The Student Room Group

Would you give Labour a chance in 2020?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanielJames
Sort this mess out? More like mess this mess up even more. Just look at pre-2010. Have fun voting Labour anyway.

Sigh. Global economic crash.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Sigh. Global economic crash.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention the Tories fully signed up to it. Somehow I doubt theyre going to be more protectionist in the future either.

In any case, the Tories or at least Osborne may well be losing their perceived economic know how.
Original post by Davij038
Not to mention the Tories fully signed up to it. Somehow I doubt theyre going to be more protectionist in the future either.

In any case, the Tories or at least Osborne may well be losing their perceived economic know how.

I saw an absolutely fantastic piece in the DAILY MAIL about how Osborne is a liar and the UK is in a worse position to defend itself against another recession now.

It's taken 6 years but finally the Tory economic narrative is unraveling, thanks to IDS of all people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sort this mess out? More like mess this mess up even more. Just look at pre-2010. Have fun voting Labour anyway.

Labour isn't that bad, how would they mess up even more?
Original post by ckfeister
Labour isn't that bad, how would they mess up even more?

Hmmm, let me think. Disarmament, raise taxes, less help for new businesses, increase the welfare budget...... need more?
Hmmm, let me think. Disarmament, raise taxes, less help for new businesses, increase the welfare budget...... need more?

Typical tory brainwasher, I'm centre-wing btw and Cameron is fooling everyone so is George with their magical words thats everyone seems to listen to.
Labour has made less economic crisis than Conservatives all together almost 2x more. They won't raise tax very high, instead they going to put top end from 45% to 50% so NHS be sorted, short-term borrowing which will shoot up the economic then repay while growing, but only to a point where we are sorted, such a 2 years. They will also do checks every week by independent bodies to see if any faulties will come in. They are even getting backing by right-wingers from conservative background from these policy's so before you listen to everything that Cameron or family says (as you WAS born and RAISED when crisis BEGUN and kids are like monkey see, monkey do) check with facts and figures over fake facts.
Typical tory brainwasher, I'm centre-wing btw and Cameron is fooling everyone so is George with their magical words thats everyone seems to listen to.
Labour has made less economic crisis than Conservatives all together almost 2x more. They won't raise tax very high, instead they going to put top end from 45% to 50% so NHS be sorted, short-term borrowing which will shoot up the economic then repay while growing, but only to a point where we are sorted, such a 2 years. They will also do checks every week by independent bodies to see if any faulties will come in. They are even getting backing by right-wingers from conservative background from these policy's so before you listen to everything that Cameron or family says (as you WAS born and RAISED when crisis BEGUN and kids are like monkey see, monkey do) check with facts and figures over fake facts.

I was born shortly after the glory years of Thatcher, unfortunately into a Labour government. I have grown up for the majority of my life under a labour government, a labour government that has failed. I have no reason to ever trust them again. While at the moment under the Tories unemployment is falling, benefits are being cut, we are continuing to invest in Trident, while slowly pulling troops out of the mess that is Afghanistan. I have pretty good knowledge of historical politics too since I have studied it, and I can say that Labour has been mostly on the bad side throughout. I'll admit that the Tories have had failures but in the present day and age they are the best party to run this country.
[also just to note, the Keynesism approach of borrow and spend doesn't work, we get in to debt with people we should get in to debt with, and the economy slides even further. Hence the recession we seem to have got ourselves out of under a Tory government.
Corbyn is slightly too left wing for me, but I will still be voting labour, so yeah I'd give him a chance. TBH I don't think Corbyn in power would do much, but at least there would be less cuts!!!! I do enoy PMQ's with him though.... :borat:

P.S: The tories (Thatcher and Cameron... BOOOO) and Labour (Naughty little Blair and weak Brown) have consistently destroyed the country (the Lib Dems are just suck ups!!!) Voting is becoming increasingly difficult like who do you choose? Governments are solely puppets serving the interests on the elite class and big corporations/business. The way we do politics needs to be reformed.... or else voting for different parties won't solve the underlying issue.... :colone:
I was born shortly after the glory years of Thatcher, unfortunately into a Labour government. I have grown up for the majority of my life under a labour government, a labour government that has failed. I have no reason to ever trust them again. While at the moment under the Tories unemployment is falling, benefits are being cut, we are continuing to invest in Trident, while slowly pulling troops out of the mess that is Afghanistan. I have pretty good knowledge of historical politics too since I have studied it, and I can say that Labour has been mostly on the bad side throughout. I'll admit that the Tories have had failures but in the present day and age they are the best party to run this country.
[also just to note, the Keynesism approach of borrow and spend doesn't work, we get in to debt with people we should get in to debt with, and the economy slides even further. Hence the recession we seem to have got ourselves out of under a Tory government.

Thought so, you was brainwashed while growing up into thinking they are good and labour is bad. There is no useage for trident, you ever think the button will ever be used? Its just a hangover to keep USA relationship strong, and to try to keep our nation unique.
Thought so, you was brainwashed while growing up into thinking they are good and labour is bad. There is no useage for trident, you ever think the button will ever be used? Its just a hangover to keep USA relationship strong, and to try to keep our nation unique.

Unfortunately there is a lot of public support for a nuclear deterrent. I make an intelligent guess that around 60% of white indigenous British people are in favour of using nukes against ISIS / Daesh.
Original post by Arran90
Unfortunately there is a lot of public support for a nuclear deterrent. I make an intelligent guess that around 60% of white indigenous British people are in favour of using nukes against ISIS / Daesh.

They aren't used against ISIS....
I saw an absolutely fantastic piece in the DAILY MAIL about how Osborne is a liar and the UK is in a worse position to defend itself against another recession now.

It's taken 6 years but finally the Tory economic narrative is unraveling, thanks to IDS of all people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really sure there's much objective evidence for the claim that we're in a worse position now (a few years ago, yes). The only real thing i can think of to satisfy that remark is the lower real income growth that has occurred in the 08-13 period which has especially made the working poor and lower middle class more vulnerable.

The real problem with any recession will be the after effects, you can't engage in massive austerity again.
Original post by Arran90

I don't think people are advocating a nuclear first strike even against ISIS but yes, most do support the deterrent and likely retaliation.
They aren't used against ISIS....

I think he meant the theoretical use of nukes against ISIS.
I think labour going to come into a surprise in the future, Corbyn will attract new voters not just every student is ON TSR... besides, conservatives true colours are now showing, I'm going to be middle/upper class in future and I don't like they cutting taxes and cutting disabled benefits.

Corbyn attracts new voters but he also loses old voters. It's not good if for every Muslim or Commie he attracts he loses two white English working class folk to UKIP and fails to win the support of a single middle England type from the Conservatives.

I think trust to David Cameron will begin to slim as the truth begins to come out, people will have to pick... more choas for public services or get labour in to sort this mess out aka. investment for the future.

Nobody has mentioned the 1930s. The Great Depression coincided with a massive Conservative majority in Parliament. Does anybody know why this was the case? Was it the result of a lack of a credible opposition more than anything else?
Original post by Arran90
Corbyn attracts new voters but he also loses old voters. It's not good if for every Muslim or Commie he attracts he loses two white English working class folk to UKIP and fails to win the support of a single middle England type from the Conservatives.

Conservatives strong point is South England, Labour strong points WAS Scotland, IS North England and Wales.

If they regain more from Wales, Scotland they'll win a majority. South England and only a bit of Midlands was ever Labour.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm not really sure there's much objective evidence for the claim that we're in a worse position now (a few years ago, yes). The only real thing i can think of to satisfy that remark is the lower real income growth that has occurred in the 08-13 period which has especially made the working poor and lower middle class more vulnerable.

The real problem with any recession will be the after effects, you can't engage in massive austerity again.

The argument Peter Oborne made was that we are less protected in case of another recession. That we don't have the funds to bail out the banks if we needed to.

He is right, and so is IDS. Osborne has been so obsessed with his own targets, leadership ambitions and setting up traps for Labour that he has neglected the fact that there are humans affected by his decisions. He's fallen into the traps he set for Labour.

IDS was also right in that Osborne has really gone after non-tory voters like the low earners and disabled while protecting wealthy tory-voting pensioners. Hardly the mark of a one nation tory.

The idea that he and Cameron are 'compassionate conservatives' is laughable. If anything, Clegg and Alexander are 'compassionate conservatives'.
The argument Peter Oborne made was that we are less protected in case of another recession. That we don't have the funds to bail out the banks if we needed to.

He is right, and so is IDS. Osborne has been so obsessed with his own targets, leadership ambitions and setting up traps for Labour that he has neglected the fact that there are humans affected by his decisions. He's fallen into the traps he set for Labour.

IDS was also right in that Osborne has really gone after non-tory voters like the low earners and disabled while protecting wealthy tory-voting pensioners. Hardly the mark of a one nation tory.

The idea that he and Cameron are 'compassionate conservatives' is laughable. If anything, Clegg and Alexander are 'compassionate conservatives'.

He's very wrong and i'm not surprised you've not fact checked here..

1) At 4.4% the fiscal deficit as a proportion of GDP is the lowest since 2007. If we could borrow in 2008, we can borrow now.

2) Most importantly, the bank bailouts were not paid for via the conventional government budget (not unless we sprung a £800bn deficit). The process is complicated but essentially they were unfunded liabilities given a guarantee by government (similar to pensions or Help To Buy). There's little evidence that there'd be any trouble doing so again.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh FFS, the Tories worst week in years and Corbyn couldn't land a glove. You've got to think that someone like Blair would be making mincemeat of them at the moment.
He has to go, someone needs to challenge him before it's too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i classify myself in the centre but i don't know how people can vote for a party that are willing to cut funds for disabled people to feed the rich. That is just evil imo. Can never vote tory again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending