The Student Room Group

statistics 3 (edexcel) help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DylanJ42
well 2 explanations is better than one :biggrin:

yea past papers really help a lot for S3, ive only got 4 left though :cry:

are you doing FP3 also? :smartass:

ohh know what you mean cause they only do june exams so less practice :frown: but you are way ahead of me i'v only done 2 so far :colondollar:

and i decided to skip out fp3 to try and maximize my UMS don't judge me :colondollar::colondollar: promised myself id go over it before uni though :tongue:
Original post by Katiee224
ohh know what you mean cause they only do june exams so less practice :frown: but you are way ahead of me i'v only done 2 so far :colondollar:

and i decided to skip out fp3 to try and maximize my UMS don't judge me :colondollar::colondollar: promised myself id go over it before uni though :tongue:

yep its sucks :frown: FP2 and FP3 are even worse because of the whole 2009 change of spec so older papers cant even be used as proper mocks :frown: well my most recent one was 59/75 :laugh:, so maybe quantity over quality

boooo :mob: S3, FP2 and M3 im guessing? how did last years AS FM go?

oh applying for maths?
Reply 22
yep its sucks :frown: FP2 and FP3 are even worse because of the whole 2009 change of spec so older papers cant even be used as proper mocks :frown: well my most recent one was 59/75 :laugh:, so maybe quantity over quality

boooo :mob: S3, FP2 and M3 im guessing? how did last years AS FM go?

oh applying for maths?

can you not do the pre 2009 papers on physicsandmathstutors's website? I think they've been adapted to be more relevant to the new spec from looking at them:tongue:

i am still doing the papers with help from my notes not that confident yet haha :colondollar:

and well nearly right, im doing m1-2, s1-3 and d1, what modules did you pick? and think i got like 269 ums in further last year and yep have applied for maths haha :biggrin:
can you not do the pre 2009 papers on physicsandmathstutors's website? I think they've been adapted to be more relevant to the new spec from looking at them:tongue:

i am still doing the papers with help from my notes not that confident yet haha :colondollar:

and well nearly right, im doing m1-2, s1-3 and d1, what modules did you pick? and think i got like 269 ums in further last year and yep have applied for maths haha :biggrin:

oh can you? i really only stick to edexcels website, but i will check that out bc im running out of papers

not that confident? maybe you need to pick a bigger value for z :ahee: (yea ill see myself out... :getmecoat:)

oh i didnt know you could do FM without any pure (although pure is the best)

im doing FP1-FP3, S2, S3, M2. oh wow that's good UMS, well done! (im repeating 2 of my 3 AS further maths modules, so well not talk about my ums :laugh:) nice choice :cool:
Reply 24
oh can you? i really only stick to edexcels website, but i will check that out bc im running out of papers

not that confident? maybe you need to pick a bigger value for z :ahee: (yea ill see myself out... :getmecoat:)

oh i didnt know you could do FM without any pure (although pure is the best)

im doing FP1-FP3, S2, S3, M2. oh wow that's good UMS, well done! (im repeating 2 of my 3 AS further maths modules, so well not talk about my ums :laugh:) nice choice :cool:

yeah check them out, think they would help with revising fp2, i am doing fp1 and fp2 haha sorry thought you just meant what applied modules :colondollar:

hehehe i'm only on about a z value of 0.5 at the moment gotta get it up to 4 :biggrin:

should of picked d1 would be the easiest ums you ever got :colone:
yeah check them out, think they would help with revising fp2, i am doing fp1 and fp2 haha sorry thought you just meant what applied modules :colondollar:

hehehe i'm only on about a z value of 0.5 at the moment gotta get it up to 4 :biggrin:

should of picked d1 would be the easiest ums you ever got :colone:

i will, thank you for that :biggrin: oh i see well then the only module which is different is you doing D1 and me doing FP3, did you consider D2 or was D1 enough decision? ive heard bad things about those modules :curious:

with a bigger sample of past papers and a smaller deviation in scores that should be a terrific confidence interval :cool:

well I messed up FP1 and S2 so i dont think I could have got good UMS even if the mark scheme was sitting beside me last year :laugh:
Reply 26
i will, thank you for that :biggrin: oh i see well then the only module which is different is you doing D1 and me doing FP3, did you consider D2 or was D1 enough decision? ive heard bad things about those modules :curious:

with a bigger sample of past papers and a smaller deviation in scores that should be a terrific confidence interval :cool:

well I messed up FP1 and S2 so i dont think I could have got good UMS even if the mark scheme was sitting beside me last year :laugh:

I feel bad for doing D1 now instead of the superior FP3:colondollar::laugh: D1 is definitely enough glad I didn't do D2 aswell, it's so tedious and boring but atleast it's easy marks hehe

i hope so, I am still struggling with FP2 so once that is sorted I will come back to improving my S3 confidence interval :colondollar:

haha are you applying for maths aswell?
I feel bad for doing D1 now instead of the superior FP3:colondollar::laugh: D1 is definitely enough glad I didn't do D2 aswell, it's so tedious and boring but atleast it's easy marks hehe

i hope so, I am still struggling with FP2 so once that is sorted I will come back to improving my S3 confidence interval :colondollar:

haha are you applying for maths aswell?

well if we were both asked to do some bubble sorting then my FP3 knowledge would be quite inferior to your mighty D1 knowledge, so its swings and roundabouts :laugh: im sure there are schools where pupils learn C1-C4 D1+D2 for alevel maths :shot:

you maybe know this already but exam solutions guy has finished the FP2 section of his videos here , so you could see if these help. I wish FP4 existed because i hate going back to stats 3 after doing f. pure 2+3 :cry:

of course :tongue: what unis did you apply to?
Reply 28
well if we were both asked to do some bubble sorting then my FP3 knowledge would be quite inferior to your mighty D1 knowledge, so its swings and roundabouts :laugh: im sure there are schools where pupils learn C1-C4 D1+D2 for alevel maths :shot:

you maybe know this already but exam solutions guy has finished the FP2 section of his videos here , so you could see if these help. I wish FP4 existed because i hate going back to stats 3 after doing f. pure 2+3 :cry:

of course :tongue: what unis did you apply to?

my bubble sorting skills are amazing ngl :cool:

oh yeah the exam solutions guy is sooo helpful haha dunno where i'd be without him :adore:

omg can you imagine how hard fp4 would be compared to d1, like basically another subject haha :laugh:

oh good choice :^_^: i applied to exeter, notts, surrey, lancaster and sotton, where did you apply?
my bubble sorting skills are amazing ngl :cool:

oh yeah the exam solutions guy is sooo helpful haha dunno where i'd be without him :adore:

omg can you imagine how hard fp4 would be compared to d1, like basically another subject haha :laugh:

oh good choice :^_^: i applied to exeter, notts, surrey, lancaster and sotton, where did you apply?

i am really jealous, i mean i just just dont know how to arrange 12, 34, 65, 72, 19 in order :tongue:

i honestly find his videos better than the teaching i get for mechanics in school :laugh: my teacher should have just put him on the board from september tbh

i think if it was introduced a lot of people would do it just to say they done fp4, even if it was super super hard :smartass: im not sure if aqa works the same way as edexcel where they do 6 modules per maths alevel but aqa have fp4 :frown:

the best choice :tongue: ah cool :biggrin: have you decided to firm/insurance?

amm oxford (rejected so nothing exciting :cry:), bath, bristol, st andrews and queens belfast (NI student)
Reply 30
i am really jealous, i mean i just just dont know how to arrange 12, 34, 65, 72, 19 in order :tongue:

i honestly find his videos better than the teaching i get for mechanics in school :laugh:my teacher should have just put him on the board from september tbh

i think if it was introduced a lot of people would do it just to say they done fp4, even if it was super super hard :smartass: im not sure if aqa works the same way as edexcel where they do 6 modules per maths alevel but aqa have fp4 :frown:

the best choice :tongue: ah cool :biggrin: have you decided to firm/insurance?

amm oxford (rejected so nothing exciting :cry:), bath, bristol, st andrews and queens belfast (NI student)

oops forgot to check this :colondollar: i love edexcel though, its an international examboard so they can't screw people over like AQA do :laugh:

oh and i picked exeter as firm and lancaster as insurance, you're applying to really prestigious unis haha have you picked your firm and insurance yet?

oh and forget about oxford they are just stuck up :tongue:
oops forgot to check this :colondollar: i love edexcel though, its an international examboard so they can't screw people over like AQA do :laugh:

oh and i picked exeter as firm and lancaster as insurance, you're applying to really prestigious unis haha have you picked your firm and insurance yet?

oh and forget about oxford they are just stuck up :tongue:

I suppose so, I do CCEA for physics and they are even worse, the practical has the dumbest grade boundaries and the marking of it is so strict. Also sometimes in past papers when writing definitions the mark schemes say you're wrong even though I learnt the definition from the CCEA textbook, oh God they are bad :angry:

I firmed bath and didn't bother insuring anywhere bc Bristol was the same grades and none of the others interested me haha

Yea it would have been nice to get an offer but I'll live :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I suppose so, I do CCEA for physics and they are even worse, the practical has the dumbest grade boundaries and the marking of it is so strict. Also sometimes in past papers when writing definitions the mark schemes say you're wrong even though I learnt the definition from the CCEA textbook, oh God they are bad :angry:

I firmed bath and didn't bother insuring anywhere bc Bristol was the same grades and none of the others interested me haha

Yea it would have been nice to get an offer but I'll live :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never even heard of that exam board haha i dropped physics so you're doing better than me atleast :colondollar:

what grades are bath asking for? why didn't you put bristol as insurance cause if you miss your grades and bath don't take you then Bristol still might :tongue:
I never even heard of that exam board haha i dropped physics so you're doing better than me atleast :colondollar:

what grades are bath asking for? why didn't you put bristol as insurance cause if you miss your grades and bath don't take you then Bristol still might :tongue:

I think its an NI only board, and it is rubbish. I honestly dont know why my school are with them :dontknow:

A*AA or A*AB with 2 in STEP, the latter is basically the only one im considering bc im decent at maths and s**t at physics :laugh: eh if i missed bath id want to gap year anyway i suppose, i really want A*A* in M and FM.
Reply 34
I think its an NI only board, and it is rubbish. I honestly dont know why my school are with them :dontknow:

A*AA or A*AB with 2 in STEP, the latter is basically the only one im considering bc im decent at maths and s**t at physics :laugh: eh if i missed bath id want to gap year anyway i suppose, i really want A*A* in M and FM.

oh right hehe, no reason why you can't get your two a*s , how did you get on at AS with your math and further math modules? :biggrin:
oh right hehe, no reason why you can't get your two a*s , how did you get on at AS with your math and further math modules? :biggrin:

maths was pretty good ;

C1 - 98 (damn)
C2 - 100
S1 - 91 (cba repeating bc its very boring)

further maths was not as good;

FP1 - 89 (repeating)
M2 - 92 (its fine bc im not a fan of mechanics)
S2 - 80 (repeating)

hopefully ill get 90UMS+ in S2 and FP2, a good day with S3 could be 90UMS so its definitely possible

how did you get on? i remember you saying you got ~270UMS at AS, so they must be pretty good :biggrin:
Reply 36
maths was pretty good ;

C1 - 98 (damn)
C2 - 100
S1 - 91 (cba repeating bc its very boring)

further maths was not as good;

FP1 - 89 (repeating)
M2 - 92 (its fine bc im not a fan of mechanics)
S2 - 80 (repeating)

hopefully ill get 90UMS+ in S2 and FP2, a good day with S3 could be 90UMS so its definitely possible

how did you get on? i remember you saying you got ~270UMS at AS, so they must be pretty good :biggrin:

Did you mean M1? and your ums is pretty impressive :gasp: and looks like we both messed up the piss easy s2 exam :laugh: (you're edexcel right?)

maths:
c1: 77 (missed out a question:colondollar::colondollar:)
c2: 94
s1: 96

further:
m1: 95
s2: 85 (messed up question 6 as i failed to do part a correctly and subsequently couldn't do the rest and lost a tonne of marks:frown:)
fp1: 89 (snap :tongue:)
Did you mean M1? and your ums is pretty impressive :gasp: and looks like we both messed up the piss easy s2 exam :laugh: (you're edexcel right?)

maths:
c1: 77 (missed out a question:colondollar::colondollar:)
c2: 94
s1: 96

further:
m1: 95
s2: 85 (messed up question 6 as i failed to do part a correctly and subsequently couldn't do the rest and lost a tonne of marks:frown:)
fp1: 89 (snap :tongue:)

nah i done M2 with Further Maths last year and Im doing M1 this year with regular maths, weird i know.

I know I cannot believe I done so badly, it was always my best module coming up to the exams too :laugh: (i am indeed) grade boundaries were dumb though, did you ever see them?

damn, that must have sucked once you found out, dont think ive ever missed a question but I would be very annoyed
nicely done with the other two :h:

i dont even remember question 6, i messed up the very last question with the balls in a bag where they were in the ratio 1: 2 :2. i thought it meant there were 5 balls but really it was infinite( or a huge excess) so im pretty sure i straight up lost 7 marks there. :cry2:

was it the last question which got you on FP1? i completely forgot about the focus - directrix property
Reply 38
nah i done M2 with Further Maths last year and Im doing M1 this year with regular maths, weird i know.

I know I cannot believe I done so badly, it was always my best module coming up to the exams too :laugh: (i am indeed) grade boundaries were dumb though, did you ever see them?

damn, that must have sucked once you found out, dont think ive ever missed a question but I would be very annoyed
nicely done with the other two :h:

i dont even remember question 6, i messed up the very last question with the balls in a bag where they were in the ratio 1: 2 :2. i thought it meant there were 5 balls but really it was infinite( or a huge excess) so im pretty sure i straight up lost 7 marks there. :cry2:

was it the last question which got you on FP1? i completely forgot about the focus - directrix property

haha why did you not do m1 first? m2 builds on m1 does it not? :laugh:

didn't see the grade boundaries, what were they? ohh that last question was annoying, took up most of my time tediously writing out the different orders for the balls :unimpressed: oh and i'm pretty sure I messed up the coordinate geometry question yeah:laugh: beasted the matrices question though was so proud of myself :tongue:

I'v been attempting more fp2 recently and 1 and a half hours for each paper isn't enough, i keep running out of time! :ashamed2:
haha why did you not do m1 first? m2 builds on m1 does it not? :laugh:

didn't see the grade boundaries, what were they? ohh that last question was annoying, took up most of my time tediously writing out the different orders for the balls :unimpressed: oh and i'm pretty sure I messed up the coordinate geometry question yeah:laugh: beasted the matrices question though was so proud of myself :tongue:

I'v been attempting more fp2 recently and 1 and a half hours for each paper isn't enough, i keep running out of time! :ashamed2:

M2 is the module taught with AS further maths so i just done it :dontknow: in my school AS FM is taught in A2 year, they dont offer A2 further maths so its just how things worked out, still done decent though so idm :tongue:

67 for 80UMS and 71 for 90UMS :eek: i done the same except my combinations were wrong and my table was all wrong as well haha. I know i lost 5 marks on it, was that the matrices induction one? i found it quite hard

i was the same with FP3 when i started doing them, it honestly is just practice, after enough questions you wont even need to think of methods anymore, you go into auto pilot for most of the 1.5 hours haha :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest