The Student Room Group

Is two years age difference too much?

Scroll to see replies

Assuming you are as mature as each other then 2 years is nothing really.
nearly got with a 25 year old at 17, I think its more about the connection(within the parameters of legality).
Some others have commented on here about 16 year olds with 21 year olds, I think that's a bit much tbh. I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 21, but the type of stuff that a 21 year old wants out of a relationship (sex, maturity, someone smart enough to understand their studies/work etc) is something that I would not have been able to offer when I was 16. I know that 16 is the legal age, but I wouldn't have dated people in their 20s when I was that age. No matter how smart I thought I was, looking back now, I was very naive at age 16 and even if it's legal, an older guy would have definitely taken advantage of me.
Even my current boyfriend tells me that his friends think I'm really young even though it's only 3 years, and I know that his friends and family regularly ask him about me and how I'm doing etc, because even they're aware that being in my teens still I'm still vulnerable and he could still potentially take advantage if he wanted to.
In my opinion, age in relationships means less once you're both at university because you understand each other more. A school girl with a guy in university/working just doesn't seem right to me because your priorities are difference and also those younger girls are very inexperienced still. Being with a man in his 20s when you're 16 isn't something to brag about in my opinion.
Look at my username.

Do I seem to be a girl to you. Hahaha
Reply 24
Original post by whorace
2 years? / 2 + 7 rule, 19 / 2 (9.5) + 7 = 16.5 is ok for 19 but due to legal we'd say 16 is fine.

i never understood that rule....
Original post by Ablicious
No it is not, I'm seeing a 26-year-old and I am 20.....Not exactly dating but similar.

are you two exclusive, im kind of in the same position
Original post by Anonymous
Some others have commented on here about 16 year olds with 21 year olds, I think that's a bit much tbh. I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 21, but the type of stuff that a 21 year old wants out of a relationship (sex, maturity, someone smart enough to understand their studies/work etc) is something that I would not have been able to offer when I was 16. I know that 16 is the legal age, but I wouldn't have dated people in their 20s when I was that age. No matter how smart I thought I was, looking back now, I was very naive at age 16 and even if it's legal, an older guy would have definitely taken advantage of me.
Even my current boyfriend tells me that his friends think I'm really young even though it's only 3 years, and I know that his friends and family regularly ask him about me and how I'm doing etc, because even they're aware that being in my teens still I'm still vulnerable and he could still potentially take advantage if he wanted to.
In my opinion, age in relationships means less once you're both at university because you understand each other more. A school girl with a guy in university/working just doesn't seem right to me because your priorities are difference and also those younger girls are very inexperienced still. Being with a man in his 20s when you're 16 isn't something to brag about in my opinion.

I kind of agree with you, but ive been with my boyfriend for two years and he's a fresher, and while I'd say it is harder, as long as you want the same thing its fine :smile:
Original post by mkap
i never understood that rule....

Essentially its your (age/2) + 7 = x, where X is the minimum age of a person
that is considered "ok" to date.

The only issue that the equation shows is the older you get the wider the age range that is considered acceptable is.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

The only issue that the equation shows is the older you get the wider the age range that is considered acceptable is.

so mine would be 16 :eek: heck no i would never date a 16 year old hahah
Reply 29

oh okay thanks for explaining lets just say im 19/2 = 9.5+7 = 16 and a half haha i would never date a person more than a year younger then me, the rule is bobbins
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jackmolineux
Hey.

I'm dating someone who is 19 and a fresher at uni.

I'm 17 and in my first year of sixth form.

His friends think I am too young.
A few of mine have made comments. But on the whole think it's okay.

But they way I think of it, most peoples parents have a few years between them.

What do you think?

Yes that is fine :smile: Me and my girlfriend are 2 year, 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days apart in age (I'm 19 and she's 17) and it's ever been a problem :smile:
Original post by mkap
oh okay thanks for explaining lets just say im 19/2 = 9.5+7 = 16 and a half haha i would never date a person more than a year younger then me, the rule is bobbins

I'm (20/2)+7=17 though my ideal would be 19-24.

Obviously different people mature at different rates than others, therefore there would be a wide range of different mental ages. However, age exceptions are very rare.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
I'm (20/2)+7=17 though my ideal would be 19-24.

Obviously different people mature and have a different mental age than others
so there are exceptions but its very rare.

yeah ik but it would still be weird, im born at the end of august so im willing to go a year :lol:
2 years is too big of an age gap to them? Ridiculous.
My girlfriend's got her masters already and is working, while I've not left sixth form yet, talk about different levels in life. :P

(due to the educational system around here and stuff, I'm 20 while being in this situation though, so it's not like I'm underage or something)

It depends on circumstances I think. When I was 17 I was dating a 24 year old. He was doing a foundation year though and was very immature so it felt more equal.

OP 2 years is nothing. I just about finish college when I was dating someone about to start their third year in uni. No one said a word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackmolineux
Hey.

I'm dating someone who is 19 and a fresher at uni.

I'm 17 and in my first year of sixth form.

His friends think I am too young.
A few of mine have made comments. But on the whole think it's okay.

But they way I think of it, most peoples parents have a few years between them.

What do you think?

I really don't think you can have a rule like 'I'll date guys between 16 and 18', it depends on whether or not the two individuals are a good match for each other. Guys and girls mature at different rates anyway so it's natural for an older guy to date a younger girl. As long as the age difference isn't causing problems between you two, I don't see an issue here.
are you two exclusive, im kind of in the same position

No we're not
Original post by Ablicious
No we're not

how do you not catch feelings
how do you not catch feelings

We have, but we've talked about it which helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending