The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ella_10
We have improved we were just a bit tired today

It did play a part but it was poor substitutions that cost us.
Original post by Lúcio
How about you mock us after you've played your game?

Reply 5762
today was a good day
Original post by samir12
It did play a part but it was poor substitutions that cost us.

Klopp made the substitutes he could did yu see our bench 🙄. Skerts had to come on Hendo was going to come on but they scored the equaliser. It was no ones fault we were just a bit flat we did play away 3 days ago and had to travel again. It doesn't matter anyway where we finish 😂 We aren't gonna finish in the top 4
Original post by Lúcio
No point using Skrtel as a scapegoat.
I agree he was garbage and made mistakes for most goals (in addition to conceding a penalty), however Sakho was turned and outpaced by Mane twice in addition to giving Pelle too much space on the edge of the area.

You could argue that breaking up the Lovren/Sakho partnership changed the game and the only person you can blame for that is Klopp. The change simply was not needed.

It was the first time in a while that our defence had been pretty settled for a few games and in the same period our results had been quite consistent in comparison to the rest of the season. The two teams with the most constant defences are at the top of the league

If Klopp did take Lovren off for being on a yellow as opposed to any injury then I guess he probably doesn't have much trust in him. Lucas who is quite prone to yellow cards was never taken off in previous games, so it's bit of a weird one. I didn't watch the game so not going to say who was at fault.

Anyway, it was bound to happen now that everyone seemed to start dreaming of top 4 again. We can rule that out now.

Spoiler

Original post by Ella_10
Klopp made the substitutes he could did yu see our bench 🙄. Skerts had to come on Hendo was going to come on but they scored the equaliser. It was no ones fault we were just a bit flat we did play away 3 days ago and had to travel again. It doesn't matter anyway where we finish 😂 We aren't gonna finish in the top 4

lool. We played a few days ago, yes. We played away today, yes. But you can't use the excuse that we had to travel 'again'. Old Trafford probably wasn't much further away than the players' homes.
Original post by Dirtybit

Lolololololol
That's my favourite gif so fair play :tongue:

United gained 3 points on us this weekend so even if we win our game in hand, we'll still be 3 off them.
It's not mathematically impossible but a top 4 finish looks very bleak now - hell even a EL spot looks unlikely unless West Ham fall away/win the FA Cup.

It's funny how fast things can change in 90 minutes.
Original post by Ella_10

We had Kolo Toure on the bench who has been solid everytime he has played. Henderson should have come on instead of Benteke as the latter did nothing to help us gain a foothold in the game and we needed an extra body in midfield.
As much faith as I have in Klopp, he simply got it wrong today.
The players should feel ashamed because they're the ones on the field who let this happen, but tactically we just weren't managed properly and that really surprised me.

Klopp failed to respond to Soton's attacking adaptation and bringing on Skrtel was literally the worst thing he could've done. The penalty was saved but the Soton players could then see how much of a weakness Skrtel was. It gave them confidence and inspired them to victory, especially after they made it 2-1.

I'm not saying we would've won had Lovren stayed on (he could've received a second yellow for all I know), however I'm willing to bet we would've had a much greater chance. Klopp has been amazing for us this season and this isn't me turning on him. I'm simply pointing out that his decisions cost us 3 points today and potentially derailed a top 4 challenge.
Original post by Lúcio
How about you mock us after you've played your game?

Skrtel. Goodbye.

It's gutting that that turnaround had to happen today. We were on the ropes in the early exchanges, and Lovren's yellow card is obviously the reason he departed, because the crowd were baying for his blood and he was a walking red.

That said, Coutinho and Sturridge's goals were two bits of genuine quality that swing football matches in your favour. It was so disappointing not to see us hold on, after we'd given ourselves such a good start.

It seemed to be a game too far for a few players. Allen looked dead on his feet, and threw in a few tired challenges as the clock wound down to 90. I felt he was a passenger by the end of proceedings, but he still wasn't the biggest culprit.

Our whole defence seemed shaky once Skrtel was deployed. The man has been a constant source of frustration and nervousness for me for almost five years now. He didn't help his colleagues at the back, and it was a shame to see the Lovren/Sakho partnership broken up.

Klopp got his in-game management all wrong today. Wrong subs, wrong time, wrong decisions. Benteke offered next to nothing when he came on (he'll be off in the summer, for sure) and Skrtel, as aforementioned, put in probably the worst individual performance I've seen from a footballer since Flanagan had that nightmare at Ewood Park in 2011/12.

It was good to see Flanagan have the armband, but what a disappointing day. Emre Can was a colossus in the midfield, and Henderson comes out of the game well having not even played. We missed him badly.

Other positives were the link-up play between Sturridge and Origi. It was great to see the former bury that chance after a quiet few weeks.

Full credit to Southampton, though. Great spirit and they capitalised on a mixture of our lack of leadership/decisiveness, and their own momentum.
As much as we slag off Skrtel and the team, a lot of credit has to go to Koeman and Mane for turning it around. We couldn't cope once he came on.
Original post by Zerforax
As much as we slag off Skrtel and the team, a lot of credit has to go to Koeman and Mane for turning it around. We couldn't cope once he came on.

Koeman's subs were in complete contrast to ours. Sometimes the changes will work for you, and today wasn't one of those times.
Original post by Mackay
Koeman's subs were in complete contrast to ours. Sometimes the changes will work for you, and today wasn't one of those times.

Our subs simply made things worse on both ends of the pitch and it was the centre of the pitch that needed attention. One sub caused our attack to be blunt and the other brought on a liability in the defence. Hope Klopp learns from this, we do need to sign a quality midfielder and I think Henderson may lose his place (and captaincy) as Can has impressed Klopp more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mackay

Well we had a few players missing today. No doubt Klopp would've loved to have turned to Lucas or Milner or a fit Henderson or even a Firmino.
Original post by samir12
Our subs simply made things worse on both ends of the pitch and it was the centre of the pitch that needed attention. One sub caused our attack to be blunt and the other brought on a liability in the defence. Hope Klopp learns from this, we do need to sign a quality midfielder and I think Henderson may lose his place (and captaincy) as Can has impressed Klopp more.

Reports today from Jonathan Northcroft that one of Klopp's biggest desires for this summer is a new partner in the heart of midfield for Can.
Original post by Ella_10

Original post by RVNmax
It was the first time in a while that our defence had been pretty settled for a few games and in the same period our results had been quite consistent in comparison to the rest of the season. The two teams with the most constant defences are at the top of the league

If Klopp did take Lovren off for being on a yellow as opposed to any injury then I guess he probably doesn't have much trust in him. Lucas who is quite prone to yellow cards was never taken off in previous games, so it's bit of a weird one. I didn't watch the game so not going to say who was at fault.

Anyway, it was bound to happen now that everyone seemed to start dreaming of top 4 again. We can rule that out now.

Spoiler

Let's be fair your defence is weak and Klopp is doing very well to string results together with this team. I'd expect the overhaul during the summer to start with your backline.
Original post by Mackay
Reports today from Jonathan Northcroft that one of Klopp's biggest desires for this summer is a new partner in the heart of midfield for Can.

Really? I'd build my midfield with Henderson rather than Can at the moment.
What happened to Liverpool?!
Is Klopp the right man?
Original post by ODES_PDES
What happened to Liverpool?!
Is Klopp the right man?

Same issues, different day.

Well Klopp hasn't had a proper transfer window to change the squad with his players so can't complain too much.

Latest