as theirs, then you should get 10.
I'm nervous: for the JMO last year, I got 9,7 and 5 marks. The 9 and 7 I thought were fair but the 5, I thought, deserved 9. I hope I get distinction this year
Original post by abcdefghij1234
I'm nervous: for the JMO last year, I got 9,7 and 5 marks. The 9 and 7 I thought were fair but the 5, I thought, deserved 9. I hope I get distinction this year

What did you do wrong to get 5
Original post by 123Master321
What did you do wrong to get 5

I used a diagram instead of words to show something and also phrased something a different way. It was also a little messy (a few crossings-out) but otherwise legible.
Hi!
I also did Cayley Olympiad and found it generally much easier than last year's paper (which I also did, and got a distinction- I was in year 8). I had enough time to answer all the questions fully, and now that the answers are online, I am feeling fairly confident, and I am really hoping for a distinction again (maybe, just maybe a medal, but probably not)!
Original post by amanoharan
Hi!
I also did Cayley Olympiad and found it generally much easier than last year's paper (which I also did, and got a distinction- I was in year 8). I had enough time to answer all the questions fully, and now that the answers are online, I am feeling fairly confident, and I am really hoping for a distinction again (maybe, just maybe a medal, but probably not)!

Good luck!
I hope that I had been able to answer all 6 (I could only answer 4 questions, and one was only half-right).
Original post by TheBigBrick
I don't know about your school but in mine they get emailed, so I can find out my score for each question on Monday hopefully, and get the paper back on Thursday or after easter

Have you actually got your score
Has anyone got their score? UKMT said that the results have been emailed to schools..
Thresholds are up
Original post by Orion22
Has anyone got their score? UKMT said that the results have been emailed to schools..

Not yet!
How do you think you did. Also, did you do Cayley?
I know almost for a fact that I got merit (only answered 4 questions, but answered them well).
Good luck!
I hope that I had been able to answer all 6 (I could only answer 4 questions, and one was only half-right).

Thank you, and good luck to you too! I guess it's not really about answering all of them, just making sure you really concentrate on the ones you're confident in.

Now that the thresholds are up, I'm not so confident, but remember, we have all done really well to get so far, so just to do the Olympiad is an achievement :smile:
Not yet!
How do you think you did. Also, did you do Cayley?
I know almost for a fact that I got merit (only answered 4 questions, but answered them well).

Yep I did Cayley. I thought the thresholds would be crazily high this year as it was much easier than previous years.

I answered all 6, but got one question wrong and I did two others differently.. So I'm not too sure what I'm going to get:s-smilie:
All my solutions were basically the exact same as the official solutions. I'm hoping for 60, but if I have made small errors in my workings that could well be 58 or 59. (Hamilton). I did BMO1 and 2 earlier in the year and I was quite thankful it wasn't as difficult as that. If it was, I might have tried to eat my brain...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending