The Student Room Group

Studying in Scotland?

I live in Portugal and I'm thinking about studying abroad in college. I would love to study in England but tuition fees are extremely expensive. So, after some research, I found out that studying in Scotland is considerably less expensive, so I would like to know a little more about that. Does anyone here study there? What universities do you prefer (I'm studying Psychology)? How much are tuition fees? How much is the cost of living? Thank you :smile:))

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carolina19699
I live in Portugal and I'm thinking about studying abroad in college. I would love to study in England but tuition fees are extremely expensive. So, after some research, I found out that studying in Scotland is considerably less expensive, so I would like to know a little more about that. Does anyone here study there? What universities do you prefer (I'm studying Psychology)? How much are tuition fees? How much is the cost of living? Thank you :smile:))

It's less expensive because you do not have to pay tuition fees, as the Scottish government do not charge home students for tuition and thus cannot charge students in the EU for tuition either (tho they can for students in other countries in the UK :colone:). This makes a difference of around £9,000 a year - about EURO11,500.

I don't study in Scotland but I currently live in Edinburgh (the capital of Scotland). It is a lovely place to live :biggrin: although cold - especially if you are from Portugal :afraid:

What sort of exams are you doing in Portugal and how well do you expect to do?

The cost of living varies in Scotland, places like Edinburgh are more expensive and St Andrews I imagine is quite expensive but Glasgow is probably a lot cheaper. Tagging in someone who I know lives in Glasgow and studies there as she might be able to provide some more insight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, I have to do a Geometry Exam, Physics and Chemistry, Maths and Portuguese. I'm also planning on doing the CAE Cambridge Exam. And I'm a great student (I have a 20.0 average - from 0 to 20) so I think I'll do fine in the exams, or at least I hope :smile:

And thank you
Óla @Carolina19699!

Scotland is a fab place to study, I'm currently at Glasgow Uni and really enjoying it :smile:, like @Ethereal World said, places like Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee would probably be cheaper than places like Edinburgh and St Andrews, but by all means take each Uni into serious consideration, I've definitely heard good things from all of them. Cost of living in Glasgow is fairly reasonable, I've heard that St Andrews can be quite expensive but I'm sure you'll get more replies on this thread from people who actually go there. I know someone who's studying Psychology at St Andrew's and I think she's enjoying it, that's all my input tbh lol, hope you get the info you need boa sorte! :biggrin:
Thank you :smile:
Well, I have to do a Geometry Exam, Physics and Chemistry, Maths and Portuguese. I'm also planning on doing the CAE Cambridge Exam. And I'm a great student (I have a 20.0 average - from 0 to 20) so I think I'll do fine in the exams, or at least I hope :smile:

And thank you

Wow it sounds like you wouldn't struggle to get into any of the top universities in Scotland which are generally:

Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are both in the Russell Group which is a group of universities that are recognised as being good or well respected in the UK. St. Andrews isn't but it is an awesome university as well.

Edinburgh is a historic city- beautiful, expensive, lots of tourists!

Glasgow is a bit bigger than Edinburgh and is not as 'nice'/affluent but it is probably better on night life and shopping (I think)

Both have busy and accessible airports for you to fly between Portugal and EDI/GLA.

St Andrews is a bit more remote as it is a good hour from Edinburgh. You would have to fly to Edinburgh airport and travel to get up there. It is a very small and quaint town but it is absolutely stunning as it is on the coast.

You should look into all of those universities/at the courses and definitely apply!

And come on this site for advice with your UCAS application etc. Would you be applying this autumn to start in September 2017?

:biggrin:
Original post by Ethereal World
Wow it sounds like you wouldn't struggle to get into any of the top universities in Scotland which are generally:

Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are both in the Russell Group which is a group of universities that are recognised as being good or well respected in the UK. St. Andrews isn't but it is an awesome university as well.

Edinburgh is a historic city- beautiful, expensive, lots of tourists!

Glasgow is a bit bigger than Edinburgh and is not as 'nice'/affluent but it is probably better on night life and shopping (I think)

Both have busy and accessible airports for you to fly between Portugal and EDI/GLA.

St Andrews is a bit more remote as it is a good hour from Edinburgh. You would have to fly to Edinburgh airport and travel to get up there. It is a very small and quaint town but it is absolutely stunning as it is on the coast.

You should look into all of those universities/at the courses and definitely apply!

And come on this site for advice with your UCAS application etc. Would you be applying this autumn to start in September 2017?

:biggrin:

Yeah, probably... I still have to plan this very very well and find some place to live... Do you have any advice on that? And part-time jobs?
Original post by Blondie987
Óla @Carolina19699!

Scotland is a fab place to study, I'm currently at Glasgow Uni and really enjoying it :smile:, like @Ethereal World said, places like Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee would probably be cheaper than places like Edinburgh and St Andrews, but by all means take each Uni into serious consideration, I've definitely heard good things from all of them. Cost of living in Glasgow is fairly reasonable, I've heard that St Andrews can be quite expensive but I'm sure you'll get more replies on this thread from people who actually go there. I know someone who's studying Psychology at St Andrew's and I think she's enjoying it, that's all my input tbh lol, hope you get the info you need boa sorte! :biggrin:

lol Gasgow uni? :rofl:

Yours have nothing on Strathclyde.

Does the whole of glasgow uni building still look like a worn down slum?
Yeah, probably... I still have to plan this very very well and find some place to live... Do you have any advice on that? And part-time jobs?

yes planning is key :yep:

umm well at those universities I imagine they will provide accommodation for you in your first year in halls, so when you get offered a place to study you sort out living in the accommodation the university provides and just pay them the fee.

Then whilst you are in your first year you can meet friends etc. and then organise to live in a student house (where you pay rent to a landlord or agency).

Part time jobs are easy to come by if you want one! Lots of bars, restaurants or shops like H&M etc. where you could work on the weekend :biggrin:
One of the most expensive place to study in Scotland is Aberdeen, in fact I'd reckon it is the most expensive - housing and public transport costs are very high. Halls are more reasonable but I think they're only guaranteed for first year.
Original post by greatguy396

Pipe down and enjoy your coffee!

GG do you fancy coming to the Scotland meet up?
yes planning is key :yep:

umm well at those universities I imagine they will provide accommodation for you in your first year in halls, so when you get offered a place to study you sort out living in the accommodation the university provides and just pay them the fee.

Then whilst you are in your first year you can meet friends etc. and then organise to live in a student house (where you pay rent to a landlord or agency).

Part time jobs are easy to come by if you want one! Lots of bars, restaurants or shops like H&M etc. where you could work on the weekend :biggrin:

Oh okay, thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by DougallnDougall
One of the most expensive place to study in Scotland is Aberdeen, in fact I'd reckon it is the most expensive - housing and public transport costs are very high. Halls are more reasonable but I think they're only guaranteed for first year.

Okay, thank you :smile:
Original post by Blondie987
Pipe down and enjoy your coffee!

No stop ssying that. :frown:

That guy was a ****. :angry:
GG do you fancy coming to the Scotland meet up?

Maybe. :smile:

Where is it at?
Maybe. :smile:

Where is it at?

Your house I think?! That's what I put on the invite.

But prob GLA.
Your house I think?! That's what I put on the invite.

But prob GLA.

Yours can come to my mansion if yours want. :u:

But do you actually think people will turn up?
I study at University of Glasgow and live by myself for fairly cheap! I don't believe that EU students are eligible for student loan/grant etc from SAAS but your tuition fees would be covered at least! So you would probably want to consider getting a part time job, which would most students do anyway! I think Glasgow is a great place, very down to earth and depending on where you live, can be very cheap.
Yours can come to my mansion if yours want. :u:

But do you actually think people will turn up?

Well, me you and Blondie are all vegan. So we could vegan gainz.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending