The Student Room Group

Transferring uni after a foundation year.

So as I haven't done Physics A-Level (also I feel it will benefit me as I havent been in education for 2 years) im strongly considering doing an integrated foundation year then hopefully going on to study Chemical Engineering however the foundation year I was looking at is at a uni that doesnt teach Chemical Engineering. Is it hard to transfer? Do I just apply through UCAS? Would many unis consider me or are A-Level grades more important (AAB)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TomFitness
So as I haven't done Physics A-Level (also I feel it will benefit me as I havent been in education for 2 years) im strongly considering doing an integrated foundation year then hopefully going on to study Chemical Engineering however the foundation year I was looking at is at a uni that doesnt teach Chemical Engineering. Is it hard to transfer? Do I just apply through UCAS? Would many unis consider me or are A-Level grades more important (AAB)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universities foundation years can vary quite a bit so transferring into 1st year at another university might prove a little difficult. Is there are reason you cant do a foundation year in chemical engineering? The best thing to do is to ask the universities before you apply.
You might have a bit more trouble for Chem as I know at some unis with foundation years they will have a separate chemistry module for those who want to go on to Chem
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Universities foundation years can vary quite a bit so transferring into 1st year at another university might prove a little difficult. Is there are reason you cant do a foundation year in chemical engineering? The best thing to do is to ask the universities before you apply.

Yeah thank you, I'm somewhat torned between mechancial and chemical so it would be nice to make sure with a general foundation year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Whey we have the same name. (sort of) I had no problem transferring from one uni to another I just applied through UCAS in the normal way.
Reply 5
There's a Science and Engineering Foundation Programme (SEFP) at QMUL which you'd be eligible for. After the Foundation year, I think if you achieve above a certain amount, you become eligible to apply to other Russell Group universities to study any other science or engineering degree. I think the minimum entry requirements are about CCC, but there's usually people on the course with much higher grades who are just on the course because they didn't study the right A Level subjects that they'd need for a science/engineering degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Petulia
There's a Science and Engineering Foundation Programme (SEFP) at QMUL which you'd be eligible for. After the Foundation year, I think if you achieve above a certain amount, you become eligible to apply to other Russell Group universities to study any other science or engineering degree. I think the minimum entry requirements are about CCC, but there's usually people on the course with much higher grades who are just on the course because they didn't study the right A Level subjects that they'd need for a science/engineering degree.

Hey thanks for the info! The only downside is the cost of living in London however I seen Brunels foundation programme which is very similar in structure and modules. Would I be at a disadvantage since it isnt as highly ranked?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by TomFitness
Hey thanks for the info! The only downside is the cost of living in London however I seen Brunels foundation programme which is very similar in structure and modules. Would I be at a disadvantage since it isnt as highly ranked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

QMUL is in East London so it's a lot easier to find cheap food shops etc, and travel won't be much if you were to find accommodation in that area. Their SEFP is one of the most prestigious foundation degrees because it's regarded highly by other Russell Group universities, so transferring is very easy after the foundation year. Brunel is still a decent uni though, it's near the end of the top 50 in the league tables. I'm not sure about transferring after the foundation year though, I just know that it's common for people who do the SEFP at QMUL to transfer to a different university straight after, so there'd be a lot more people around you in the same situation. With unis like Brunel, I think people tend to stay on at the university after the foundation year.
Reply 8
Original post by Petulia
QMUL is in East London so it's a lot easier to find cheap food shops etc, and travel won't be much if you were to find accommodation in that area. Their SEFP is one of the most prestigious foundation degrees because it's regarded highly by other Russell Group universities, so transferring is very easy after the foundation year. Brunel is still a decent uni though, it's near the end of the top 50 in the league tables. I'm not sure about transferring after the foundation year though, I just know that it's common for people who do the SEFP at QMUL to transfer to a different university straight after, so there'd be a lot more people around you in the same situation. With unis like Brunel, I think people tend to stay on at the university after the foundation year.

Yeah i'll look into it, I've been to brunel and loved it there but I want to recieve the best education that I can once I start my degree. Ive also read about Durham foundation programme however I've also seen many not being able to progress but surely that would be down to them not getting the grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending