The Student Room Group

Studying physics - engineering or related subjects

I'm not sure if my subjects are related . I'm doing maths ft maths and physics do I have a chance into any uni with the right grades . Is it fine I'm only doing 3 AS S? Will that out me at a disadvantage compared to others with 4 as?

Scroll to see replies

They're pretty spot on for engineering. Most ask for maths and a science.
Reply 2
Original post by looktoyourright
I'm not sure if my subjects are related . I'm doing maths ft maths and physics do I have a chance into any uni with the right grades . Is it fine I'm only doing 3 AS S? Will that out me at a disadvantage compared to others with 4 as?

Perfect for Physics, Maths, Engineering!
Original post by DonkeyShlong
They're pretty spot on for engineering. Most ask for maths and a science.

There's a 4th subject I'm doing but I'm pretty bad at it . Bad as in BAD . I'm pretty sure I won't pass it . If I'm lucky I'll get D or E. I hate revising for it and rather would revise maths or physics. I'm thinking of dropping it so close to the exams , btw it's a science . Any advice. UMS marks ar from
There's a 4th subject I'm doing but I'm pretty bad at it . Bad as in BAD . I'm pretty sure I won't pass it . If I'm lucky I'll get D or E. I hate revising for it and rather would revise maths or physics. I'm thinking of dropping it so close to the exams , btw it's a science . Any advice. UMS marks ar from

I'd guess AAAD looks weird on a CV (my GCSE German grade certainly sticks out, to the point I don't mention it)

It depends what your aims are. In terms of employment it won't make a lot of difference, more so I'd guess with university applications, but even then probably won't be detrimental to getting in.
I'd guess AAAD looks weird on a CV (my GCSE German grade certainly sticks out, to the point I don't mention it)

It depends what your aims are. In terms of employment it won't make a lot of difference, more so I'd guess with university applications, but even then probably won't be detrimental to getting in.

So I would still have a chance in best uni I'm looking either a career with maths or physics subjects relating to it
So I would still have a chance in best uni I'm looking either a career with maths or physics subjects relating to it

If you're applying for maths, and have an A(*) in maths and further maths, I don't think they'll be too bothered about you dropping, say, chemistry to make sure your maths grades were up there.
If you're applying for maths, and have an A(*) in maths and further maths, I don't think they'll be too bothered about you dropping, say, chemistry to make sure your maths grades were up there.

I'm thinking something along the lines of comp sci or engineering . So if chem is not involved in it it should be fine right? So Manchester Durham Warwick will be fine with that ??👍👍👍
I'm thinking something along the lines of comp sci or engineering . So if chem is not involved in it it should be fine right? So Manchester Durham Warwick will be fine with that ??👍👍👍

Pretty much

i got an offer from a top uni for enginnering without chem and same subs as u
Original post by Duke Glacia

Sorry for asking but what grades did you get?
Pretty much

Thanks a lot😂 I'll drop it tomorrow

A*A*A*
A*A*A*

At as I'm guessing AAA?
I think I will get ABB? At as , at least that's what I'm aiming for . It does look better than ABBU or ABBD/E right?
At as I'm guessing AAA?
I think I will get ABB? At as , at least that's what I'm aiming for . It does look better than ABBU or ABBD/E right?

Aim for AAA. Even if you think you will only get ABB, aim for AAA.
At as I'm guessing AAA?

no thats my a2 grades. Which uni are u planning to go (first choice)?
no thats my a2 grades. Which uni are u planning to go (first choice)?

If I get AAA which I'm motivated to do now . I will beg my teachers to put my predicted grades high so I have a chance to apply Cambridge. Then probs Manchester Durham Nottingham . Not sure
Original post by NamelessPersona
Aim for AAA. Even if you think you will only get ABB, aim for AAA.

Thanks a lot for the motivation. The grade boundaries are slim anyway
If I get AAA which I'm motivated to do now . I will beg my teachers to put my predicted grades high so I have a chance to apply Cambridge. Then probs Manchester Durham Nottingham . Not sure

@jneill this lad needs some advice
@jneill this lad needs some advice

Thanks a lot for your help

Quick Reply

Latest