The Student Room Group

Muslim Secularist, Ask me Anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caius Filimon
That is exactly why the US economy will likely soon enough collapse. The petrodollar will. It's a very long-running ponzi scheme already. The US government doesn't have the political unity to handle such a collapse of the petrodollar.

But yeah, I have to say I'm ashamed I don't know much of the Islamic Development Bank. It will certainly be very interesting to read into it some time soon though, so thanks for that.

And yup I too think Putin is playing the game (of thrones, heh) really quite well. He's putting continuous diplomatic pressure on Europe to remain independent from US hegemony because it is by far in Europe's interest to remain on good terms with Russia. Economically speaking, at least.

For example, Putin tried to trade Syria for Ukraine, where the US would ease up on forcing the EU to maintain sanctions on Russia in exchange for Russia's concessions in the Middle East and the sort.

Definite ponzi scheme. Just like the sub-prime mortgage crisis in 2008. It will fall, I just don't know when - it probably won't be as soon as people are saying though. This will be milked out to the last drop of oil (pun intended). Just hope the world has enough to survive.

Me neither, I must stress that IDB funding Islamist groups are allegations*, but they are funding madrasas and "Islamic centres". They are doing some good things though in poor areas.

Ooh I didn't know he tried to trade Syria for Ukraine. I need to read over that. Reminds me how Putin got the BRIC to put forward a plan for bailing out Greece, this is clear trolling towards the EU.

*these allegations are the same type of allegations that says Saudi is committing war crimes in Yemen, and Assad is killing civvies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cato the Elder
Give me these "sources".

Uggh I have to go on a digging spree... I've told you, most (in fact almost all) are not mainstream

https://www.rt.com/news/economy-oil-gold-libya/

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/apr/21/libya-muammar-gaddafi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Then you are saying your interpretation is more correct!

And he disagrees with you, no intrinsic reason why your interpretation is more valid than his.

There is no interpretation here.
A Muslim supporting man made law? Even a non Muslim would agree it sounds fishy rejecting your God's law.

As laymen we can't make our own interpretations, and I'm sure you'd agree no scholar of Islam would agree with OP.
Original post by chemting
Allah made man, so doesn't that suggest all man-made laws are in fact Allah-made law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Definite ponzi scheme. Just like the sub-prime mortgage crisis in 2008. It will fall, I just don't know when - it probably won't be as soon as people are saying though. This will be milked out to the last drop of oil (pun intended). Just hope the world has enough to survive.

Me neither, I must stress that IDB funding Islamist groups are allegations*, but they are funding madrasas and "Islamic centres". They are doing some good things though in poor areas.

Ooh I didn't know he tried to trade Syria for Ukraine. I need to read over that. Reminds me how Putin got the BRIC to put forward a plan for bailing out Greece, this is clear trolling towards the EU.

*these allegations are the same type of allegations that says Saudi is committing war crimes in Yemen, and Assad is killing civvies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, Assad's chemical attack has already been debunked. I would say that the Saudi's actions in Yemen are likely VERY detrimental to the civilian population. Just look at the human rights history of the Saudis and their foreign policy of supporting terror (almost overtly).

And those 'good things' are just there to pursue people to listen to the Saudis. I mean, some good might have been done, but for terrible end goals in the end. But that's just speculation, of course.

And the US refused the trade, by the way. And Russia's withdrawal from Syria was meant to bolster Russia's image on the world stage, while pressuring Assad to seek out a peace treaty and finally stop the drain on the Russian military so focus can be put back on the Ukrainian front.
Original post by HAnwar
A Muslim supporting man made law? Even a non Muslim would agree it sounds fishy rejecting your God's law.

As laymen we can't make our own interpretations, and I'm sure you'd agree no scholar of Islam would agree with OP.

Considering you'd disagree with many "scholar" of Islam, I don't think anyone is in a position to say that.

However if you feel this way, maybe then Islam apologist should stop writing articles such as this?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/secularism-islam-islamic-state_b_6426300.html

A clear manifestation of Islamophobic media, giving the wrong interpretation and selling misinformation to the public. Why wasn't this called out as Islamophobic?

Original post by HAnwar
No.

I am now officially enlightened by the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Considering you'd disagree with many "scholar" of Islam, I don't think anyone is in a position to say that.

However if you feel this way, maybe then Islam apologist should stop writing articles such as this?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/secularism-islam-islamic-state_b_6426300.html

A clear manifestation of Islamophobic media, giving the wrong interpretation and selling misinformation to the public. Why wasn't this called out as Islamophobic?

I am now officially enlightened by the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Care to give an example of who I disagree with?

Yeah they should.

Good to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, Assad's chemical attack has already been debunked. I would say that the Saudi's actions in Yemen are likely VERY detrimental to the civilian population. Just look at the human rights history of the Saudis and their foreign policy of supporting terror (almost overtly).

And those 'good things' are just there to pursue people to listen to the Saudis. I mean, some good might have been done, but for terrible end goals in the end. But that's just speculation, of course.

And the US refused the trade, by the way. And Russia's withdrawal from Syria was meant to bolster Russia's image on the world stage, while pressuring Assad to seek out a peace treaty and finally stop the drain on the Russian military so focus can be put back on the Ukrainian front.

Just been reading all your comments in this thread and just want to say wow you are very knowledgeable! Especially considering you are only 17/18 (I'm assuming as you said you are doing your A levels).

May I ask how you go about reading on these topics? Do you read from books or just internet in general? (Just curious for myself!)

Also if you are planning on going to uni, what are you wanting to study? (Again just interested in knowing! I could take a guess and say something politics related? But I don't want to just make that assumption lol)
Original post by HAnwar
Care to give an example of who I disagree with?

Yeah they should.

Good to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if you're aware of Shaykh Ali abd al-Raziq arguments for secularism and less religion in politics + govt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Abdel_Raziq

Ofc I'd love for the daily mail to stop writing on Islam, I'd also love it if media that are clearly biased towards Islam (like huffpost) stop writing these sugar-coated liberalised articles - and then hiding behind racism and bigotry when someone tries to point out Muslims don't really believe them. But i guess you need balance to make the biases cancel out. Anyway, I digress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar

e

Well it clearly is an interpretation given that he's a Muslim and believes that! And he hasn't rejected God's law, he just said that secular law takes precedence.
Well it clearly is an interpretation given that he's a Muslim and believes that! And he hasn't rejected God's law, he just said that secular law takes precedence.

Like I said, he's a layman so cannot make up his own interpretation.
Original post by chance23
Just been reading all your comments in this thread and just want to say wow you are very knowledgeable! Especially considering you are only 17/18 (I'm assuming as you said you are doing your A levels).

May I ask how you go about reading on these topics? Do you read from books or just internet in general? (Just curious for myself!)

Also if you are planning on going to uni, what are you wanting to study? (Again just interested in knowing! I could take a guess and say something politics related? But I don't want to just make that assumption lol)

Yup I'm 18.

Moved to the UK last year (from Eastern Europe, heh) and ended in a terrible school... was well on my way to oxbridge but nope; dreams had to get rekt by moving here.

And thank you; I appreciate it. I simply read a bit of stuff online ;P I follow various YT channels too, and then check their sources. I don't think books are too effective a way to expand your knowledge as they're lengthy and likely very biased. If you read news articles and cross reference their opinions/facts, you get a far better picture of the 'truth'. It is faster that way too, and you expose yourself to more views/opinions as well.

Tried to apply for Politics Philosophy and Economics to some unis but it seems like 5 months of work experience as an assistant economist and AAABBb (teachers lied to me; was supposed to be predicted A*s..) predictions aren't enough, with 4As and a C on my AS levels. Horrible disappointment, but I'll try make the best of it. 'Dream' masters would be Geopolitics and Grand Strategy, or hopefully geopolitical economics (which doesn't seem to exist).

Having shown how bitter of a person I am, how about you? Are you at uni now?
Original post by HAnwar
Like I said, he's a layman so cannot make up his own interpretation.

But the claim that a layman can't make an interpretation is in itself an interpretation. His interpretation will be that a layman can make a decision on those matters.
But the claim that a layman can't make an interpretation is in itself an interpretation. His interpretation will be that a layman can make a decision on those matters.

Google 'ulama'.
Reply 133

They say "never argue with a Wahabi"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh a fellow Syrian :h: where are you from in Syria?
Original post by AlifunArnab
الشعب يريد إسقاط النظام

:smile:

Omg! Wallah you're so funny. It's never really worked has it?
Original post by elforjg02
Actually...The war ended in october 2011 when gaddafi himself was killed...Libya was safe and the war has ended. Libya is far by most a beautiful country and nothing can stop us from visiting its kind and welcoming family there. My parents would never take us to a war zone...not even if they were given the whole world!

Im Libyan too and I agree
im also going this summer but debating on whether to go to benghazi or not depending on what the situation is like
I'm really glad to hear the account of someone who has actually lived in Libya!

Yes, I understand that he was DEFINETLY not too great a ruler at all.

However, I would think that it is undeniable that US involvement has sent Libya back in time decades. Under Gaddaffi, there was some sort of peace and stability, and while education and healthcare were not the best, we must consider how poor Libya actually was. Despite the immense wealth of the petrol industry, etc, the government still did a lot for its people as compared to other states. Although, yes, that is not an excuse, but still something to consider.

And in the way of receiving 'the best' for your kids, obviously nothing really compares with Western education as of yet at least in the way of accessibility. It is rather unfair to blame Gaddaffi's rule for not offering the best educational facilities.

Bottom line is, being able to keep your head down and have social safety nets, education and healthcare is far better than what you have in Libya now.

US involvement also saved my family from being killed in march 2011
Yes the country is in no way stable it has a very much divided population, fedaralism/tribalism/terrorism are all problems there right now on top of expected financial corruption and having a million governments that keep collapsing

my family were directly affected by gaddafis regime, he is by no means a provider of safety/wealth or stability for libya and as for healthcare libyans go to tunisia even for simple operations
Yup I'm 18.

Moved to the UK last year (from Eastern Europe, heh) and ended in a terrible school... was well on my way to oxbridge but nope; dreams had to get rekt by moving here.

And thank you; I appreciate it. I simply read a bit of stuff online ;P I follow various YT channels too, and then check their sources. I don't think books are too effective a way to expand your knowledge as they're lengthy and likely very biased. If you read news articles and cross reference their opinions/facts, you get a far better picture of the 'truth'. It is faster that way too, and you expose yourself to more views/opinions as well.

Tried to apply for Politics Philosophy and Economics to some unis but it seems like 5 months of work experience as an assistant economist and AAABBb (teachers lied to me; was supposed to be predicted A*s..) predictions aren't enough, with 4As and a C on my AS levels. Horrible disappointment, but I'll try make the best of it. 'Dream' masters would be Geopolitics and Grand Strategy, or hopefully geopolitical economics (which doesn't seem to exist).

Having shown how bitter of a person I am, how about you? Are you at uni now?

That's true, books can be biased. And yeah I try and read articles from many diff (respected) news sources and make my own opinion, I quite like RT as I feel they write about certain situations not in the British news and gives a good starting point for me to explore different topics. Atm I have a heavy workload, so going to have to put it on hold until end of exams etc.

Aaah I see, well if you do achieve the grades that you want for Oxbridge, I would recommend taking a gap year and reapplying, or even reapplying to the top unis that you would like to go to. In your gap year, you could then work and get more experience or something. I wouldn't give up, you are still so young and tbh even if you didn't get into the uni that you want, getting into a strong Russell Group uni will j be just as impressive, as long as you do well in each/most of your modules and overall degree mark, it will impress employers etc. So don't worry about that. That masters sounds really interesting (is you get to find one similar to it)! I am currently studying the GDL (graduate diploma in law), I did Biomedical Sciences at uni and decided to pursue law (quite a switch!). Good luck with it all! I hope you go for what you want!

Quick Reply