The Student Room Group

Need a doctor's note for uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Getting a medical letter for a health-related problem is not a waste of a GP's time.

A medical letter that says "yes, these are the symptoms of a migraine - if he was having these symptoms, he was probably having a migraine" isn't something that a nurse could easily do, and therefore a waste of 11 years of training?

These 2 doctors seem to disagree with you, and I know other GPs that would say the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3021852/Worker-hands-scathing-doctor-s-letter-bosses-slamming-Pizza-Hut-policy-requiring-sick-note-one-day-off.html
http://twentytwowords.com/canadian-doctors-perfect-response-to-employers-who-require-doctors-notes-for-sick-days/

Obviously, if you're genuinely concerned that it could be something more, book an appointment, but if you just need someone to write a letter saying what the symptoms of a migraine are, I think someone with a bachelors is just about qualified.

Sick notes (when not just skiving) are a waste of everyone's time, but if you're going to waste someone's, don't waste the GP's if you can (though if seeing a nurse isn't possible, then by all means).
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, I can see what you mean, but surely lots of people don't actually have observable symptoms when in a GP consultation?

Eg a consultation about abdominal pain, the GP can't actually see anything for themselves. Or a consultation about a mental health problem - the person could be completely lying.

Even if the GP spoke to someone when they were having a migraine, how is that any different from taking a history from them afterwards? Is "I have a headache now" any more believable than "I had a headache yesterday"?

I imagine going through the GP would give this more legitimacy to the university, because the GP can listen to the symptoms and is medically trained to interpret them. That is, if the GP is willing to write a note based on a retrospective description.

I disagree. Someone who is having a migraine looks and behaves very different to someone who isn't.

I personally would feel uncomfortable writing a retrospective sick note. And I do feel as though it's a waste of resources having to pander to a university that is being awkward rather than treating its students like adults.
Original post by JoeTSR
Sick notes (when not just skiving) are a waste of everyone's time, but if you're going to waste someone's, don't waste the GP's if you can (though if seeing a nurse isn't possible, then by all means).
Nurses cannot issue sick notes as far as I'm aware. I've certainly not met one who can, anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Etomidate
Nurses cannot issue sick notes as far as I'm aware. I've certainly not met one who can, anyway.

Guessing it may depend on who wants it, and what their individual requirements are? NIPs can prescribe, no reason they can't jot 'X had a cold' down on a bit of paper (though not a formal letter)?
The problem is no ongoing relationship with someone who walks in off the street.
If they had one then a GP cna feel more comfy becayse its treated as an ongoing condition.

Would I use a GP? yes if thats what the uni required? Is it beings selfish? Well theres 5% at stake, which is half a grade.
Nurses can be harder to get appointments with and its time critical. the GP either will or wont, its easier to say yes or no and deal with it there and then. I can imagine a wording that will be the best she can get without sacrificing a Drs integrity. Some Drs would just write you one.
Original post by Etomidate
I disagree. Someone who is having a migraine looks and behaves very different to someone who isn't.

I personally would feel uncomfortable writing a retrospective sick note. And I do feel as though it's a waste of resources having to pander to a university that is being awkward rather than treating its stud

Well if the uni wants a sick note, then OP can't really help that. Considering this is 5% of a grade, tbh I'd say this is possibly more important than a lot of the stuff a GP will see in typical day. Of course, the GP may not want to write one, but I think some GPs certainly would, and it is definitely worth pursuing for the OP.

Original post by JoeTSR
A medical letter that says "yes, these are the symptoms of a migraine - if he was having these symptoms, he was probably having a migraine" isn't something that a nurse could easily do, and therefore a waste of 11 years of training?

These 2 doctors seem to disagree with you, and I know other GPs that would say the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3021852/Worker-hands-scathing-doctor-s-letter-bosses-slamming-Pizza-Hut-policy-requiring-sick-note-one-day-off.html
http://twentytwowords.com/canadian-doctors-perfect-response-to-employers-who-require-doctors-notes-for-sick-days/

Obviously, if you're genuinely concerned that it could be something more, book an appointment, but if you just need someone to write a letter saying what the symptoms of a migraine are, I think someone with a bachelors is just about qualified.

I don't personally think assessing whether someone has had a migraine or not would be a typical thing for a nurse to do? More of a doctor's task I would say - the symptoms could be something else etc etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you sure they aren't asking you to fill out a form that is self certifying?

My GP surgery will NOT do retrospective sick notes - they have to have seen you in person whilst you were unwell.
Original post by Jenx301
Are you sure they aren't asking you to fill out a form that is self certifying?

My GP surgery will NOT do retrospective sick notes - they have to have seen you in person whilst you were unwell.

I doubt self certifying will carry much weight. I go the impression the GPs not was either from the form or her lecturer.
Reply 27
I don't personally think assessing whether someone has had a migraine or not would be a typical thing for a nurse to do? More of a doctor's task I would say - the symptoms could be something else etc etc.

I would hope so - St John Ambulance volunteers are fully permitted to recognise, medicate and discharge migraines without intervention.
I had a few different GPs write sick notes for uni after the incident, generally if you mention its for uni they will do it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
I had a few different GPs write sick notes for uni after the incident, generally if you mention its for uni they will do it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you approach it right and agree a wording with them then I think its possible and id fancy my chances. bit harder if you havent seen the GP for 5 years.
Original post by 999tigger
If you approach it right and agree a wording with them then I think its possible and id fancy my chances. bit harder if you havent seen the GP for 5 years.

I got notes from 3 different surgery's one was a new durgery as id just moved to the area

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got notes from 3 different surgery's one was a new durgery as id just moved to the area

Posted from TSR Mobile

Were they retropsective notes though?
Were they retropsective notes though?

Yep, all my notes were (i got quite ill in third year and had to apply for extenuating circs a few times after the fact)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're not sure what to do just go to your universities help department and ask how to fill in the form, and yes a doctors note is a part of it that you need
Yep, all my notes were (i got quite ill in third year and had to apply for extenuating circs a few times after the fact)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then that just backs up what i was saying. It cna be done, although it might take a bit of nouse to get one. Voila for the OP 5% of a grade saved.
Yes you cna self certify you were ill, but thats for employment law.
You have a problem. How do you know it was a migraine? You havent been to the Drs in 5 years, which presumably means you arent receiving treatment and could be making it up and thye have to believe you retropsectively. I cna imaine a Dr who has never met you will be reluctant, but if you manage it right, then you have a chance.

You need to ask them if they would or could give you a note and then you need to describe the symptoms of the migraine to them so they can at least recognise what you had. Obviously voimiting, pain and incapacitation would be a good start. there is a way they can word it if they are willing. Tbh you should have gone beforehand and also you should have alerted the uni beforehand as retrospectively looks supicious. Think about it and negotiate with them its pot luck whether you get someone sympathetic.

You might as well have a try to get one and if one Dr wont give it you then go to another. 5% is worth fighting for and you could maybe ask for a compromise i.e a chance to sit the exam at a different date. Hopefully you already have good attendance and good grades.

Good luck, but really you should have dragged yourself to the GP before.

How could the OP have known they were going to get a migraine (or any illness for that matter) before hand and go and get a doctors note before the illness occurred? And if they were too ill to go into uni it stands to reason they were likely to ill to go to the doctors just to have it confirmed on paper they are ill. I've had migraines like that, it's not safe to travel in those conditions. And that's without even thinking about how in some areas GPs are so over prescribed it's nigh impossible to get an appointment the same week let alone the same day unless it's an emergency...and even then.

Although I agree they should have emailed their uni before the practical/on the day (if they didn't) to say they wouldn't make it.

But yeah I don't understand what you mean by they should have gone beforehand?
(edited 8 years ago)
There is also the issue that typically, GP's are generally very busy, and massively over-subscribed, and as such then, by the time you actually get an appt through.....the issue has either passed, improved etc, so it is not really logical to say "yeah its gotta be done on the day." That, in addition to the fact that there isn't a test for migraines (as far as I am aware....).......
Original post by SophieSmall
How could the OP have known they were going to get a migraine (or any illness for that matter) before hand and go and get a doctors note before the illness occurred? And if they were too ill to go into uni it stands to reason they were likely to ill to go to the doctors just to have it confirmed on paper they are ill. I've had migraines like that, it's not safe to travel in those conditions.

Although I agree they should have emailed their uni before the practical/on the day (if they didn't) to say they wouldn't make it.

But yeah I don't understand what you mean by they should have gone beforehand?

Before the exam or during the attacck. At some stage she/he will have made the choice it was going to be bad and they might not attend. With migraines they arent instant, they build over time till you are un a full blown attack. so there would have been a window in which they could have gone to the GP.
Before the exam or during the attacck. At some stage she/he will have made the choice it was going to be bad and they might not attend. With migraines they arent instant, they build over time till you are un a full blown attack. so there would have been a window in which they could have gone to the GP.

It's not always safe to travel to the GP during an attack. I personally can barely see or walk during an attack, not exactly a good idea to be be crossing any roads during that time.

And that's not the experience I have had with migraines. Mine are pretty much sudden and come without warning and very little build up time (30-60 mins tops), though thankfully rare.

And that also ignores that they may not have even been able to get an appointment with their GP during that narrow window anyway. Some GPs you wait a 3-7 days for an appointment, some more. This would not have been an emergency and so they would not have been able to get an emergency appointment.
She could have caught the bus or a cab. The point is in her evidence note she can say that and they can verify she tried to go through official channels, at the moment she just self certified, which is weaker. I would/could have dragged myself there.

Most people go through a pre phase. I can tell when one is coming on. If you have a lot you cna sense hwo your body is changing.
https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/migraine-what-is-it/symptoms-and-stages/
http://www.achenet.org/resources/migraine_attack_the_four_phases/
https://migraine.com/migraine-basics/migraine-phases/

Quick Reply

Latest