The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

@puddleduck I dont think we are allowed to mention the themes for the essays (remember hearing it when they were reading things through before the exam), so just delete them. How did you find sec 1 and 3?
Original post by NafNaf39
@puddleduck I dont think we are allowed to mention the themes for the essays (remember hearing it when they were reading things through before the exam), so just delete them. How did you find sec 1 and 3?

Thanks! Last year everyone was posting loads of questions on here, but better safe than sorry!

1 was bloody difficult, and it was all I could do to just work through section 3 as logically as possible... didn't finish in time so had to totally guess 10 answers :/
Original post by puddleduck
Thanks! Last year everyone was posting loads of questions on here, but better safe than sorry!

1 was bloody difficult, and it was all I could do to just work through section 3 as logically as possible... didn't finish in time so had to totally guess 10 answers :/

Yeah I saw that too, which is why this year I paid extra attention to see if we could or not :smile:

Oh god I literally had lost the will to live by the end of sec 3, was just sat there with a numb brain :'( Dread to even think of May...and the money wasted :'(
Original post by NafNaf39
Yeah I saw that too, which is why this year I paid extra attention to see if we could or not :smile:

Oh god I literally had lost the will to live by the end of sec 3, was just sat there with a numb brain :'( Dread to even think of May...and the money wasted :'(

Oh my goodness I worked until the end.... can't even remember any of the questions :O At least it's all distributed so the scores of a harder test will be comparable to other ones, so we're not entirely screwed just yet! It's one of those tests where you find it evil but can't tell how well you've done, so we'll just have to wait and see! Results out "mid to late May"-- I reckon that means from 26th to the 30th :P
Qs I remember:

Alkanes melting points
Toxic/Flammable triangle
Amino acids/codons
Amino acids charges
Stupid tidal/breathing rate diagram
Conjugated bonds
Chromosomes/crossing over
Genetics/allele
Perfume
How do you revise for the GAMSAT? Are there special books and courses like there are for the UKCAT?
Original post by Es0phagus
Qs I remember:

Alkanes melting points
Toxic/Flammable triangle
Amino acids/codons
Amino acids charges
Conjugated bonds
Genetics/allele
Perfume

omg the flashbacks

Oh lord and there was this stupid question about a bloody fish and 2 gates hahaha

You could get the Gold Standard book but I found it rubbish. I used the Advanced Science series from Collins for Physics. Campbell for Biology. Blackman for Chemistry. And then I did some practice papers and used that to review my weaker areas.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Griffiths book is useful, and the MCAT science resources are pretty good.
Original post by Es0phagus
Qs I remember:

Alkanes melting points
Toxic/Flammable triangle
Amino acids/codons
Amino acids charges
Conjugated bonds
Genetics/allele
Perfume

Oh my goodness, I don't remember the alkanes melting points thing AT ALL! (Maybe I skipped that one...) But all those others... ughhhhhh
Griffiths (book) is a great start.

Section 1: prep by reading lots of good writing eg 20th century essays

Section 2: practice writing essays in the allocated time. Your reading for section 1 will help your essay content.

Section 3: get organic chemistry, physical chemistry, a level physics and biology understanding. Get confident reading graphs. Practice your maths.

There are courses run by PrepGenie, GradMed and others but they're questionable in terms of value for money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
haha I struggled for time on section 3, had to guess about 20Qs, if i was lucky I could skim the passage and some questions and attempt a rough guess but yeah, first time doing a full exam (only did section 1 two days before the exam under timed conditions) so timing is something to work on. I unfortunately didn't have much time to study but felt this exam wasn't too bad partly cause I have no knowledge at all. Maybe its just GAMSAT Ireland? But it felt more reading, interpretation and problem solving rather than pure knowledge. Quite a lot of biology and physics questions, didn't feel there was too many chem Qs and they seemed a wee bit similar? But who knows I haven't done proper chem in years with my anat phys degree >.<

Section 2 was a nightmare! The standard pros and cons argument really ruined me in part A because I could barely come up with a plausible con for that one haha and part B I felt like I was just rambling. Section 1 I can't really remember, felt some of the cartoons weren't great imo, and some passages were so text heavy it really just demoralized me after reading several of them. Same for section 3, kept my timing good for first half of it then second half I collapsed, far too much reading shut my brain off, it was like sludge! Didn't help I couldn't sleep properly and had to commute just outside of London :O

Not sure what to recommend tbh, practice reading quick would be very helpful, I'm no good with essays but having experience in planning essays quickly and structuring them in your head would be a good start since your so limited in time! Having a plan to stick to would make things more efficient! Section 3 well learning formulas and basic maths principles eg. log rules is a must.
Remembered some more Qs:

Dominate/subordinate
Dilution
Mass Spectro
Diet question
Cell Cycle
Atoms amount
Original post by Captain127
eg. log rules is a must.

You didn't need log rules- the rules were in the question x
When you say Alkane boiling points, what do you mean? Do you mean remembering the principle of it (ie boiling point increases as the carbon chain length increases) or remembering actual values, such as the boiling point of propane etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain127
haha I struggled for time on section 3, had to guess about 20Qs, if i was lucky I could skim the passage and some questions and attempt a rough guess but yeah, first time doing a full exam (only did section 1 two days before the exam under timed conditions) so timing is something to work on. I unfortunately didn't have much time to study but felt this exam wasn't too bad partly cause I have no knowledge at all. Maybe its just GAMSAT Ireland? But it felt more reading, interpretation and problem solving rather than pure knowledge. Quite a lot of biology and physics questions, didn't feel there was too many chem Qs and they seemed a wee bit similar? But who knows I haven't done proper chem in years with my anat phys degree >.<

Section 2 was a nightmare! The standard pros and cons argument really ruined me in part A because I could barely come up with a plausible con for that one haha and part B I felt like I was just rambling. Section 1 I can't really remember, felt some of the cartoons weren't great imo, and some passages were so text heavy it really just demoralized me after reading several of them. Same for section 3, kept my timing good for first half of it then second half I collapsed, far too much reading shut my brain off, it was like sludge! Didn't help I couldn't sleep properly and had to commute just outside of London :O

Not sure what to recommend tbh, practice reading quick would be very helpful, I'm no good with essays but having experience in planning essays quickly and structuring them in your head would be a good start since your so limited in time! Having a plan to stick to would make things more efficient! Section 3 well learning formulas and basic maths principles eg. log rules is a must.

Thought I was the only one suffering from pregamsat insomnia, I even took nightnurse, following my doctors advise, that made things worse, I was sick at 1 am in my 4* hotel room. Smh
But I kept my cool nevertheless,
My bad, first doing this so I'm not a reliable source of information. Only a few log rules, good to know em anyways. Yeah I don't know why I woke up every hour/half hour and I have a bad stomach past week so that didn't help! Had to take painkillers just before the essays, got me through until lunch thankfully!
Original post by Themightylaa
When you say Alkane boiling points, what do you mean? Do you mean remembering the principle of it (ie boiling point increases as the carbon chain length increases) or remembering actual values, such as the boiling point of propane etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trends in boiling points as oppose to actual boiling points for specific compounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 297
Original post by Natha_Lite
I did both this year. It's definitely tough but doable if you plan your time carefully.

Hi Natha_Lite,

How much time did you allocate to UKCAT compared to GAMSAT roughly?
I have a lot going on this year - part time masters, full time work as a clinical scientist, summer uni exams and additional part time work. Not sure if it would be wise to do both the exams this year. I did the GAMSAT last year so I know what that exam is like and the effort I need to put into it but I have no idea how much effort is needed to score a 700 in the UKCAT. Thanks
Original post by kalp
Hi Natha_Lite,

How much time did you allocate to UKCAT compared to GAMSAT roughly?
I have a lot going on this year - part time masters, full time work as a clinical scientist, summer uni exams and additional part time work. Not sure if it would be wise to do both the exams this year. I did the GAMSAT last year so I know what that exam is like and the effort I need to put into it but I have no idea how much effort is needed to score a 700 in the UKCAT. Thanks

I've done both (not in the same year!) and I found that revising for the UKCAT is pretty difficult- all you can really do is go through practice questions. The verbal reasoning section of UKCAT is similar to GAMSAT section 1, so you can double up revision there. I don't think it's impossible to do both in the same year at all, especially if you book your UKCAT for earlier in the year so that you can focus on GAMSAT afterwards :biggrin:
Reply 299
Original post by puddleduck
I've done both (not in the same year!) and I found that revising for the UKCAT is pretty difficult- all you can really do is go through practice questions. The verbal reasoning section of UKCAT is similar to GAMSAT section 1, so you can double up revision there. I don't think it's impossible to do both in the same year at all, especially if you book your UKCAT for earlier in the year so that you can focus on GAMSAT afterwards :biggrin:

Thanks puddleduck.
Yeah , I was thinking of doing it soon after my May exams (I'll take 2 weeks off for it) and keep working on GAMSAT in the mean time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending