The Student Room Group

What even is there to do with a psychology degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
My issue is how do you know it offers little insight into the practical? As you're coming from psychology, I am not too sure you know the legal curriculum too well. This is not an insult, per se. I am just explaining that it is difficult to understand a subject's content if you don't study it.

It is correct that a law degree doesn't get people to the Bar in and of itself, but it is wrong to say that that law isn't practical. It's a subject largely assessed by problem questions which require students to give practical legal advice to hypothetical clients. It's also a subject which deals almost exclusively with practical areas of law. In psychology you might have two subjects relevant to counselling; in law all subjects are relevant to the legal profession. Not true for people who take jurisprudence and "women and the law", but still the vast majority of legal modules will provide theoretical and practical insight. Most unis offer professional skills modules, usually obligatory, as well. Law is a lil different.

The fact is that law (like psychology) is not a vocational degree like medicine or teaching - it does not qualify you for anything. Also for both law and psychology there are alternative training routes (i.e. a conversion course) if you do want to go on to professional study. Its not saying that the two degrees do not give you useful knowledge or skills
Original post by *Interrobang*
The fact is that law (like psychology) is not a vocational degree like medicine or teaching - it does not qualify you for anything. Also for both law and psychology there are alternative training routes (i.e. a conversion course) if you do want to go on to professional study. Its not saying that the two degrees do not give you useful knowledge or skills

Either way i have got a place on a masters in education for september, known as an m. ed,

This is not a vocational degree, but it could take me down that route if i chose to apply myself to it.
Original post by john2054
Either way i have got a place on a masters in education for september, known as an m. ed,

This is not a vocational degree, but it could take me down that route if i chose to apply myself to it.

You would still need to do the PGCE to gain QTS (just in case you dont know or for anyone else reading this thread). If you are thinking of educational psychology it is not really going to help, as work experience is more important, or a psychology -based masters and work experience
You would still need to do the PGCE to gain QTS (just in case you dont know or for anyone else reading this thread). If you are thinking of educational psychology it is not really going to help, as work experience is more important, or a psychology -based masters and work experience

What are essays like at psychology undergrad?
Original post by scrawlx101
What are essays like at psychology undergrad?

It will most likely vary from uni to uni
It will most likely vary from uni to uni

What were yours like at undergrad level?
Original post by scrawlx101
What were yours like at undergrad level?

A 1500 word essay for each module (apart from research methods) and a 1500 word report. For the essays there was a choice between three or four questions/statements around different topics within the module. This is going back a few years tho

It is possible to become a lecturer without a pgce. I know of more than one people who have taken this route.
A 1500 word essay for each module (apart from research methods) and a 1500 word report. For the essays there was a choice between three or four questions/statements around different topics within the module. This is going back a few years tho

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1036924
Original post by Gwilym101
Aside from Medicine, Teaching and possible Law. No degree leads straight into a job, trust me I've learnt that with depressing levels of repetition. Any job that needs a degree to do, will need MORE than just a degree to do. Placement year helps but there are other avenues to explore, volunteering, shadowing, working as an assistant, internships.

What about biomed?
(edited 8 years ago)
this

a bachelor's degree in education is known as a b.ed., not a b.a. just saying...

What do you study, exactly?
It is possible to become a lecturer without a pgce. I know of more than one people who have taken this route.

Lecturing is different - QTS only counts for teaching up to Year 11s, although you need to be doing or have done a PhD to become a lecturer. There is also a teaching course for universities as well
Majority of people don't work in the sector they do their degree in you know. Keep your head up and get a first. A good classification in your degree will open doors. And working in retail is so ****. A lady today demanded a refund for her poxy donut - but she didn't give the donut back, no. Made such a big deal about it for no reason. She took back her money and a free donut. OMG, anyway..

I'm doing a degree in education studies--sometimes i think to myself why the hell am i doing this (i wanted to do nursing but grades never happened) - but things do work out for the better! Gather work experience in as much places as possible. So far I've worked in a nursery and a school - and I'm really enjoying it and i cant wait to be a teacher. Its not the end of the world :smile: xx
Original post by samina_ay
Majority of people don't work in the sector they do their degree in you know. Keep your head up and get a first. A good classification in your degree will open doors. And working in retail is so ****. A lady today demanded a refund for her poxy donut - but she didn't give the donut back, no. Made such a big deal about it for no reason. She took back her money and a free donut. OMG, anyway..

I'm doing a degree in education studies--sometimes i think to myself why the hell am i doing this (i wanted to do nursing but grades never happened) - but things do work out for the better! Gather work experience in as much places as possible. So far I've worked in a nursery and a school - and I'm really enjoying it and i cant wait to be a teacher. Its not the end of the world :smile: xx

I think you will be a good teacher.
Lecturing is different - QTS only counts for teaching up to Year 11s, although you need to be doing or have done a PhD to become a lecturer. There is also a teaching course for universities as well

true. thanks for the heads up.
I think you will be a good teacher.

Thank you
i'm doing a ba in sociology and theatre studies, with a place on the m ed (masters in education) for september.
Original post by Dinasaurus
What about biomed?

An accredited Biomed degree can lead to a job directly within the field, but as with psychology, there are simply too many graduates per year for this path to be an 'automatic' one (like Med, Teaching, Vet Med etc). So, the vast majority of biomed grads will have to get work experience and look for other generalist careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by samina_ay
A lady today demanded a refund for her poxy donut - but she didn't give the donut back, no. Made such a big deal about it for no reason. She took back her money and a free donut. OMG, anyway..

What a bitch! LOL
Original post by whorace
What a bitch! LOL

Very tempted to burn her face with hot water. Stupid bitch. Made me look dumb infront of my colleague's :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest