The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Transfer to KCL - yes or no?

Hi there! I'm a 1st year student at Edinburgh Uni. I'm studying Philosophy and Theology (MA- which is like a 4 year bachelor).I need some advise and opinions on transferring - currently I'm at UoE, but I received an offer for 2nd year entry at KCL. Go to London or stay in Edinburgh? Every honest recommendation very much appreciated.I would like to transfer to KCL for very personal reasons - good friends & boyfriend in London. Family in Germany.So it is like I have 3 homes... Which is a bit much and emotionally exhausting (sorry to sound like a baby - I hope you understand what I mean anyway).I'm struggling to settle in Edinburgh. However, I am worried that I'll "downgrade". Isn't UoE's reputation better? Also, I am not sure what employers will think of a transfer (power of endurance etc.).Additionally, the degree at KCL is a different one - BA Religion, Philosophy and Ethics, and it's only 3 years. Would that be disadvantageous you think?Any experiences? What do KCL / UoE students think?Thanks a lot guys!
Original post by Wilhelmine20
Hi there! I'm a 1st year student at Edinburgh Uni. I'm studying Philosophy and Theology (MA- which is like a 4 year bachelor).I need some advise and opinions on transferring - currently I'm at UoE, but I received an offer for 2nd year entry at KCL. Go to London or stay in Edinburgh? Every honest recommendation very much appreciated.I would like to transfer to KCL for very personal reasons - good friends & boyfriend in London. Family in Germany.So it is like I have 3 homes... Which is a bit much and emotionally exhausting (sorry to sound like a baby - I hope you understand what I mean anyway).I'm struggling to settle in Edinburgh. However, I am worried that I'll "downgrade". Isn't UoE's reputation better? Also, I am not sure what employers will think of a transfer (power of endurance etc.).Additionally, the degree at KCL is a different one - BA Religion, Philosophy and Ethics, and it's only 3 years. Would that be disadvantageous you think?Any experiences? What do KCL / UoE students think?Thanks a lot guys!

I got offers from both KCL and Edinburgh, I chose KCL. Edinburgh is a great uni, but for certain subjects, including Philosophy and Theology, KCL is equally good if not better. King's is particularly famous for religious studies, since it formerly served as one of the foremost seminaries for the Church of England and has produced various archbishops (including a recent archbishop of Canterbury) as well as the current Chief Rabbi of the UK.

RPandE is King's flagship religious studies degree, I expect its content isn't too different to the Edinburgh degree (you can check on the KCL website for the content of the modules). Obviously the main problem would be tuition fees: I'm guessing you get free tution fees as a German studying in Scotland, but fees for foreign students in England can be very high.

You might want to read this article also: https://thetab.com/uk/kings/2016/03/06/i-transferred-kcl-st-andrews-kings-better-7894
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Copperknickers
I got offers from both KCL and Edinburgh, I chose KCL. Edinburgh is a great uni, but for certain subjects, including Philosophy and Theology, KCL is equally good if not better. King's is particularly famous for religious studies, since it formerly served as one of the foremost seminaries for the Church of England and has produced various archbishops (including a recent archbishop of Canterbury) as well as the current Chief Rabbi of the UK.

RPandE is King's flagship religious studies degree, I expect its content isn't too different to the Edinburgh degree (you can check on the KCL website for the content of the modules). Obviously the main problem would be tuition fees: I'm guessing you get free tution fees as a German studying in Scotland, but fees for foreign students in England can be very high.

You might want to read this article also: https://thetab.com/uk/kings/2016/03/06/i-transferred-kcl-st-andrews-kings-better-7894

thanks a lot for your detailed answer that actually helped a lot! It was really good to read the blog, too, to see what other people who transferred think. Study fees are an issue, bur when I first decided to go to Edinburgh I didn't realise that it is actually quite easy to get a student loan as an EU student.It will take me a while to decide, but I kind of lost my fear of "downgrading" now I think.

Does anyone else who transferred in general or to/from KCL have any advise?

Quick Reply

Latest