The Student Room Group

Durham vs Bristol for Biochemistry

Hi, I've got offers for both Biochemistry at Bristol and Biosciences (which you can do a Biochemistry route in) at Durham and I'm finding it really difficult to decide between them.

For Bristol, I like how you have a wider choice of different biochemistry modules and how you can do more of the chemistry end of biochemistry but the Durham course looks really good as well. I particularly like the Durham college system because it gives you the chance to be part of a smaller community and do societies within your college etc. I also like the idea of the tradition and gowned formals. I would prefer to be in a smaller city like Durham if I was just choosing on that but obviously Bristol isn't that big compared with other UK cities. Bristol is also quite a long way from where I live (near Edinburgh) so I would have to either fly down or go on the train for 6-7 hours whereas Durham only takes 1-2 hours by train. I've also heard that a lot of people choose to go to Bristol for the nightlife and I'm not really into clubbing, drinking etc. I'm not teetotal or anything but I'm just more into going to pubs or staying in and watching a film or something. I am very interested in joining societies and things though. Are there other things to do in Bristol if you're not into clubbing? Or will I be virtually the only one? Also, how safe would you say Bristol is as a city?

From what I've read it looks like Bristol has a better international reputation but Durham has a better reputation in the UK and is sometimes seen as more academic. If so, which do you think would be better for employment prospects?

Any opinions on which one I should choose or any other information about either would be really helpful. Thank you in advance. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hiya :h: I've moved this to the Life Sciences forum for you - hopefully you'll get better responses here.

You may find the university subfora useful for getting specific information about Durham and Bristol, and hopefully this forum for information about reputation, prospects etc.

Good luck! :h:
Pick the course that interests you more. If you plan to stay in science you will need a postgrad degree so it won't matter where you did your undergrad (they're both decent unis) and if you want to do something else your prospects will depend on what skills and experience you've gained. Both unis will have non drinking/partying things to do.
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Hiya :h: I've moved this to the Life Sciences forum for you - hopefully you'll get better responses here.

You may find the university subfora useful for getting specific information about Durham and Bristol, and hopefully this forum for information about reputation, prospects etc.

Good luck! :h:

Thank you, I'll post on the Durham and Bristol forums as well. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending