The Student Room Group

why is it mainly powerlifters that cause such a ruckus in the gym?

shouting, panting, pacing around, stomping

meanwhile olympic lifters throw 200+KG over their head and theres no great build up and most of them remain fairly silent throughout the lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's an ego competition. That's literally all it is.

Have you noticed they get louder when females walk past?? LOL
When I benchpress I sometimes unintentonally grunt and I am at noob weight. Why because it helps me add some extra power on that last rep, and who cares? Most gyms play music outloud itsnnot like i am disturbing anyone.

Harers gonna hate on whatever you do
Original post by Straighthate
shouting, panting, pacing around, stomping

meanwhile olympic lifters throw 200+KG over their head and theres no great build up and most of them remain fairly silent throughout the lift

Very few olympic lifters are putting up numbers close to that.

I suspect that much of the noise comes from the grinding through it aspect of the lift - something that is largely absent from olympic weightlifting, except perhaps the standing up out of a clean, but even then most olympic lifters are easily strong enough to do this without much hassle.
incorrect technique, virtually no cardio (sure its nice doing weights and lifitng hundreds of kilos with upper body but if you cant keep up with a short fat guy on cardio or lower body weights, you are screwed), as someone mentioned earlier: tryin to show their "manliness"
Original post by quasa
incorrect technique, virtually no cardio (sure its nice doing weights and lifitng hundreds of kilos with upper body but if you cant keep up with a short fat guy on cardio or lower body weights, you are screwed), as someone mentioned earlier: tryin to show their "manliness"

I'm actually very certain that powerlifters could easily keep up with a "short fat guy" on "lower body weights".
If you're not making noises then you're not training hard enough.
😂 simple, it's less about technique than other lifting only brute power is required hence the need for a lot of people to psych themselves up. Then the fact that a 300-400kg squat or deadlift is literally draining the life out of the lifter.

It takes an awful lot of discipline and mental toughness to be a decent powerlifter or to shift very heavy weights in general.
I've only seen gym Bros make much noise. Most strong guys are pretty damn quiet other than on something like the negative of a deadlift.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this another fact you learned from the Misc?
Original post by SmashConcept
Is this another fact you learned from the Misc?

no, i learned it unfortunately from my own gym
Original post by CharlieGEM
😂 simple, it's less about technique than other lifting only brute power is required hence the need for a lot of people to psych themselves up. Then the fact that a 300-400kg squat or deadlift is literally draining the life out of the lifter.

It takes an awful lot of discipline and mental toughness to be a decent powerlifter or to shift very heavy weights in general.

People are squatting and deadlifting 400kg in your gym? :zomg:
Original post by nase14_aldayz
People are squatting and deadlifting 400kg in your gym? :zomg:

Well this week I did 300x3 rep set of squats, 300x5 rep set of deadlifts.

Max lift on the deadlift would be 340 on regular and 380 on an 18" deadlift.

There is someone else that can deadlift 300+ as well.
Well this week I did 300x3 rep set of squats, 300x5 rep set of deadlifts.

Max lift on the deadlift would be 340 on regular and 380 on an 18" deadlift.

There is someone else that can deadlift 300+ as well.

Video or didn't happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Video or didn't happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, if you know me you can check out my Facebook with enough vids on there to prove what I say is true (300x3 squat, 720 hack squat, 300x4 deadlift while rehabbing an injury etc), otherwise bad luck 😉.
Lol, if you know me you can check out my Facebook with enough vids on there to prove what I say is true (300x3 squat, 720 hack squat, 300x4 deadlift while rehabbing an injury etc), otherwise bad luck 😉.

Is this lbs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber

No. 300 kg is seven 20 plates a side.
No. 300 kg is seven 20 plates a side.

Having seen your vids I know believe you to be legit

Congrats you're the strongest guy on here :tongue:
how do u know they're powerlifters? they're probably meat head bodybuilders.
Original post by SAhm95
how do u know they're powerlifters? they're probably meat head bodybuilders.

they compete and do sumo deads

Quick Reply

Latest