The Student Room Group

Not sure which Political party I support.

Not a fan of the Tories, think some of them especially my Mp are dicks. BUT I do support a few of their policys.
Labour I would say overall is fine. Not sure about Jeremy Corbyn though. Also making the rich pay higher taxes. Is it making them pay a higher percentage of their income? If so I don't support that at all. And that puts me off them completely. If its the same percentage so everyone pays like 10% in Tax. Then thats fine. I would say thats fair honestly. But thats up to debate. So im fine with proportional tax but not progressive. I don't see how thats fair. Just because someone worked hard to get a good job.

I don't know much about politics if you couldn't tell.
I think environmental issues are quite a big problem. So I guess Labour would do more about this than conservatives.
Not really sure where I stand on benefits. I don't agree with the disabled benefit cuts and the bedroom tax. But in my opinion that maybe instead of benefits they should focus on finding them jobs to do. Because there are a FEW people who could just live on benefits instead of finding a job which isn't fair.

So which political party would you say I support? You can ask me more questions. Tried to do those quizes. They don't really work.

Scroll to see replies

How about looking into more than 2 political parties...
Original post by Kholmes1
Not a fan of the Tories, think some of them especially my Mp are dicks. BUT I do support a few of their policys.
Labour I would say overall is fine. Not sure about Jeremy Corbyn though. Also making the rich pay higher taxes. Is it making them pay a higher percentage of their income? If so I don't support that at all. And that puts me off them completely. If its the same percentage so everyone pays like 10% in Tax. Then thats fine. I would say thats fair honestly. But thats up to debate. So im fine with proportional tax but not progressive. I don't see how thats fair. Just because someone worked hard to get a good job.

I think environmental issues are quite a big problem. So I guess Labour would do more about this than conservatives.
Not really sure where I stand on benefits. I don't agree with the disabled benefit cuts and the bedroom tax. But in my opinion that maybe instead of benefits they should focus on finding them jobs to do. Because there are a FEW people who could just live on benefits instead of finding a job which isn't fair.

So which political party would you say I support? You can ask me more questions. Tried to do those quizes. They don't really work.

Lib Dems perhaps, as they're quite environmentally friendly. Also they're in between the conservatives and labour so would probably be the best.
Reply 3
Original post by NickLCFC
How about looking into more than 2 political parties...

I know. But no one really votes for the Green party.

Labour and Conservatives are the main 2. So I meant out of them which one I would support more.
Your probably a blairite type, or red Tory. Socially liberal but economically conservative
Well, your tax views are UKIP. Your environmental views are probably either Lib Dem or Green, and your views on benefits are probably Lib Dem/Labour.

In short, you want great public services, but don't want anyone to pay for them,

Vote unicorn.
Reply 6
Original post by antipathy
Well, your tax views are UKIP. Your environmental views are probably either Lib Dem or Green, and your views on benefits are probably Lib Dem/Labour.

In short, you want great public services, but don't want anyone to pay for them,

Vote unicorn.

I don't mind tax. I just don't support progressive tax or regressive. I think thats unfair. I support proportional tax. So everyone pays the same % on their income.
I don't mind tax. I just don't support progressive tax or regressive. I think thats unfair. I support proportional tax. So everyone pays the same % on their income.

That's UKIP policy, even the Tories operate a progressive tax regime.

Which is fine providing that you don't care about disabled people, the environment, or education/healthcare. If you do care about those things, then you have to pay for it - and the rich have most of the cash,

That's a flat rate of tax, which sounds good in theory but the consensus is that it's actually pretty terrible.
Reply 9

Which is fine providing that you don't care about disabled people, the environment, or education/healthcare. If you do care about those things, then you have to pay for it - and the rich have most of the cash,

Tories operates a progressive tax regime?

I don't really see how its fair Someone who has a good job because they went to uni has to pay 50% of their income in tax. (Just an example)
While someone with a minimum wage job and gets benefits, who did not do well at school or anything. They don't really want to get a better job. (Again just an example, obviously theres a lot of people who did try hard who has a minimum job) who only pays like 5% tax.

Surely a fixed percentage like 15% of their income would be fairer. So people who does earn a lot will still pay quite a bit in tax. While people who doesn't earn that much only pays a little bit. I know that if you charge the richer a higher tax percentage then the Government would get more money which they could spend on improving the different sectors.
And this may encourage people to get a low paying job and get benefits. (Not really but maybe)

I don't really see how its fair Someone who has a good job because they went to uni has to pay 50% of their income in tax. (Just an example)
While someone with a minimum wage job and gets benefits, who did not do well at school or anything. They don't really want to get a better job. (Again just an example, obviously theres a lot of people who did try hard who has a minimum job) who only pays like 5% tax.

Surely a fixed percentage like 15% of their income would be fairer. So people who does earn a lot will still pay quite a bit in tax. While people who doesn't earn that much only pays a little bit. I know that if you charge the richer a higher tax percentage then the Government would get more money which they could spend on improving the different sectors.
And this may encourage people to get a low paying job and get benefits. (Not really but maybe)

The government is currently running a deficit of £70 billion creating a flat rate of tax would increase that to ridiculous levels, money has to be found from somewhere.
Reply 11
Anyone else?
I know. But no one really votes for the Green party.

Labour and Conservatives are the main 2. So I meant out of them which one I would support more.

On the whole your a fairly moderate and liberal conservative. You could easily fit into the camps of the Tories (especially younger members), the Orange Bookers or Blairites.

Based on current party positioning, your vote should be Conservative.

The 2015 Ukip manifesto ditched the flat tax.
Meh, just look at what your local MP candiates want and vote on the one you agree the most with. All this 'what party should I vote for rubbish' just seems a tad undemocratic imo. Akin to how for the last few elections the amount of lib dem supporters wouldn't vote for the lib dems because they didn't feel they could defeat tories/labour.

I'm pretty unique in my political, social and economic views (technically I'm facist apparently :broken:), so I prefer to simply choose the MP whore represents me and my views the best. Less of this party line rubbish the better.

That is a rather naive view you hold. Receiving a low income does, most certainly, not mean that they're 'lazy' or 'can't be bothered to get a better job'. There are plenty of people out there who work insane hours only to make little money because they do the jobs that people like you don't want to do. Is it then fair that they pay the same percentage of taxes as someone who earns a considerable amount more? Take a Nurse as an example. Nurses work their backsides off and you want them to pay the same percentage taxes as a millionaire.

Well done.

By the way, Conservatives and Labour aren't the only parties in the country you know. In case you forgot, we had a coalition last year.
Reply 15
https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

use this, gives a good overview for party policies at least.

If you are interested in books i can give you a list.

From there i would strongly suggest looking at opinions that differ from your own and then either argue directly or to yourself the reasons why you are right and they are wrong. This really helps define your opinions and turn your vague ideas of right and wrong in factually based opinions. You need to keep doing this and it will make you a more rational person. You will probably find that your views will change on certain things, or that you might become more extreme.

A few people you should check out on youtube:
Sargon of Akkad Anti-collectivist, anti-3rd wave feminist and a left winger, good place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SargonofAkkad100
He recently did a interview with a white supremacist here on his live stream YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPqno6xvE

Vernaculis USA centered but the ideas are transferable, talks mostly about bad media habitshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzNJ7y2Q6wY0tEOzE6EM9Q

Milo journalist from brietbart london, is gay, supports trump, anti-feminist, right wing. He has appeared on sky news a few times as well as the big questions discussing feminism and i think islam, currently doing a few lectures/talks/speachs in the UK
https://www.youtube.com/user/yiannopoulosm

you could also visit a few forums and browse/lurk there for a while:
Student room is an okay forum
you could also check out reddit:
UKpolitics
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics

there is also 4chans /pol/ if you are brave very right wing, will see nazi references and anti-jewish stuff quite a bit, but you kind of have to lurk there for a few months before you understand the jokes and whether or not people are serious or not.
I won't link 4chan here since it is certainly a website, while not illegal, isn't for anyone under 18, but you can find it via google very easily, just google "4chan pol"

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
as a direct response to some of your standings:

Firstly I'm going to be arguing from an egalitarian and individualist point of view, i believe that people should all have a basic ground work to start from such as good education, free healthcare and basic shelter and food upto a point.

Flat tax:
Seems ideal at first, Who could argue with a system where everyone pays equally and encourages people to seek higher wages?
However, you have to remember a few things, firstly there are very few jobs that pay the higher wages, thus one cannot simply work very hard and obtain a higher earning job, there are things such as luck, connections from family and starting wealth that may mean easier access to these kinds of jobs.

Now you can either take the stance that it's perfectly fine that they have those advantages and i would understand that view, but if you want to perhaps lower the influence of luck and work more towards a metiocratic earning system (a system where people earn based upon how good they are, ie on their merit) then you could levy a tax that you perceive to reduce the advantages these lucky people have, this could be in the form of inheritance tax, progressive tax, capital gains tax and property taxes. The first system by which there is a flat tax is more more free market driven than a progressively taxed society.

There is another argument where you look at the basic living standards, you could say for example that a person earning £150,000 a year earns more than enough to support themselves and their family, therefore they can "afford" to be taxed at a higher rate because their after tax income will still be high enough to more than comfortably support their family and set up future generations. You could also say that this would be like forcing charity contributions, imagine if the government said "you have to donate to this charity or jail time" while of course this analogy has holes in it such that charities are private while taxes are paid into a system voted for by the people, given power by the sovereign. Even then, however, you could say you are "oppressing" the minorities views by making them support a "charity" they don't like

That is the moral side of the argument, albeit a part of it, you could also argue that a flat tax doesn't bring in enough income to run things such as the NHS (which is great value for money) in which case we would use health insurance....so why not just have a progressive income tax?

There are two sides to all political ideas.
(edited 8 years ago)

10% tax for all = troll

Posted from TSR Mobile

Placing all the money in the hands of the 1% and not taxing them on it would be detrimental to the economy... They don't spend like the poor do. E.g. Rich man can only pay for so much food a day, so many trousers a year and the rest sits in a bank account unused, not put back into society so unfortunately higher taxes are needed.

Also how can you say that just because someone has a degree that they work harder than those who do not? High Wage doesn't equal hard work.

Tax doesn't work like that.

Quick Reply

Latest