The Student Room Group

how to get an A* on english language

how do i get and A/A* on writing a letter. in school i did a letter writing to my headteacher that her recent decision on mixing boys and girls for PE was not a good idea . i felt confident as i wrote a lot (around 6 paragraphs about lack of confidence playing with boys,bullying,science proving males have more physical strength etc ) . However my teacher marked it and i got 9/20.
i just do not know what to do.

so, could you please give some A/A* phrases on writing a letter and impressive words, connectives that are formal . it would be nice if you gave a sample letter
BTW my exam board is WJEC.
Use DAFORREST: direct address, alliteration, facts, repetition, rhetorical questions, emotive language, statistics (just make them up) and (list of) Three. Also second guess what someone arguing against you would say, saying things like "some may argue that...however" etc. Watch Mr Bruff videos on YouTube, do practise questions, memorise impressive connectives, make sure your letter could actually persuade someone. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Reply 2
Original post by science-is-noice
Use DAFORREST: direct address, alliteration, facts, repetition, rhetorical questions, emotive language, statistics (just make them up) and (list of) Three. Also second guess what someone arguing against you would say, saying things like "some may argue that...however" etc. Watch Mr Bruff videos on YouTube, do practise questions, memorise impressive connectives, make sure your letter could actually persuade someone. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Do you have any sample letters.if so could you please send them?
Original post by geek567
Do you have any sample letters.if so could you please send them?

I would send a picture of a letter I wrote for my mock exam, but it's in the loft with lots of other stuff. Are there not any online?
Reply 4
If you post the letter you wrote for practice I would be happy to critique it. I'd understand if you are unwilling to do that, in which case I think the general advice given above is good. Another tip to bear in mind which I found really helped when doing Eng GCSE's was to keep the mark scheme in front of me (Assessment Objectives). It really helps focus your writing.
Reply 5
Original post by Coreling
If you post the letter you wrote for practice I would be happy to critique it. I'd understand if you are unwilling to do that, in which case I think the general advice given above is good. Another tip to bear in mind which I found really helped when doing Eng GCSE's was to keep the mark scheme in front of me (Assessment Objectives). It really helps focus your writing.

thank you i will send you a letter i wrote in 1-2 days. when you will see it could you please score it out of 20 since my teacher did this (i got 9/20 last time is that bad for a year 10)
Original post by geek567
how do i get and A/A* on writing a letter. in school i did a letter writing to my headteacher that her recent decision on mixing boys and girls for PE was not a good idea . i felt confident as i wrote a lot (around 6 paragraphs about lack of confidence playing with boys,bullying,science proving males have more physical strength etc ) . However my teacher marked it and i got 9/20.

so, could you please give some A/A* phrases on writing a letter and impressive words, connectives that are formal . it would be nice if you gave a sample letter

I could send you a piece of persuasive writing that I wrote.

I do AQA but the piece should give you the jist on how to structure and write the piece. I got 20/24 in this. If you may be wondering it was based on Questions 6 for the AQA language paper.

Let me know if you'd like to read it and i'll PM it to you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by science-is-noice
I would send a picture of a letter I wrote for my mock exam, but it's in the loft with lots of other stuff. Are there not any online?

i have seen some but i'm not sure whether they are A/A* if you know what i mean
Ask your teacher what you could improve about your writing in order to get higher marks. If you're getting anything less than full marks then you should always make sure to get feedback, teachers will usually just give you feedback but if they don't or if you don't understand the feedback they give then just ask them about it. It's likely the best thing you can do at the moment as it will be tailored exactly towards what you are doing badly at, and how you can improve in that aspect.
Reply 9
Original post by Federerr
I could send you a piece of persuasive writing that I wrote.

I do AQA but the piece should give you the jist on how to structure and write the piece. I got 20/24 in this. If you may be wondering it was based on Questions 6 for the AQA language paper.

Let me know if you'd like to read it and i'll PM it to you :smile:

yes could you please send me it asap :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Ask your teacher what you could improve about your writing in order to get higher marks. If you're getting anything less than full marks then you should always make sure to get feedback, teachers will usually just give you feedback but if they don't or if you don't understand the feedback they give then just ask them about it. It's likely the best thing you can do at the moment as it will be tailored exactly towards what you are doing badly at, and how you can improve in that aspect.

idk if my teacher was being harsh as far as i know i only had 2-3 spelling mistakes and she said that when writing i should be clear and i was talking about bullying then something else on the same paragraph and she said i should do it separate them.
in 2 weeks can i send you the letter that my teacher marked and could you see it if it is 9/20 which she gave me.?if not then could you give me some really good phrases.
Original post by geek567
idk if my teacher was being harsh as far as i know i only had 2-3 spelling mistakes and she said that when writing i should be clear and i was talking about bullying then something else on the same paragraph and she said i should do it separate them.
in 2 weeks can i send you the letter that my teacher marked and could you see it if it is 9/20 which she gave me.?if not then could you give me some really good phrases.

Ask her to explain more about what she meant by the feedback she gave you. You don't understand what she meant, so how are we going to? The best person to explain her feedback to you is her.
Reply 12

hi
I've sent you the letter i wrote so could you please critique and score it out of 20 asap:smile:
Original post by geek567
hi
I've sent you the letter i wrote so could you please critique and score it out of 20 asap:smile:

Could you send me the mark scheme too please?
Reply 14
Could you send me the mark scheme too please?

http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/a13-english2-ms.pdf

could you please mark it out of 20 thank you soo much
Original post by geek567

Hey we do the SAME EXAM BOARD :smile: :smile:
Original post by geek567

Hi so I got a 9 overall at GCSE for Lit and Lang.

Letter writing is super easy you just need to know the following things:

- firstly layout, you need to know how to structure everything in the right position e.g address, date, name etc
- planning, if you plan to write anything planning is necessary without it you cannot decide on the key bits that you'll talk about. For your scenario on the mixing of pe groups, I would draw a table and write the pros and cons. Then highlight atleas 5 main things you wish to talk about.
- DAFOREST - this is very important when wiriting a letter. There are resources online which show you how to use all of these so check them out!
- Include real life 'made up' experiences - e.g you could have interviewed somebody, maybe a parent??, and asked them on their thoughts.
-Sophistication, you need to make sure your writing flows - use discourse markers, words like Thus, albeit, consequently etc.
-Conclude, overall summarise your view and signature off with either kind regards or yours sincerely. You could also put 'I look forward to hearing from you'.

Hope this helps good luck bro :smile:

Latest