The Student Room Group

Should I buy a cat D car?

So I'm searching for a new car to buy as my first car and I found a vauxhall corsa which is labeled as "Cat D" in 2011. The price of the car is okay within my budget but I'm just worried about buying it incase if "Cat D" is bad? Any tips?
Reply 1
As in a category D writeoff? If I remember correctly, Cat D is ineconomic to repair. So unless you have access to parts and the skills to fix it, I'd swerve it.
Reply 2
Original post by HFBS
As in a category D writeoff? If I remember correctly, Cat D is ineconomic to repair. So unless you have access to parts and the skills to fix it, I'd swerve it.

It says in the description "Very light wing and bumber, but professionally repaired and been used ever since". Doesn't mention anything about writeoff but would that be good? sorry btw I'm a total newb when it comes to things like this.
Original post by ramo55
It says in the description "Very light wing and bumber, but professionally repaired and been used ever since". Doesn't mention anything about writeoff but would that be good? sorry btw I'm a total newb when it comes to things like this.

A write off is the opposite of good. The car has been in a smash.
CAT D is the lowest damage for a car. Basically, the insurance company figure it's cheaper for them to give a cash settlement rather than pay out for repairs/a replacement (which would also include the cost of towing, courtesy car, inspection etc) but the car can be repaired fully and returned to the road. However, some insurance companies may charge a higher premium.

Best thing to do is test drive the car (make sure all the gears work, it can get up to speed, the clutch isn't jerky or slipping, breaks work well etc) and really inspect it if you go see it. Like under the bonnet, oil, coolant, the paint, bumpers, wing mirrors, even under the car! Consider getting it checked by a mechanic (but you'll need to pay for this)
Ask tons of questions about it: What damage did the car sustain? Where and what work was carried out? What parts were replaced? Check the service history.

Hope this helps.
Insurers sometimes either totally refuse to insure a Cat D or hike up the prices. Be very careful before making a final decision.
Bargepole distance from it really.
Reply 7
Original post by ramo55
btw I'm a total newb when it comes to things like this.

I think for this reason alone steer clear.
Reply 8
Original post by ramo55
So I'm searching for a new car to buy as my first car and I found a vauxhall corsa which is labeled as "Cat D" in 2011. The price of the car is okay within my budget but I'm just worried about buying it incase if "Cat D" is bad? Any tips?

Your insurers will definitely insure the corsa ! But they may insure it slightly higher than for a normal corsa's. I mean cat D's are really cheap and corsa's are solid , however it will depreciate in price rapidly as time goes on because it's a write off, But as a first car regarding there's nothing wrong with it , you're all good , just get a insurance quote that'll suit you.

( I buy Cat D cars and fix them to try pay off my student loan lol )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cat D means it's only been written off because it's old and paying someone else to do the repairs is worth more than the car. For example a damaged body panel replace/respray is £300+ potentially, why spend that on a £500 car, you could buy a different car for not much more.

There won't be much wrong with it more than likely, but you don't know.

Is it from a dealer or private sale? Steer clear of Cat C/D private sales.
Reply 10
Original post by ramo55

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/safety_and_security_centre/insurance_categories

Original post by HFBS
I think for this reason alone steer clear.

^this
Reply 11
A car can be cat D if it's nicked with the keys and missing for more than 60 days so not neccesarily the end of the world.

Like everything else, have a look and assess it on it's own merrits.
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
A car can be cat D if it's nicked with the keys and missing for more than 60 days

Interesting, why?

(I'm guessing it's because the claim might already have been settled prior to the recovery?)
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
Interesting, why?

(I'm guessing it's because the claim might already have been settled prior to the recovery?)

You got it.
Reply 14
Original post by JC.
You got it.

Yay me!

Although I doubt I'd want my pride and joy back if some toerag has had it for 2 months....

And a potential (and inexperienced) Cat D buyer should also have that concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
the simple guide
cat a- literally a cube of metal or an incinerated shell
cat b- un repairable structure damage to chassis
cat c-damage normally written off as a matter of finance
cat d- damage not major can still be driven (my dad's monado is a cat d it's of a 10p hold in the rear bumper case and missing paint on the front)
My Dad has been dealing cat D cars for nearly 10 years. He has always repaired them to a high standard as best as possible.

92% of his cars have ran very well, low mileage and well cared by previous owners +full MOT history, service history, and has always let buyers view the car properly/inspect it. He has also been honest to buyers about previous damage.

A few cars might have had problems or need more repair, but my Dad has been honest about it to buyers.

If a car is catD, check the car, ask seller what damage was, where it was repaired. Make sure theres no repair mistakes, etc. Check history and how it runs.

Some cat D cars might have had only minor damage like a bump, dent or scrape. If their well repaired, they can be worth it at a reasonable good price.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Yay me!

Although I doubt I'd want my pride and joy back if some toerag has had it for 2 months....

And a potential (and inexperienced) Cat D buyer should also have that concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I once went to visit my mate in brighton. He'd had his car nicked about 4 weeks ago. Totally by chance we found it parked up in a side street. Luckily he still had the car key on his bunch of keys... so we nicked it back!
No, for the love of god and for the sake of how deep your pocket is. Do not buy a CAT D or C car. I've never done it, it's just not worth the risk!
Problem with Cat D's, (and even Cat D's that have been repaired) is that even though the damage that is apparent has been fully repaired, you can never know for sure the true extent of the collision. e.g. other parts may die on you, a hell of a lot quicker than they would on a non-cat D car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending