The Student Room Group

Log functions?

Hi guys,

I've got an algebra investigation to do and as I'm taught by power point presentations I completely don't understand what the question is about...

I have to use algebra to extend the model for the growth of bacteria colonies ( each bacterium divides into two every minute).
You could investigate:
a) The relationship between the number of bacteria and the size of the colony

b) Different rates of replication

c) Colonies of different sizes at the start

d) Effect of growth limiting factors (such as build-up of waste products, competition for space)

Explain all the steps of your analysis and state any assumptions you make in constructing your model. Give references for any data you use.

Is there anyone who can explain it to me so I know what to do please?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by ucina

a) The relationship between the number of bacteria and the size of the colony

You think about it. If you have 22 bacteria how many will there be in the next minute, and the next, and the next?

What happens if we change this to 55 bacteria, how many will there be in the next minute and the next, and the next?

What about 1010?

Can you notice any distinct patterns? What about NN bacteria?
Reply 2
Seems like I have to go back to primary school :biggrin:
I get the pattern,I guess... Bacteria double every minute,yes? I don't know how to write it down, I really don't know...

Math's ruining my life for the N time.
Reply 3
Original post by ucina
Seems like I have to go back to primary school :biggrin:
I get the pattern,I guess... Bacteria double every minute,yes? I don't know how to write it down, I really don't know...

Math's ruining my life for the N time.

What sequence does 2n2^n generate? :-)
n = number of bacteria
2^n = size of the colony
mb xD
Extend the model one step at a time. Think about what would happen if the colony triples in size every minute or more generally is multiplied by A every minute.
Think about what would happen if you started with a different number of bacteria.
Look at the differential equation and try adding a term.

Quick Reply

Latest