The Student Room Group

Muslim Secularist, Ask me Anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by elforjg02
Well if u can see....not the only one who's talking politics:s-smilie:...uuuh nd says u.. Ive seen ur thread somewhere else talking about bashar so yh....I didnt say anything bad against u or ur opinion so I'd rather we stay kwl yh ?

dont
Reply 101
Original post by ZS1
Unfortunately, we wont see a rise in secularist muslims anytime soon due to oil-rich saudis throwing their money at madrassas in Europe and Asia who are teaching young muslims the most vitriolic, hatefilled version of Islam

Wahabism is sadly spreading. Countries like Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afgahnistan, Libya were all secular and the people were also fine living under a secular regime till these ****ing Wahabis came. But they were backed up by the US..
Blame the Saudi and the West
Original post by Caius Filimon
I'm really glad to hear the account of someone who has actually lived in Libya!

Yes, I understand that he was DEFINETLY not too great a ruler at all.

However, I would think that it is undeniable that US involvement has sent Libya back in time decades. Under Gaddaffi, there was some sort of peace and stability, and while education and healthcare were not the best, we must consider how poor Libya actually was. Despite the immense wealth of the petrol industry, etc, the government still did a lot for its people as compared to other states. Although, yes, that is not an excuse, but still something to consider.

And in the way of receiving 'the best' for your kids, obviously nothing really compares with Western education as of yet at least in the way of accessibility. It is rather unfair to blame Gaddaffi's rule for not offering the best educational facilities.

Bottom line is, being able to keep your head down and have social safety nets, education and healthcare is far better than what you have in Libya now.

Actually im just another girl doing her a levels....but by what my parents have told me and to why they brought me here i now know so many reasons to why Libyan was not a great place..but still the most amazing place to me
Actually im just another girl doing her a levels....but by what my parents have told me and to why they brought me here i now know so many reasons to why Libyan was not a great place..but still the most amazing place to me

Oh, alright, fair enough... well, either way, I'm sure you understand the point I was making.
Oh, alright, fair enough... well, either way, I'm sure you understand the point I was making.

Totally...you seem to know a lot about politics..do you study it ?
Original post by DamaroDum
Maths, Economics and Politics
Syrians love their hummus

oh wow thats a really interesting albeit difficult combination of subjects:P
you thinking of a career in finance?
Yeah hummus is dank:PP
Original post by High Stakes
If you two are Muslims, you should remember that it's disallowed to dictate who's following the religion correctly and who is the "better" Muslim in your eyes.

Neither of us were saying we're better Muslims than him.
But if we are Muslims, we should also remember to correct him- no man made law can be preferred over Allah's law.
Yup I did actually just comment about Libya.

And I think that it is very likely. The US is losing ground daily economically and geopolitically. This imbecility of theirs to try and force Assad out gave Russia a huge influence boost because they've managed to protect their ally's independence from the US and the extremely rich gulf states, while also maintaining pressure in Ukraine. Russia is now definitely seen as a superpower again.

The new Asian Infrastructure Bank showed how the US did not want to join it, but all its allies did join it. In the end, the US joined up out of fear of being left out.

The BRICS nations also seem to be strengthening ties with one another so as to combat the undisputed power of the US. I think nations have had enough of decades of US intervention and complete focus only on the welfare of US corporations. A central american democratic government was toppled after a banana company lobbied the government to do so as the populist government went against the interests of foreign food companies...

Ah sorry, I missed that comment.

I must say Putin is playing the game very well. Europe has been destabilised too (though that's mainly Europe's fault but I'm willing to wager Putin had something to do with it)

What you think about the Islamic Development Bank? Specially its potential partnership with AIIB? I don't know much about them, but I don't trust the Saudi-backed Salafi spreading IDB (who has been known to fund the Muslim Brotherhood)

You're right. People are getting tired of US' shenanigans in other countries for corporate interests. Also the Iranian coup for the anglo-iranian oil company springs to mind (in this case the US tagged along). Although I'm not sure the petrodollar would collapse that easily, it goes too deep into the US' economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cato the Elder
All reports of these "plans" come from fringe conspiracy websites, sadly.

Plans for what? Libya?

True ... but you can put two and two together in a way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally...you seem to know a lot about politics..do you study it ?

Not at A-level, but I really do like geopolitics so I read around a lot. I hate having a strong opinion on something I don't know much about, and I usually have a lot of strong opinions. And so, I learn. I do take History at A level so I guess that's kind of close. Not as if we'd learn geopolitics at A-level politics though.
Original post by chemting
Plans for what? Libya?

True ... but you can put two and two together in a way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

About how Gaddafi was going to convert to a gold currency.
Not at A-level, but I really do like geopolitics so I read around a lot. I hate having a strong opinion on something I don't know much about, and I usually have a lot of strong opinions. And so, I learn. I do take History at A level so I guess that's kind of close. Not as if we'd learn geopolitics at A-level politics though.

yh true..you sitting ur AS or A2 exams in summer? I'll be sitting the AS in chem, bio and french.....so scared about chem !!
Ah sorry, I missed that comment.

I must say Putin is playing the game very well. Europe has been destabilised too (though that's mainly Europe's fault but I'm willing to wager Putin had something to do with it)

What you think about the Islamic Development Bank? Specially its potential partnership with AIIB? I don't know much about them, but I don't trust the Saudi-backed Salafi spreading IDB (who has been known to fund the Muslim Brotherhood)

You're right. People are getting tired of US' shenanigans in other countries for corporate interests. Also the Iranian coup for the anglo-iranian oil company springs to mind (in this case the US tagged along). Although I'm not sure the petrodollar would collapse that easily, it goes too deep into the US' economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is exactly why the US economy will likely soon enough collapse. The petrodollar will. It's a very long-running ponzi scheme already. The US government doesn't have the political unity to handle such a collapse of the petrodollar.

But yeah, I have to say I'm ashamed I don't know much of the Islamic Development Bank. It will certainly be very interesting to read into it some time soon though, so thanks for that.

And yup I too think Putin is playing the game (of thrones, heh) really quite well. He's putting continuous diplomatic pressure on Europe to remain independent from US hegemony because it is by far in Europe's interest to remain on good terms with Russia. Economically speaking, at least.

For example, Putin tried to trade Syria for Ukraine, where the US would ease up on forcing the EU to maintain sanctions on Russia in exchange for Russia's concessions in the Middle East and the sort.
yh true..you sitting ur AS or A2 exams in summer? I'll be sitting the AS in chem, bio and french.....so scared about chem !!

Oh gah, chemistry :tongue: The only thing I ever had trouble with (well, and French) in my IGCSEs. I'll be sitting my A levels this year; I'm retaking a few papers too.

I'm sure you'll do fine on your exams; good luck!
Original post by HAnwar
But if we are Muslims, we should also remember to correct him- no man made law can be preferred over Allah's law.

Then you are saying your interpretation is more correct!

And he disagrees with you, no intrinsic reason why your interpretation is more valid than his.
Oh gah, chemistry :tongue: The only thing I ever had trouble with (well, and French) in my IGCSEs. I'll be sitting my A levels this year; I'm retaking a few papers too.

I'm sure you'll do fine on your exams; good luck!

Thanks....Good luck to you too...Hope Allah will succeed you :h:
Original post by HAnwar

Allah made man, so doesn't that suggest all man-made laws are in fact Allah-made law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cato the Elder
About how Gaddafi was going to convert to a gold currency.

Ah yes, that's true. I wouldn't expect otherwise.

I only found one or two mainstream sources that said if this happened, it would've been a disaster but that's about it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yes, that's true. I wouldn't expect otherwise.

I only found one or two mainstream sources that said if this happened, it would've been a disaster but that's about it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give me these "sources".
الشعب يريد إسقاط النظام

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest