The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nase14_aldayz
Let's be fair your defence is weak and Klopp is doing very well to string results together with this team. I'd expect the overhaul during the summer to start with your backline.

Lovren was injured
It was one bad game tbh. It's much more frustrating because we were 2-0 ahead, although in fairness Soton were a threat throughout, even in the first half when they failed to score.

We've been on a great run lately, and the fact that just this single loss seems to throw us out of the running for top 4 shows just how far behind Klopp has had to come from just to get this far.

As things stand, we really should be hoping that West Ham/United win the FA Cup because it would make the fight for EL places so much easier. The real issue we have is Chelsea. We're 3 points ahead with a game in hand but we still need to play them.

Spurs are up next and I think we have enough to beat them. Similarly to when we play City, we always play well in this fixture. We only lost a single game today but getting back to winning ways instantly is important. It doesn't help that we have an International break to dwell on this...
Original post by Ella_10
Lovren was injured

Nope, Klopp said he replaced him because he had a yellow. Which is ridiculous imo. I'd rather have had 10 men than put Skrtel on. Apparently he was **** for the U21s the other day.

Also why not put Toure on who was available or even put Caulker on the bench?
Klopp such a dickhead for his actions involving Bentekesaurus after the match
Original post by Ella_10
Lovren was injured

I'm talking about the bigger picture, not one game.
Original post by Zerforax
Really? I'd build my midfield with Henderson rather than Can at the moment.

This the former's injury - and the nature of it, with it being re-occurring - may have forced Klopp's thinking.
Original post by Mackay
This the former's injury - and the nature of it, with it being re-occurring - may have forced Klopp's thinking.

Yea I suppose that's right. We can't really wait on one player to see if he can get 100% fit (same mistake as we did for Sturridge).

Tbh Henderson being our first change in that midfield isn't a bad one to have. Can't see any clubs coming in for him.

I can't see Benteke or Skrtel playing again for us this season?
Original post by LFC_fan_321
Nope, Klopp said he replaced him because he had a yellow. Which is ridiculous imo. I'd rather have had 10 men than put Skrtel on. Apparently he was **** for the U21s the other day.

Also why not put Toure on who was available or even put Caulker on the bench?

Because Skrtel has been first choice CB for a long time and was before he got injured.

Mane destroyed us with his pace - how was Toure (aged 35) going to fare any better? Caulker obviously isn't good enough since he couldn't get game time even when we were down to 1 fit CB..
hello i'm Fan Liverpool FC and Jürgen Klopp
Yea I suppose that's right. We can't really wait on one player to see if he can get 100% fit (same mistake as we did for Sturridge).

Tbh Henderson being our first change in that midfield isn't a bad one to have. Can't see any clubs coming in for him.

I can't see Benteke or Skrtel playing again for us this season?

Benteke will - but Skrtel genuinely shouldn't. Let's just bomb him out now. I'd rather Sakho, Lovren, Toure, Caulker, Ilori, Lucas...
Original post by Mackay
Benteke will - but Skrtel genuinely shouldn't. Let's just bomb him out now. I'd rather Sakho, Lovren, Toure, Caulker, Ilori, Lucas...

Maybe while Firmino is injured but once fit you expect him and Sturridge to start and then Origi as the bench option?

I think there's going to be a ruthless cull this summer.

I think there's going to be a ruthless cull this summer.

Wouldn't mind. Last week, I said I wanted to retain Skrtel to become the Kolo Toure-figure. **** that.

Joe Allen and Kolo will leave, as will Enrique. I want Skrtel and Mignolet gone, too. I wouldn't be in tears if any of Moreno, Benteke, or Lucas left either.

The latter would be sad, to be honest, but I feel he probably deserves - at his age - to be playing every week.
Original post by Mackay
Wouldn't mind. Last week, I said I wanted to retain Skrtel to become the Kolo Toure-figure. **** that.

Joe Allen and Kolo will leave, as will Enrique. I want Skrtel and Mignolet gone, too. I wouldn't be in tears if any of Moreno, Benteke, or Lucas left either.

The latter would be sad, to be honest, but I feel he probably deserves - at his age - to be playing every week.

I think everyone will be fuming that Mignolet will still be here after the summer. I'd be happy keeping Moreno and Lucas as squad players but shouldn't be near our first XI. Not sure how I feel about Allen but we do need a new CM.

Shame really because Klopp spoke about how he didn't want to change too much but once again we seem to need an overhaul.
Leads thrown away by us in 2015/16:

Liverpool 1-1 Norwich 20th September
Everton 1-1 Liverpool 4th October
Liverpool 1-1 Southampton 25th October
Liverpool 2-2 West Brom 13th December
Liverpool 3-3 Arsenal 13th January
Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland 6th February
Southampton 3-2 Liverpool 20th March

Just the 15 points. Top work.
Original post by Mackay
Leads thrown away by us in 2015/16:

Liverpool 1-1 Norwich 20th September
Everton 1-1 Liverpool 4th October
Liverpool 1-1 Southampton 25th October
Liverpool 2-2 West Brom 13th December
Liverpool 3-3 Arsenal 13th January
Liverpool 2-2 Sunderland 6th February
Southampton 3-2 Liverpool 20th March

Just the 15 points. Top work.

Throwing away a 1 goal lead isn't the end of the world but it's losing a 2 goal lead that pisses me off the most.

Losing yesterday was indefensible. I didn't even care to watch the post match interview, I just turned it off in rage.

And United won.
Original post by Lúcio
It was one bad game tbh. It's much more frustrating because we were 2-0 ahead, although in fairness Soton were a threat throughout, even in the first half when they failed to score.

We've been on a great run lately, and the fact that just this single loss seems to throw us out of the running for top 4 shows just how far behind Klopp has had to come from just to get this far.

As things stand, we really should be hoping that West Ham/United win the FA Cup because it would make the fight for EL places so much easier. The real issue we have is Chelsea. We're 3 points ahead with a game in hand but we still need to play them.

Spurs are up next and I think we have enough to beat them. Similarly to when we play City, we always play well in this fixture. We only lost a single game today but getting back to winning ways instantly is important. It doesn't help that we have an International break to dwell on this...

FA Cup finalist gets the EL spot if the winner has already qualified. Which means one of Crystal Palace or Watford will get that spot.

EDIT: or have the rules changed recently?
(edited 8 years ago)
FA Cup finalist gets the EL spot if the winner has already qualified. Which means one of Crystal Palace or Watford will get that spot.

EDIT: or have the rules changed recently?

I asked about this on another thread and I think the rules have changed.
Wonder if Benteke is being sold end of the season and whether anybody will take Balotelli?
Original post by Lúcio
I asked about this on another thread and I think the rules have changed.

Hmm wiki says:

"From the 2015–16 UEFA Europa League season, however, UEFA will not allow the runners-up to qualify for the Europa League through the competition"

Ugh I guess we are rooting for West Ham/Man Utd to win the FA cup then (assuming we finish 7th).

Otherwise I guess Watford to win..?
Original post by Lúcio
Throwing away a 1 goal lead isn't the end of the world but it's losing a 2 goal lead that pisses me off the most.

Losing yesterday was indefensible. I didn't even care to watch the post match interview, I just turned it off in rage.

And United won.

But those one goal leads - especially at home - add up. Time and time again, it was courtesy of our inability to defend set pieces.

Latest