Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
Original post by vobll
Thank you a lot for your response.

I am waiting for Gonville&Caius. I know that it may take some time, but do you think 1 month is "too long"?

Interesting... I heard back with an acceptance from Caius in just over 1 week (I think 6 or 7 business days)? But that was back in Mid February. Still have no funding though, and I can't go without it :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2421
Original post by aware1
I find it weird that people would apply without being able to pay for it themselves and go through the entire process hoping to get funding (which is a very low chance). Its pretty much a requirement, before applying, to have financial backing which people sound like they don't. Doesn't that detract places from the people who have applied and actually have funding?

Sent from mobile

Funding is there so that at least very few people who cannot afford to continue their studies but are good enough to get a place have a chance. I don't understand how, in any way, it can be considered as "detracting places from the people who have funding". Sounds a little bit like "back to 19th century"...
Original post by aware1
I find it weird that people would apply without being able to pay for it themselves and go through the entire process hoping to get funding (which is a very low chance). Its pretty much a requirement, before applying, to have financial backing which people sound like they don't. Doesn't that detract places from the people who have applied and actually have funding?

Students that need funding technically apply differently to those who can support themselves. The application forms can easily show who requires funding and who does not. Therefore the university would handle those cases differently. Besides, what does it matter if someone wants to go for something and take a risk? I did - as an international student they expected me to fork out nearly £40,000 a year for 3 years. I decided on a 'get funding or don't go' approach, and it paid off...literally.
Original post by aware1

But most funding comes from bodies only once they see the applicant has the academic ability ie an offer. It's far more labour intensive and complicated to offer funding to people before knowing whether they are going to be offered a place on a course. Or do you think that everyone should have the ability to pay from their own resources before they even apply for postgrad study?

Universities are very familiar with the statistics of who takes up and offer and who doesn't, and they 'over offer' places with a reasonable degree of accuracy, knowing some people will fail to find funding and so will not take up their offers. So there is no need to reduce offers to those who already have funds, versus those who still have to find funds. At Cambridge, this 'over-offer' is particularly low as there is a relatively high proportion of funding available to offer holders, compared with most other Universities.
Original post by aware1

Sent from mobile

I find it wierd people would spend such huge amounts of money when they can do it for free by exerting themselves a little. I always wonder what they put under "scholarships and awards" in their CVs, what it says about their competitive abilities.

Personally, I cannot afford to study on my own even though I have a stable job. Being international, I am not even sure I could save enough money in my youth to afford higher education abroad. Everybody comes from a different background and is facing unique circumstances. You cannot make sweeping generalizations like if you cannot afford it then you should not take chances.
Has anyone here written a research essay (topics involving politics and money), using the software STATA? If so, I am in much need of your help. :frown:
I have my interview for my MPhil next month, so had a couple of questions:

Typically for university interviews I've always dressed smart casual, i.e. smartish jeans, shirt and tweed jacket or something similar, I assume this is equally acceptable at Cambridge?

For most people is the interview a kind of formality to get to know you, or a serious part of the assessment, because my letter says it will be 20 minutes long, which doesn't seem like long for them to make an especially thorough assessment?
Original post by aware1
By detracting I meant that they would compare applications, both against someone who (they may not have known had funding) with another who explicitly stated they do. Then make offers based on those. Though as stated below, I guess thats when 'over offering' is likely to occur.

Academic decisions to make an offer are made on academic grounds, not financial.
Original post by threeportdrift
Academic decisions to make an offer are made on academic grounds, not financial.

This.
Just checked Camsis. "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies"

:bl:

This is for Part III pure maths.

If anyone is interested, my timeline so far is:
Application submitted: jan 28
Last reference uploaded: feb 08
Degree Committee: mar 09
BoGS: mar 21
Anybody received offer/rejection for MPhil in Early Modern History? Been stuck at 'Under Consideration by Degree Committee' for about a month and a half.
Reply 2431
Original post by aware1

Sent from mobile

I genuinely think the quality of the academic environment would suffer if only people with heaps of money were let in. My dad is a world renowned environmental scientist who literally was lucky to have one meal a day during his first 20 years and got his first job at age 4 selling things in the street. My dad is still in academia and I'm an international student (so about 110,000 pounds for a PhD) - definitely can't afford that. I hope I'd just "not apply" because I'm not dripping in cash. And by only letting in people "with money" - you're going to lose out on some hella good people and settle with a lower tier of academic quality.
Original post by gtx85
I genuinely think the quality of the academic environment would suffer if only people with heaps of money were let in. My dad is a world renowned environmental scientist who literally was lucky to have one meal a day during his first 20 years and got his first job at age 4 selling things in the street. My dad is still in academia and I'm an international student (so about 110,000 pounds for a PhD) - definitely can't afford that. I hope I'd just "not apply" because I'm not dripping in cash. And by only letting in people "with money" - you're going to lose out on some hella good people and settle with a lower tier of academic quality.

Precisely. My undergraduate course was filled with students whose parents were affluent or at least came from such backgrounds. My department was regularly criticised for this by other students, and for suggesting that it only let students in who had money. After having worked in admissions in my final year, I actually found that it was simply that this type of student was attracted to this type of course. Point being that there is an important difference between perception and reality.
Reply 2433
Got my offer for the PhD in Law (not exactly but status on CAMSIS changed to "awaiting decision by BOGS"). It took forever, had my interview over a month ago. Do you know if funding has been given out for PhD Law students? AHRC and other scholarships?

Many thanks
I've got an offer for downing :smile: does anyone know much about the college?
No first-hand contact, but it is (a) rather classical-looking, (b) known to harbor many lawyers, and (c) within a tolerable walking distance to the train.
Original post by ready
Got my offer for the PhD in Law (not exactly but status on CAMSIS changed to "awaiting decision by BOGS":wink:. It took forever, had my interview over a month ago. Do you know if funding has been given out for PhD Law students? AHRC and other scholarships?

Many thanks

PhD in Law as well, and received nothing so far (but I fear I won't get anything, as I messed uo my application).

Besides, the "Scholarship awarded" webpage shows nothing for Law PhD. Hopes remain. https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholars/awards/
Reply 2437
Original post by YouplaBoum
PhD in Law as well, and received nothing so far (but I fear I won't get anything, as I messed uo my application).

Besides, the "Scholarship awarded" webpage shows nothing for Law PhD. Hopes remain. https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholars/awards/

Good to know that there haven't been any news in relation to funding. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. Do you remember approximately how long it took to get from BOGS to college membership?

Many thanks
Reply 2438
Guys,

Im still waiting for the approval of the BoGs, even though I got an email that I have an offer. Anyone in the same situation? Im so fed up with waiting..
Original post by ready
Good to know that there haven't been any news in relation to funding. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. Do you remember approximately how long it took to get from BOGS to college membership?

Many thanks

Yes: I saw the BOGS thing on a Friday, and the next Tuesday the offer was confirmed. Then it took another two weeks to get my first College choice (Corpus Christi) confirmed.

I am curious, but did you have any kind of interview for scholarships?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending