The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainzistheword
Sure I will take a look now :smile:

Thanks - I am still wasting too much time though, so I will have to improve a bit yet :smile:

Yes you are quite right - it is basically where you work as hard as you can for 20 minutes with no distractions and then take a break, and repeat it all again. I find it a great way to revise but it is not good for preparing you for the exams where you will be sat for hours at a time :smile:

I'm not 100% sure but I would say it might get her a high B or low A if she is really lucky. The best thing for them to do is redo a piece if she really wants the A :smile:

Well done on your A* :biggrin:

Thanks. Is the high B or low A excluding her usual A stars in the exams which equates to 40 percent of the course?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Thanks. Is the high B or low A excluding her usually A stars in the exams which equates to 40 percent of the course?

Oh. So this is what she would get from her current grades. However, if she does one again and gains an A star would this push her into a high A. Then the exams would push her into an A star I guess. Thanks.
Thanks. Is the high B or low A excluding her usually A stars in the exams which equates to 40 percent of the course?

I think the Speaking and Writing equate to 30% each so they are quite important.Its is best if your friend can repeat the speaking because it is going to drag the grade down. Usually the Teachers have a tracker which monitors roughly what grade you will get in total.
Original post by ibte10
I think the Speaking and Writing equate to 30% each so they are quite important.Its is best if your friend can repeat the speaking because it is going to drag the grade down. Usually the Teachers have a tracker which monitors roughly what grade you will get in total.

The teacher is only allowing her to redo one so she will eventually end up with:

A star 15 percent
A star 15 percent
High A ( 1 mark off an A star ) 15 percent
Low C 15 per cent.

What kind of grade do you think she will end up with for the coursework ?
The teacher is only allowing her to redo one so she will eventually end up with:

A star 15 percent
A star 15 percent
High A ( 1 mark off an A star ) 15 percent
Low C 15 per cent.

What kind of grade do you think she will end up with for the coursework ?

She usually gets an A star for the listening and reading which equates to 40 per cent. The low C shouldn't really make a lot of difference in her getting an A star overall as a subject?Or will it ? She keeps on messaging me to find out so if you could let me know ASAP. I would really appreciate it. She's really stressed.
I'm aware that subjects like English have really low grade boundaries in terms of coursework. An A star is 63 out of 80 for the total coursework added up!! So the grade boundaries of French can't really be that high. I mean come on its another bleeding language.
Thanks. Is the high B or low A excluding her usual A stars in the exams which equates to 40 percent of the course?

Yeah the B/A thing is just for the coursework so her A* in the exams should secure her an A :smile:
She usually gets an A star for the listening and reading which equates to 40 per cent. The low C shouldn't really make a lot of difference in her getting an A star overall as a subject?Or will it ? She keeps on messaging me to find out so if you could let me know ASAP. I would really appreciate it. She's really stressed.

The C would bring her grade down and may hinder her chances of an A so she should really try and redo a piece
hey sorry, did you read what I sent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm aware that subjects like English have really low grade boundaries in terms of coursework. An A star is 63 out of 80 for the total coursework added up!! So the grade boundaries of French can't really be that high. I mean come on its another bleeding language.

Our class for English got told we needed 90% in coursework for an A* which is 90/100 just for Language - but I don't know if they are lying to us.

The grade boundaries change each year depending on overall results from the whole country
The C would bring her grade down and may hinder her chances of an A so she should really try and redo a piece

So if she does redo a speaking and then gets 2 A stars, 1 really high A and 1 low C. Should would get an A ? Yeah. Again, this is her not me. She's just so scared of ending up with a B and wants to be sure.
Our class for English got told we needed 90% in coursework for an A* which is 90/100 just for Language - but I don't know if they are lying to us.

The grade boundaries change each year depending on overall results from the whole country

I think it depends on the examining board. We do AQA. So I got 78/80. That's an A star. I only need to get 53/80 in the language exam to get an A star for English Language.

sorry, you probably have a lot on your plate right now aha X

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if she does redo a speaking and then gets 2 A stars, 1 really high A and 1 low C. Should would get an A ? Yeah. Again, this is her not me. She's just so scared of ending up with a B and wants to be sure.

Can she not retake the one she got a C in? That would definitely seecure her the grade
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
sorry, you probably have a lot on your plate right now aha X

Posted from TSR Mobile

soz it went weird I was gonna add stuff. yeah they do that at my school to. but if you work it out you don't need 90% for an A star

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends on the examining board. We do AQA. So I got 78/80. That's an A star. I only need to get 53/80 in the language exam to get an A star for English Language.

Ah fair enough, I'm on WJEC and I think they are quite strict :smile:
Anyone want to be my computer science study buddy hahaha?
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
soz it went weird I was gonna add stuff. yeah they do that at my school to. but if you work it out you don't need 90% for an A star

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but I suppose coursework is sort of that benchmark that lets people gain as many marks so they can relieve the presure for the exams
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Anyone want to be my computer science study buddy hahaha?

Heya believe me if I did computer science I would happily offer, but I wouldn't have a clue about it so I can't help :smile: Sorry - I'm sure someone on here will offer though :biggrin:

Good luck
True, but I suppose coursework is sort of that benchmark that lets people gain as many marks so they can relieve the presure for the exams

yeah your are right :smile: thank you for my comments on what I sent you, when is your first GCSE exam btw? X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending