The Student Room Group

C1 maths Help

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the tag @thefatone but looks like someone beat me ;D
Original post by Student403
Thanks for the tag @thefatone but looks like someone beat me ;D

so far for question 9b i've integrated for part a and it tells me the graph goes through the origin so constant=0
y=6x-2x²-x³

y=x(6-2x-x²)

then i used the quadratic formula and got 2±√28/-2 = -1±√7 is that right?
Original post by thefatone
so far for question 9b i've integrated for part a and it tells me the graph goes through the origin so constant=0
y=6x-2x²-x³

y=x(6-2x-x²)

Almost there, just do (-1+√7) - (-1 -√7) to get 2√7, which is the length AB :smile:
Original post by Dapperblook22
Almost there, just do (-1+√7) - (-1 -√7) to get 2√7, which is the length AB :smile:

that's what i was stuck on i knew you had to something with the co-ordinates why not(-1 -√7)-(-1+√7)?
y=6x-2x²-x³

y=x(6-2x-x²)

Quick way to check is just plug it back in :smile:
that's what i was stuck on i knew you had to something with the co-ordinates why not(-1 -√7)-(-1+√7)?

Because you can't have a negative length, this would give -2√7, which does not make sense unless you consider vectors or displacement

Would give you -2rt7 which is basically the same thing. You take the modulus as it is a length and can't be negative
Quick way to check is just plug it back in :smile:

no way am i doing that with someting looking like that xD

Would give you -2rt7 which is basically the same thing. You take the modulus as it is a length and can't be negative

ah right distance isn't negative...
IMG_1315[1].jpg

Please find attached my working for part 9b, I am certain this one is right this time though because it is actually in the mark scheme and I checked it this time :P

EDIT: Oops, some of it was truncated. The answer at the end should be 2root7 as the length AB is found by subtracting the B value from the A value.

Attachment not found
i reached till here, don't i have to square root AB after subtracting it?
Original post by YesterdaysDreams
Attachment not found
i reached till here, don't i have to square root AB after subtracting it?

You won't need to use the formula for distance between two points, just treat it as lengths along a ruler for example
You won't need to use the formula for distance between two points, just treat it as lengths along a ruler for example

okay,thanks :smile:
Original post by YesterdaysDreams
okay,thanks :smile:

Also I just noticed a slight error in your distance formula, you could have used it, but the actual formula is

Your formula forgot the squared signs
Also I just noticed a slight error in your distance formula, you could have used it, but the actual formula is

Your formula forgot the squared signs

yeah I just noticed that,

Quick Reply

Latest