The Student Room Group

Eddie Izzard is self-righteous and intolerable

These charity stunts are becoming more and more ridiculous and any money raised seems secondary to self-promotion. Both David Walliams and eddie Izzard and painfully smug and his self-importance is well suited to politics.

Also, running marathons as a "Tribute" to someone locked up for 27 years seems a bit inappropriate.

http://thesatedire.com/news/uk-news/izzard-to-cut-off-head-legs-and-arms-for-charity/

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Fair play to him, but some of those marathons were done at walking speed.
Eddie Izzard is amazing!
nobody is forcing you to watch mr lizard.
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
Eddie Izzard is amazing!

I am fairly certain he wholeheartedly agrees with you.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
nobody is forcing you to watch mr lizard.

The Internet is doing just that. I could, by that thinking, say no one is forcing you to reply to my thread.
Original post by Damien96
I am fairly certain he wholeheartedly agrees with you.

Good, nothing wrong with self confidence :biggrin:
Meanwhile, there's a man called Ben doing the 401 challenge where he's doing 401 marathon in as many days and a man called Mark doing 400 marathons in a year, including Lands End to Jon O'Groats and back again. Neither of whom are getting that much press attention.

Probably because neither are celebrities.
Reply 8
Original post by rockrunride
Fair play to him, but some of those marathons were done at walking speed.

I'm certainly not saying running, or walking, 27 marathons is a small achievement, just a pointless one motivated by righteousness. I suppose if you were going to put narcissism to good use it is a good thing but the man still annoys me greatly.
The Internet is doing just that. I could, by that thinking, say no one is forcing you to reply to my thread.

i use the interwebs most days and have never had to undergo Mr Gizzard.
Reply 10
Original post by Blondie987
Good, nothing wrong with self confidence :biggrin:

Self confidence yes, narcissism no.
Reply 11
i use the interwebs most days and have never had to undergo Mr Gizzard.

It is an unpleasant experience, similar to an enema but in reverse.
Some people use their celebrity status to raise lots of money for charity.

Some people sit in front of their keyboards and have a jolly good moan about it.
It is an unpleasant experience, similar to an enema but in reverse.

today's internet winner is.......

Spoiler

he wins an all areas pass to Mr Izzard's next show

:rofl:

:congrats:
Reply 14
Original post by Tiger Rag
Meanwhile, there's a man called Ben doing the 401 challenge where he's doing 401 marathon in as many days and a man called Mark doing 400 marathons in a year, including Lands End to Jon O'Groats and back again. Neither of whom are getting that much press attention.

Probably because neither are celebrities.

I don't mind him using his celebrity to raise money but this one upsmanship has little to do with charity and everything to do with smugness. He is so self-satisfied it is painful to watch.
Reply 15
Original post by Quantex
Some people use their celebrity status to raise lots of money for charity.

Some people sit in front of their keyboards and have a jolly good moan about it.

Using his celebrity to raise money is a good thing, performing David Blaine stunts to stroke your narcissism is jolly annoying.
Reply 16
today's internet winner is.......

Spoiler

he wins an all areas pass to Mr Izzard's next show

:rofl:

:congrats:

Thank you all. I want to thank my family, my manager and Jesus.
These charity stunts are becoming more and more ridiculous and any money raised seems secondary to self-promotion. Both David Walliams and eddie Izzard and painfully smug and his self-importance is well suited to politics.

Well, it's better to do the right thing for the wrong reasons than do sweet bugger all for it.

Do you think the people benefiting from the thousands of pound he's raised give a damn if a celeb got an ego boost from doing it? I doubt they care. I certainly wouldn't.

Heck, I'm not completely generous myself, I still get a warm fuzzy feeling about myself if I donate £20 to charity.

You get a warm fuzzy feeling from criticising others. Fair enough - to each their own but at least let your feeling of moral superiority benefit someone - like Eddie Izzard has.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Supersaps
Well, it's better to do the right thing for the wrong reasons than do sweet bugger all for it.

Do you think the people benefiting from the thousands of pound he's raised give a damn if a celeb got an ego boost from doinhg it? I doubt it.

Heck, I get a warm fuzzy feeling about myself if I donate £20 to charity.

You get a warm fuzzy feeling from criticising others. Fair enough - to each their own but at least let your feeling of moral superiority benefit someone - like Eddie Izzards has.

I pretty much agree with you, however, questioning the motivations of narcissists, particularly those entering politics, is important. Running 27 marathons helped no one more than if he had ran 5 and where does this all end? It's self-promotion.

I don't think it is a contradiction to criticise someone's motivations while applauding the results.
I don't think it's a contradiction either. I do think it's somewhat petty, though.

Quick Reply

Latest