The Student Room Group

Fourier Series Help!

Hi all

I've got a question on Fourier series, I know the answer i should be getting, however i'm getting the opposite sign. I've checked my work and just cant see where i have gone wrong, please help. Ill put my working below.
If someone could inform me why im getting 12/(pi)(n) instead of -12/(pi)(n), i would be very grateful

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Ramjam
Hi all

I've got a question on Fourier series, I know the answer i should be getting, however i'm getting the opposite sign. I've checked my work and just cant see where i have gone wrong, please help. Ill put my working below.
If someone could inform me why im getting 12/(pi)(n) instead of -12/(pi)(n), i would be very grateful

Thanks in advance

I'm a little puzzled as to where you got your expression for bnb_n. . .
Should it not be bn=1πππf(t)sin(nt) dtb_n=\dfrac{1}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt?
With this expression the result you want follows.

Edit: Also what is ω\omega here? You've written it in some places, and not others. . .
An image of the question itself might be useful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
I'm a little puzzled as to where you got your expression for bnb_n. . .
Should it not be bn=1πππf(t)sin(nt) dtb_n=\dfrac{1}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt?
With this expression the result you want follows.

Edit: Also what is ω\omega here? You've written it in some places, and not others. . .
An image of the question itself might be useful.

It came from 'Modern Engineering Mathematics by Glyn James', it states that i can use that formula specifically for odd function. However I will work through using the original formula for bn and see what answer I achieve.

The question is on the working, in black pen, it is to find the fourier series of f (t) = 3 (-pi < t < 0) -3 (0 < t < pi
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ramjam
It came from 'Modern Engineering Mathematics by Glyn James', it states that i can use that formula specifically for odd function. However I will work through using the original formula for bn and see what answer I achieve.

The question is on the working, in black pen, it is to find the fourier series of f (t) = 3 (-pi < t < 0) -3 (0 < t < pi

I can't say I've seen that formula before, so I can't comment as to what's gone on there.
All I can see is that for an odd function ff on [π,π][-\pi,\pi] one can rewrite: bn=2π0πf(t)sin(nt) dtb_n=\dfrac{2}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt.

Yeah, I figured that was the question, but then I don't see what ω\omega has to do with anything.
Reply 4
Original post by joostan
I can't say I've seen that formula before, so I can't comment as to what's gone on there.
All I can see is that for an odd function ff on [π,π][-\pi,\pi] one can rewrite: bn=2π0πf(t)sin(nt) dtb_n=\dfrac{2}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt.

Yeah, I figured that was the question, but then I don't see what ω\omega has to do with anything.

The ω\omega issue is just me making mistakes again (sorry)

I've reworked the question and reached a point in which i'm unsure on where to go from here. Whats do i have to do next? The point at which you assign odd and even values of n, although sounds simple always confuses me.
Reply 5
Original post by Ramjam
The ω\omega issue is just me making mistakes again (sorry)

I've reworked the question and reached a point in which i'm unsure on where to go from here. Whats do i have to do next? The point at which you assign odd and even values of n, although sounds simple always confuses me.

There seems to be a mistake prior to that: f(t)f(t) changes sign in the interval, so you'll want to write:
ππf(t)sin(nt) dt=π0f(t)sin(nt) dt+0πf(t)sin(nt) dt\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt = \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt .
Reply 6
Original post by joostan
There seems to be a mistake prior to that: f(t)f(t) changes sign in the interval, so you'll want to write:
ππf(t)sin(nt) dt=π0f(t)sin(nt) dt+0πf(t)sin(nt) dt\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt = \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt .

Whats happens after that? do you integrate between limits separately for both of those?
Reply 7
Original post by Ramjam
Whats happens after that? do you integrate between limits separately for both of those?

You could do that, or you could send ttt \mapsto -t in either integral to obtain a single integral, it doesn't really matter.
Reply 8
Original post by joostan
You could do that, or you could send ttt \mapsto -t in either integral to obtain a single integral, it doesn't really matter.

Well i'm getting no where quick, i just cant seem to get my head around this question, i must be making mistakes somewhere as it keeps going completly wrong
Reply 9
Original post by Ramjam
Well i'm getting no where quick, i just cant seem to get my head around this question, i must be making mistakes somewhere as it keeps going completly wrong

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by joostan

Spoiler

from here would you integrate them to get it in terms of cos?
Original post by Ramjam
from here would you integrate them to get it in terms of cos?

Well I actually used the fact that sin(nt)\sin(nt) is odd to writeπ03sin(nt) dt=0π3sin(nt) dt\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} 3\sin(nt) \ dt=-\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} 3\sin(nt) \ dt.
But you could just as well integrate now.
Hint: bn=2π0πf(t)sin(nt) dt=6π0πsin(nt) dt\displaystyle b_n=\frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} f(t)\sin (nt)~dt=-\frac{6}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin (nt)~dt (Since the integrand is an even function.)

Then note cos(nπ)=(1)n\displaystyle \cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n to tidy up your answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poorform
Hint: bn=2π0πf(t)sin(nt) dt=6π0πsin(nt) dt\displaystyle b_n=\frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} f(t)\sin (nt)~dt=\frac{6}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin (nt)~dt (Since the integrand is an even function.)

Then note cos(nπ)=(1)n\displaystyle \cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n to tidy up your answer.

You dropped a minus in your expression for bnb_n.
Original post by joostan
You dropped a minus in your expression for bnb_n.

Will update now thanks!

I (wrongly) assumed that f(t) was positive for positive t and negative for negative t.

Since I did a very similar question the other day that was defined that way haaaaa.

Quick Reply

Latest