The Student Room Group

Can someone please read my Law Personal statement for me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Paktriot
I'm an international student so I'm applying through a guidance counsellor who's going to tell me my university options as soon as he's got all my relevant documents.

I actually want a career in politics but want to do a geberal LLB degree.

I've mentioned I want to get into politics and why getting a law degree would benefit me, but idk if that's going to offend them or something because they'd be like why don't you just study politics.

No you should be honest lots of politicians do Law degrees.
Reply 41
Original post by Thomb
No you should be honest lots of politicians do Law degrees.

Pheww. That's made me feel better.
Original post by DanielJames
Hmmmm. I don't understand what you are getting at. The names kind of give it away. Cambridge is in Cambridge, and London MET is in London?

You said your uni is in the South East. Both London and Cambridge are in the South East. I am not sure how this is confusing you.

Original post by somethingbeautiful
I'll happily read it and edit it for you. As @goodbloke has said (incidentally, I'm sure they read my PS about 6/7 years ago?), it's generally a pretty bad idea to send your PS to strangers but I'm a graduate and have applied to university 3 times successfully (4 if you count my LLB application which I received offers for but declined to take a gap year and apply for Philosophy). I'm starting my 2nd degree and 3rd university course this Sept so I have no reason to do anything improper with or to your PS and it wouldn't benefit me in anyway from seeing your Law statement since I'm a science student and Philosophy grad.

I've also got about 7-8 years worth of post history on TSR to prove I've already been to university and I don't need a Law statement for myself. Anyhow, if you decide to send it to a stranger, I'm one of the most trustworthy you'll find and as I've said, I've got experience of the PS and UCAS application in general.

Feel like I'm pitching on Dragon's Den here. Just don't send it to a new member with a low post count who you know absolutely nothing about. I've sent my CV and uni applications to people over TSR in the past - I just picked very carefully and it was fine.

I never knew you applied for law. Where were your offers from?
Reply 43
I'm an international student so I'm applying through a guidance counsellor who's going to tell me my university options as soon as he's got all my relevant documents.

I actually want a career in politics but want to do a geberal LLB degree.

I've mentioned I want to get into politics and why getting a law degree would benefit me, but idk if that's going to offend them or something because they'd be like why don't you just study politics.

I'll happily read it and edit it for you. As @goodbloke has said (incidentally, I'm sure they read my PS about 6/7 years ago?), it's generally a pretty bad idea to send your PS to strangers but I'm a graduate and have applied to university 3 times successfully (4 if you count my LLB application which I received offers for but declined to take a gap year and apply for Philosophy). I'm starting my 2nd degree and 3rd university course this Sept so I have no reason to do anything improper with or to your PS and it wouldn't benefit me in anyway from seeing your Law statement since I'm a science student and Philosophy grad.

I've also got about 7-8 years worth of post history on TSR to prove I've already been to university and I don't need a Law statement for myself. Anyhow, if you decide to send it to a stranger, I'm one of the most trustworthy you'll find and as I've said, I've got experience of the PS and UCAS application in general.

Feel like I'm pitching on Dragon's Den here. Just don't send it to a new member with a low post count who you know absolutely nothing about. I've sent my CV and uni applications to people over TSR in the past - I just picked very carefully and it was fine.

TBH I'd trust him I've seen him on here before he's been on for years a trustworthy person with a good rep go for it. :biggrin:
Original post by *Interrobang*
Don't send you PS to anyone over the internet - there is no guarantee that it won't be plagiarised, and plagiarism is very real. Once you've sent it to someone, you have no control over it

Ok if this is a general rule, then guess I'm banned from helping OP.

There was zero chance I would want or need to plaigarise. Surely it would only be relevant to Law students who were also applying to do an LLB on the basis they wanted a political career? Theres plenty of stuff on personal statements already freely available on the internet.

Why did you only have 24hrs to write it?

Good luck anyway.

Wouldnt you have been better off doing PPE instead of Law?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm applying for Psychology so I'll gladly read your personal statements for you, if you want, and make notes on improvements. You can check my other posts/threads for proof, I'm not applying to anything law related so your personal statement won't be plagarised.

Message me if you want. :borat:
(edited 8 years ago)
OMFG smh at this thread :facepalm:

ffs stop encouraging OP to send her PS to you all

Yes you might be trustworthy, but in saying so you let OP trust more people in this which is completely against the point of the rule and in future she might actually send it to someone malicious. Please stop..
Send it to something beautiful id take the chance.
Original post by LLB gets the V

I never knew you applied for law. Where were your offers from?

Yes, it was my first uni application when I was 17 and doing my A-Levels - long before I fully understood the competitive nature of Law and the importance of uni rank for that particular subject.

I ultimately decided against it because I wasn't on track for AAA at A-level and for Law that limits your uni applications which ultimately limits your career since uni prestige/rank is a big factor in securing training contracts, as I'm sure you'll know.

So I took a year out and did another college course, looking to do medicine as I wanted to care for people - decided that wasn't for me either (despised Physics and Chem) and having no science A-levels for a healthcare degree but wanting to go to university I reapplied through UCAS for BA Philosophy since I'd done elements of Philosophy in my RS A-level and loved it. Graduated, worked for 4 years and applied to the OU for Biology (my current studies), worked (still working!) full time alongside my course. Last year I applied for Physio BSc which I'm starting this year.

My offers for Law were:
Liverpool (firm)
Oxford Brookes (insurance)
Sheffield Hallam (offer)
LJMU (offer)
Derby (offer)

As I say, I declined them all and studied Philosophy at Liverpool. Graduated with a 2.1 with honors. Funny how life turns out - I'm finally getting to train in a caring profession 8 years on (without the horrid phys/chem) and with a degree under my belt. Strange how I can look back at my post history as a 17/18 year old applying to uni for the first time. My TSR is like a time capsule.
Original post by 999tigger
Send it to something beautiful id take the chance.

I'd say send it to me.
Reply 50
I'd say send it to me.

Yeah right.
I need to give it in at 9, I didn't think anyone would create a personal statement from mine in 2 hours.

And even if they do submit in the near future, it's theirs that would be classified as the plagiarised one, not mine.

Read my profile text. it has useful PS advice.
Reply 52

A

Which philosopher do you like the most?
I'd say send it to me.

Dunno never seen you around. All a bit moot now, but the OP has missed out imo. It should be obvious whose adbice is angled at making sense and improbing her application. Presumably you are an under or grad or further.
Reply 54
Yeah. Why not? I am a top 10 uni doing law. I would say I am suitably qualified.

Somehow I don't think you are a university don't you think?
Original post by Thomb
Somehow I don't think you are a university don't you think?

It and I are one. We're symbiotic.
Reply 56

Sure.
Yeah well now apparently someone can steal it. It sucks though so it's very unlikely.

I could help you out. I now know what to avoid doing after doing the classic mistake of 'telling and not showing,' in my last PS. I'm really quite fluent in English and I'm good at reading in between the lines (and thus write in such a manner to give off a certain impression).
Yes, it was my first uni application when I was 17 and doing my A-Levels - long before I fully understood the competitive nature of Law and the importance of uni rank for that particular subject.

I ultimately decided against it because I wasn't on track for AAA at A-level and for Law that limits your uni applications which ultimately limits your career since uni prestige/rank is a big factor in securing training contracts, as I'm sure you'll know.

So I took a year out and did another college course, looking to do medicine as I wanted to care for people - decided that wasn't for me either (despised Physics and Chem) and having no science A-levels for a healthcare degree but wanting to go to university I reapplied through UCAS for BA Philosophy since I'd done elements of Philosophy in my RS A-level and loved it. Graduated, worked for 4 years and applied to the OU for Biology (my current studies), worked (still working!) full time alongside my course. Last year I applied for Physio BSc which I'm starting this year.

My offers for Law were:
Liverpool (firm)
Oxford Brookes (insurance)
Sheffield Hallam (offer)
LJMU (offer)
Derby (offer)

As I say, I declined them all and studied Philosophy at Liverpool. Graduated with a 2.1 with honors. Funny how life turns out - I'm finally getting to train in a caring profession 8 years on (without the horrid phys/chem) and with a degree under my belt. Strange how I can look back at my post history as a 17/18 year old applying to uni for the first time. My TSR is like a time capsule.

Yeah, this is fairly interesting. To come full circle, as it were. I would not say you would be excluded form the legal profession with a Liverpool degree -- certainly regional firms would consider you. It's good to see you got where you wanted to be. Out of curiosity, why didn't you choose a more clinical med-associated degree, like nursing or ODP or paramedical science?

lol. Thomb doesnt seem to trust you.

Shame the OP didnt have longer I could have directed her on what to write on open forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending