The Student Room Group

English coursework help

Could someone please help me with my coursework!?
What is it you have to write about? And are you writing to inform or describe etc
Reply 2
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
What is it you have to write about? And are you writing to inform or describe etc

I have wrote a letter to a headteacher on why we shouldnt abolish school uniform but I need help in making it an A grade standard. could you help pls?
Original post by honeydr
I have wrote a letter to a headteacher on why we shouldnt abolish school uniform but I need help in making it an A grade standard. could you help pls?

I can give you some basic points on things you should include..

1. Make sure you have 5 different ideas
2. Have arguments both for and against (basically add in things that could contradict your opinion)
3. Use topic sentences (vital - makes your work 'flow' a lot better)
4. Use evidence to support your point

That's all I can think of from the top of my head but if you need any more help you can pm me:smile:
Reply 4
I can give you some basic points on things you should include..

1. Make sure you have 5 different ideas
2. Have arguments both for and against (basically add in things that could contradict your opinion)
3. Use topic sentences (vital - makes your work 'flow' a lot better)
4. Use evidence to support your point

That's all I can think of from the top of my head but if you need any more help you can pm me:smile:

Dear Mrs Brown,I am writing today to express myconcerns about the new school policy of abolishing school uniform. I believethat this new policy will bring many students such as myself a great struggle.In today’ssociety, students forget about the real reason for going to school and focus ontheir appearance and popularity. Ifpublic schools were to bring in school uniforms, this would cut back on the‘socio-economic’ differences, wearing a single standard of dress code takesaway the pressure of what to wear, so students are less likely to focus theirattention on how they look but rather on their education. This will help removesocial barriers and eliminates prejudice amongst students.From my point of view, uniformsmake pupils look smarter compared to casual apparel and this gives outsiders agood impression of the school. As well as that, uniform acts as a social-leveller under which all students are equal in the eyes of the school and eachother. Most importantly, students don’t have to worry about buying the latestclothing in order to fit in, they could wear the same outfit every day withoutworrying if their peers will accept their fashion sense. Why should any childfeel inferior due to the clothing they wear?It may be true as some people statethat uniform does suppress individuality but it is, in fact, this individualitythat causes social stigma and results in bullying. Due to this reason I have astrong belief that uniform gives students a sense of belonging and creates anidentity for the school in the community. It provides students with comfort,confidence and courage which helps remove a severe burden about what theyshould wear every morning just to be ‘accepted’ by their friends.People say that uniform providesparents with financial stress as they have to replace the uniform every year asstudents are ever-growing but what about that stress that parents receive whentheir child insists them to buy them a £250 pair of jeans because their friendshave them?Wearing a proper uniform can reduceviolence inside the campus. How? It makes it easy for authorities andadministrators to recognise students from outsiders. Lately, we have seen onthe news that many schools are being attacked and students can be at risk.Uniforms prevent non-students from getting inside the campus, thereby avoidingthe possibility of them committing disruptive acts. Isn’t the safety ofstudents the students the most important thing?In many researches, it is proventhat school uniforms can improve learning by reducing distraction, sharpeningfocus on school work and allowing students to perform better automatically.Clearly, you would want this for your students?In conclusion, allowing students tocontinue on wearing casual apparel will bring a negative effect on the studentsand lower their self-esteem which will discourage them to come to school andwill lower their attendance which has various disadvantages. Whilst freedom isimportant and children should have a right to wear what they want, it doesbring struggle and injustice upon many other students.Wearing a uniform provides studentswith a myriad of benefits. It not only promotes a better learning environment,but it also instils positive values in them. This will help them to becomebetter individuals and learn to discipline themselves and enable themselves tofollow rules in the future.I deeply hope that my suggestion isbrought to your consideration. this is my letter, pls help me make improvements �0�Ap�
Dear Mrs Brown, I am writing today to express my concerns about the new school policy of abolishing school uniform. I believe that this new policy will bring many students such as myself a great struggle and within this letter I will address exactly why I think this.

In today’s society, students forget about the real reason for going to school and focus on their appearance and popularity. If public schools were to bring in school uniforms, this would cut back on the ‘socio-economic’ differences, wearing a single standard of dress code takes away the pressure of what to wear, so students are less likely to focus their attention on how they look but rather on their education. This will help remove social barriers and eliminates prejudice amongst students. In my experience, having the same outfit as everyone else has helped me look for ways in which I am similar to people instead of looking for ways I am different thus making self-confidence far easier to achieve. Therefore, not abolishing school uniform encourages students to appreciate their school as a whole because they are able to feel comfortable with the environment they are in and the people they are surrounded with so don't feel the need to stress about things such as appearance.

From my point of view, uniforms make pupils look smarter compared to casual apparel and this gives outsiders a good impression of the school. As well as that, uniform acts as a social-leveller under which all students are equal in the eyes of the school and each other. Most importantly, students don’t have to worry about buying the latestclothing in order to fit in, they could wear the same outfit every day withoutworrying if their peers will accept their fashion sense. Why should any childfeel inferior due to the clothing they wear? - Hmmm, maybe you could change this paragraph and talk about how school uniform gives students a sense of identity? E.G.Uniforms create a distinctive identity for the school. A recent survey/study made by the (idk, add a fact/statistic here) has proven that students were less likely to misbehave outside of school premises because their uniform instantly identified their school and pupils were conscious and aware of the fact that "adults will ring up and report it if you've dropped litter in the street". The understanding students have of this form of identification allows them to take responsibility for their actions- (then you can talk about why identity is so important in contributing to improving a school's reputation overall to sum it up."

It may be true as some people state that uniform does suppress individuality but it is, in fact, this individuality that causes social stigma and results in bullying. - Talk more about bullying here, this is a really good point (facts and statistics will be useful here to support your argument)

People say that uniform provides parents with financial stress as they have to replace the uniform every year as students are ever-growing but what about that stress that parents receive when their child insists them to buy them a £250 (a bit exaggerated lol - maybe say £54, I guess it depends on what you see as expensive) a pair of jeans because their friends have them?
- Carry on with this point, talk about how there are constantly being new fashion trends introduced and how this can be a burden to parents

In conclusion, allowing students to continue on wearing casual apparel can potentially have a negative effect on students. School uniform not only promotes a better learning environment but it also instils positive values within young people. This will teach them the basic fundamentals of discipline. Whilst freedom is important and children should have a right to wear what they want, it does bring struggle and injustice upon many other students.
Even so, fully scrutinizing the scope of the problem, I can see that the benefits of the uniform actually outweigh its minor inconvenience. I deeply hope that my suggestion is brought to your consideration.
BOLD - STUFF YOU SHOULD ADD
UNDERLINED - TOPIC SENTENCES (THE ONLY THINGS YOU SHOULD BE ELLABORATING ON IN THAT PARAGRAPH)

Yours sincerely, ________ (feel like it should be my name here, lol)

Hope I helped:h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by quibblerwaffle
dear mrs brown, i am writing today to express my concerns about the new school policy of abolishing school uniform. i believe that this new policy will bring many students such as myself a great struggle and within this letter i will address exactly why i think this.

in today’s society, students forget about the real reason for going to school and focus on their appearance and popularity. If public schools were to bring in school uniforms, this would cut back on the ‘socio-economic’ differences, wearing a single standard of dress code takes away the pressure of what to wear, so students are less likely to focus their attention on how they look but rather on their education. This will help remove social barriers and eliminates prejudice amongst students. In my experience, having the same outfit as everyone else has helped me look for ways in which i am similar to people instead of looking for ways i am different thus making self-confidence far easier to achieve. Therefore, not abolishing school uniform encourages students to appreciate their school as a whole because they are able to feel comfortable with the environment they are in and the people they are surrounded with so don't feel the need to stress about things such as appearance.

from my point of view, uniforms make pupils look smarter compared to casual apparel and this gives outsiders a good impression of the school. As well as that, uniform acts as a social-leveller under which all students are equal in the eyes of the school and each other. Most importantly, students don’t have to worry about buying the latestclothing in order to fit in, they could wear the same outfit every day withoutworrying if their peers will accept their fashion sense. Why should any childfeel inferior due to the clothing they wear? - hmmm, maybe you could change this paragraph and talk about how school uniform gives students a sense of identity? E.g.uniforms create a distinctive identity for the school. a recent survey/study made by the (idk, add a fact/statistic here) has proven that students were less likely to misbehave outside of school premises because their uniform instantly identified their school and pupils were conscious and aware of the fact that "adults will ring up and report it if you've dropped litter in the street". The understanding students have of this form of identification allows them to take responsibility for their actions- (then you can talk about why identity is so important in contributing to improving a school's reputation overall to sum it up."

it may be true as some people state that uniform does suppress individuality but it is, in fact, this individuality that causes social stigma and results in bullying. - talk more about bullying here, this is a really good point (facts and statistics will be useful here to support your argument)

people say that uniform provides parents with financial stress as they have to replace the uniform every year as students are ever-growing but what about that stress that parents receive when their child insists them to buy them a £250 (a bit exaggerated lol - maybe say £54, i guess it depends on what you see as expensive) a pair of jeans because their friends have them?
- carry on with this point, talk about how there are constantly being new fashion trends introduced and how this can be a burden to parents

in conclusion, allowing students to continue on wearing casual apparel can potentially have a negative effect on students. School uniform not only promotes a better learning environment but it also instils positive values within young people. This will teach them the basic fundamentals of discipline. Whilst freedom is important and children should have a right to wear what they want, it does bring struggle and injustice upon many other students.
even so, fully scrutinizing the scope of the problem, i can see that the benefits of the uniform actually outweigh its minor inconvenience. I deeply hope that my suggestion is brought to your consideration.
bold - stuff you should add
underlined - topic sentences (the only things you should be ellaborating on in that paragraph)

yours sincerely, ________ (feel like it should be my name here, lol)

hope i helped:h

thankyou so much!! Helped alot
Reply 7
Dear Mrs Brown, I am writing today to express my concerns about the new school policy of abolishing school uniform. I believe that this new policy will bring many students such as myself a great struggle and within this letter I will address exactly why I think this.

In today’s society, students forget about the real reason for going to school and focus on their appearance and popularity. If public schools were to bring in school uniforms, this would cut back on the ‘socio-economic’ differences, wearing a single standard of dress code takes away the pressure of what to wear, so students are less likely to focus their attention on how they look but rather on their education. This will help remove social barriers and eliminates prejudice amongst students. In my experience, having the same outfit as everyone else has helped me look for ways in which I am similar to people instead of looking for ways I am different thus making self-confidence far easier to achieve. Therefore, not abolishing school uniform encourages students to appreciate their school as a whole because they are able to feel comfortable with the environment they are in and the people they are surrounded with so don't feel the need to stress about things such as appearance.

From my point of view, uniforms make pupils look smarter compared to casual apparel and this gives outsiders a good impression of the school. As well as that, uniform acts as a social-leveller under which all students are equal in the eyes of the school and each other. Most importantly, students don’t have to worry about buying the latestclothing in order to fit in, they could wear the same outfit every day withoutworrying if their peers will accept their fashion sense. Why should any childfeel inferior due to the clothing they wear? - Hmmm, maybe you could change this paragraph and talk about how school uniform gives students a sense of identity? E.G.Uniforms create a distinctive identity for the school. A recent survey/study made by the (idk, add a fact/statistic here) has proven that students were less likely to misbehave outside of school premises because their uniform instantly identified their school and pupils were conscious and aware of the fact that "adults will ring up and report it if you've dropped litter in the street". The understanding students have of this form of identification allows them to take responsibility for their actions- (then you can talk about why identity is so important in contributing to improving a school's reputation overall to sum it up."

It may be true as some people state that uniform does suppress individuality but it is, in fact, this individuality that causes social stigma and results in bullying. - Talk more about bullying here, this is a really good point (facts and statistics will be useful here to support your argument)

People say that uniform provides parents with financial stress as they have to replace the uniform every year as students are ever-growing but what about that stress that parents receive when their child insists them to buy them a £250 (a bit exaggerated lol - maybe say £54, I guess it depends on what you see as expensive) a pair of jeans because their friends have them?
- Carry on with this point, talk about how there are constantly being new fashion trends introduced and how this can be a burden to parents

In conclusion, allowing students to continue on wearing casual apparel can potentially have a negative effect on students. School uniform not only promotes a better learning environment but it also instils positive values within young people. This will teach them the basic fundamentals of discipline. Whilst freedom is important and children should have a right to wear what they want, it does bring struggle and injustice upon many other students.
Even so, fully scrutinizing the scope of the problem, I can see that the benefits of the uniform actually outweigh its minor inconvenience. I deeply hope that my suggestion is brought to your consideration.
BOLD - STUFF YOU SHOULD ADD
UNDERLINED - TOPIC SENTENCES (THE ONLY THINGS YOU SHOULD BE ELLABORATING ON IN THAT PARAGRAPH)

Yours sincerely, ________ (feel like it should be my name here, lol)

Hope I helped:h:

Fur is not fashion…It’s adeath sentenceAnimal fur products...Whodoesn’t love them? They feel soft, cosy and keep us warm during the coldwinters and most importantly they look very stylish! But have you ever stoppedand thought about the region of that the garment you like so much? Do you knowthe facts about that skin you’re wearing? Let me assure you they are not prettyones!Imagine being pulled outof your dirty wired cage and someone puts a metal clamp in your mouth. Avaulting current is set surging through your body and your painfully skinnedalive. Your body is then tossed into a pile, like a piece of garbage, withothers who have suffered the same fate. This is the reality thatthousands of animals face on a daily basis for their skin in the name offashion. There’s a misconception that animals on fur farms are treatedhumanely, unfortunately, there’s nothing humane about the depriving animals ofthe behavioural and psychological needs. Fur farming is nothing more than aninstitutionalised torture! Do you know according to one of the leading animalrights organisation, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) morethan 35 million animals die in fur farms around the world and eighty-fivepercent of the fur industry‘s skins come from animals who were captive on furfactory farms. Thousands of animals arekilled for their fur every single day, these range from foxes, chinchillas,minks, and rabbits. These types of animals are held captive and spend theirentire lives on fur farms in which they are confined to cramped and filthycages. In these farms, fur farmers use the cheapest and cruellest killingmethods available. Animals are poisoned, suffocated, electrocuted…the list goeson. What a ghastly image. Every year at least 6 million fur clothing items aresold…Only an idiot would spend over a £1000 on a fur coat which took awaythousands of acquitted lives when they could’ve brought a faux fur coat whichlooks exactly the same!But hang on, why do peopleuse fur anyway? What makes it so special? After considering all these factswhich fool would ever look at fur the same way again without thinking of thebrutality these cute little vulnerable animals face.I blame it on thesecelebrities who are supposed to be our so called ‘role models’, flaunting apart of an innocent animal around themselves thinking it makes them lookglamourous, classy, chic, and wealthy. The media has its own huge, detrimentalrole to play by idolising celebrities such as Kanye West, Miley Cyrus andMadonna and praising them for their ‘fashion sense’; more like no sense. Clearly,people use fur just to feed their greedy appetite for fashion, giving thepublic the impression that wearing fur will make you look like a star but itjust makes you a murderer I say!It is our job to be thevoice of the voiceless, the voice of the oppressed and the voice of innocence.It is a brutal industry where the lives of many innocent animals are taken inthe name of fashion. There is no point to making them suffer because fur is notan essential part of life. We should leave the animals be. We have our ownskin, so why do we have to take theirs?
Do u know how I can make this A grade?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest