The Student Room Group

Dofe Sway me

Basically after a horrendous dofe gold practice i'm really genuinely considering dropping out.

Our first day was supposed to be 19km and it turned out we actually had to walk 29km

2nd day was supposed to be the easiest day at 11.9 km but it was 27km long also 1000m total climb where we went up hart felt mountain?(think that's what it's called. Then a night of wild camping

3rd day initially ok and was 17km but near the end my team were really bad since they joined up with 2 other groups and went upon a route specifically told not to do by one of the teachers. We went 6km/hour while on the road to the train station where we were supposed to get there by 12:30am according to the rest of the groups and somehow i wasn't informed of this. It was supposed to be a relaxing day apparently not. Because no-one unless they're a ****king big man can they stop a group of about 21 ppl walking towards the train station. All i got out of it was a terrible crippling walk speed of about 3km/hour and the whole of the 3 groups besides a few were shunning me for going too slow. Plus through all this **** that i got i ****ing did training too a 5 km run every Saturday and a short run around my local park(without stopping) to help increase my stamina.

So about that 3km/hour thing i basically got a wound and it opened a bit (u know the little crinkly bits of skin on the Achilles tendon near the heel? basically that bit opened a bit and since my boots and socks were soaking with water since my team decided to go through a super wet marsh where your feet would sink in mud all the way up to your ankles so you'd have to be careful if you didn't want to drown in mud. So essentially my ankles were stinging the whole way and i'd say 3km/hour was pretty good for an injury like that. I also had the other classic things like super achey shoulders and tired legs and the lot. But i feel like i have no control over any of the group since everyone thinks so low of me because i was really unfit. I don't understand my group because one second they complement saying "oh you're doing so well keep going you can do it all that bs" then the next is "wtf are you doing you're so slow hurry up etc and the rest of it" so what can i do? Like i definitely see one of my other team members ankles and they were no where near as bad as mine and i have other ppl of other dofe groups in the boarding house too and the ankles appeared fine so i'm assuming everyone elses ankles and feet and my group were ok compared to mine.

The reason my group had to walk all this was because someone who was formerly in my group left and did days 1 and 2 on the maps and the route cards. Thing is though the problem was partly due to ex member but also the teachers fault because they gave us the wrong maps and said even though we asked so kindly and even though we were right the teachers said that we still had to follow the route on the MAP not ROUTE CARDS. What can i do? I'm being seriously serious about this because in Scotland where there's midges galore when it's Summer time(yes that's where we're going on our actual gold, plus it's 4 days and 2 nights) and the fact that things'll be hell up there should i really do gold?

The total of roughly 71km in total killed me especially when sleeping in a sleeping bag doesn't help to recover your shoulders and achey feet.

Tl;DR My team walked a distance way further than planned. 3rd day my team rushed me at a rate of 6km/hour and i got an injury roughly on my Achilles tendon area and IMO it was a lot worse than other ppls ankles and feet area. My team has a weird system of complementing and "encouragement". Reason my team walked super far was because and ex member did the maps and the teachers ****ed up distributing maps. All in all the question is DO I CARRY ON WITH GOLD? especially after that horrendous experience.

Someone sway me either side, i'm a pessimist so i'll play devils advocate and ask why or not i should or shouldn't do it.
Original post by thefatone
DO I CARRY ON WITH GOLD?

I think the question needs more info I'm afraid.

Why did you decide to take Gold DofE in the first place? What were you hoping to get out of it?

If you were to continue what would you benefit from the expedition in the Summer? What would you miss out on if you dropped out now?

I think you're (understandably) focused on your recent shitty experience but if you want to make a good decision you need to take a step back, remember what your initial hopes/plans were and decide whether you think you're likely to meet those hopes if you carry on.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I think the question needs more info I'm afraid.

Why did you decide to take Gold DofE in the first place? What were you hoping to get out of it?

If you were to continue what would you benefit from the expedition in the Summer? What would you miss out on if you dropped out now?

I think you're (understandably) focused on your recent shitty experience but if you want to make a good decision you need to take a step back, remember what your initial hopes/plans were and decide whether you think you're likely to meet those hopes if you carry on.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3962371<---- i made this thread bc no-one replied to this thread here but now i've got some answer so go there and check it out.

1. I just felt like doing something with my time other than being a lazy sh*t and doing nothing
2. All the badges of Bronze , Silver and Gold( yes i know that's lame but still >.>)
3. Completing my gold within 6th form since i've pretty much got all my other sections covered
4. ^^ reverse of 3 and not completing 2. So no completing gold and only badges for bronze and silver ;(

pls note my logic and reason for doing things are very different...

Quick Reply

Latest