The Student Room Group

Chemistry

Predict, with a reason in each case, whether or not vanadium(IV) chloride would react with hexane or with ethanol.
Prediction for hexane ................................ ................................ .......................
Reason ................................ ................................ ................................ ..............
Prediction for ethanol ................................ ................................ .......................
Reason ................................ ................................ ................................ ..............
Reply 1
What have you done so far?
Reply 2
Simple google search:

You need the E electrode values to work this out. Work out which is the positive electrode/negative electrode

Ecell=E(positive) -E(negative)

If the value of Ecell is above 0.4, the reaction is likely to occur.
Reply 3
Original post by m_james
Simple google search:

You need the E electrode values to work this out. Work out which is the positive electrode/negative electrode

Ecell=E(positive) -E(negative)

If the value of Ecell is above 0.4, the reaction is likely to occur.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

I copied what another user posted on a previous TSR thread for the same question.

Haha. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by m_james
I copied what another user posted on a previous TSR thread for the same question.

Haha. :smile:

Yeah, there's no such thing as a hexane electrode. And there's also a far simpler way of making the predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest