The Student Room Group

2016 Medicine Rejection Thread

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=vickie89uk;63532975]I was under the impression only A levels had to be sat at the same time.... Am I wrong... As an adult working I can only do two GCSEs a week. I looked after my father who had MS so left school at 15 I sat the exams because I was forced to but I didn't get great marks I only got two Cs but it's extenuating circumstances.

I'm guessing your a mature student then ?
It says in the marking scheme they mark your best 10 which have to be sat in the same year but this would be for school leavers. I would give them a ring and check with them as you circumstances are different. Maybe A levels in one sitting would be enough but you would have to explain this to them.
I didn't know any of this information until after I applied which was too late. My school only allow you to do 9 GCSEs and one of those we had to sit early in the November cos the government changed the syllabus after 12 months so I ended up with a B in English language which pretty much put an end to my application to most medical schools.

Good luck with your application tho😀
Original post by Hopeful medic97
2 GCSEs a week?

A year not a week... But we have only 31 2 hour classes a year

Original post by Hopeful medic97
I'm guessing your a mature student then ?
It says in the marking scheme they mark your best 10 which have to be sat in the same year but this would be for school leavers. I would give them a ring and check with them as you circumstances are different. Maybe A levels in one sitting would be enough but you would have to explain this to them.
I didn't know any of this information until after I applied which was too late. My school only allow you to do 9 GCSEs and one of those we had to sit early in the November cos the government changed the syllabus after 12 months so I ended up with a B in English language which pretty much put an end to my application to most medical schools.

Good luck with your application tho😀

Yeah I'll ask them thanks
Pre-interview rejection from Nottingham, post-interview rejection from Sheffield, still not heard from Cardiff regarding an interview so thats essentially a rejection and still waiting to hear from Liverpool. I knew applying to medicine would be hard but I didn't expect to get so emotional :frown:
Original post by Laurenk18
Pre-interview rejection from Nottingham, post-interview rejection from Sheffield, still not heard from Cardiff regarding an interview so thats essentially a rejection and still waiting to hear from Liverpool. I knew applying to medicine would be hard but I didn't expect to get so emotional :frown:

I know how you feel... my post interview rejection from Sheffield came through today too and also haven't heard anything at all from Cardiff. Also got a post interview rejection from Manchester so Birmingham is my last hope but I should probably start planning a gap year... x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RedNebula
I know how you feel... my post interview rejection from Sheffield came through today too and also haven't heard anything at all from Cardiff. Also got a post interview rejection from Manchester so Birmingham is my last hope but I should probably start planning a gap year... x

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was soul destroying today :frown: I feel like that too but best of luck to you! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 3 rejections and then an offer, don't lose hope X
It was soul destroying today :frown: I feel like that too but best of luck to you! x

Yeah... best of luck to you too, I'll have my fingers crossed for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys just thought I should chime in.
In my first application I got 4 straight rejections pre interview. I thought the dream was over.
I took a year working in a microbiology lab and as a HCA and ended up getting 2 offers from 3 interviews.
Absolutely do not give up, whatever your course of action (although I'm a proponent of a working year).
I'm now a fourth year medical student who's passed the first half of their finals.
Do not give up.
Keep going.
Original post by CpnCornetto
Hey guys just thought I should chime in.
In my first application I got 4 straight rejections pre interview. I thought the dream was over.
I took a year working in a microbiology lab and as a HCA and ended up getting 2 offers from 3 interviews.
Absolutely do not give up, whatever your course of action (although I'm a proponent of a working year).
I'm now a fourth year medical student who's passed the first half of their finals.
Do not give up.
Keep going.

Thanks! :smile: Where did you get offers from? And what med school are you currently at?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Thanks! :smile: Where did you get offers from? And what med school are you currently at?

Offers from barts and Glasgow
Currently at Glasgow
Absolutely love Glasgow as a place aswell.
When I was applying it was my 4th choice on my second attempt.
Then I came for interview and completely fell in love with the place.
Original post by sumeyyatontus
I got 3 rejections and then an offer, don't lose hope X

What are your stats please
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vickie89uk
What are your stats please

GCSEs: 4A* 5A 2B
AS: ABBB
A2 pred: A*AA + A* Welsh baccalaureate
UKCAT: 2660 (665 avg) band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry to hear the lack of news from Cardiff guys, sadly it is getting towards the end of the cycle now so things arent looking to optimistic (but you never know!).
to everyone who is on here still waiting to hear from their last choice post interview with 3 rejections etc. this was me last year.

I had my Cardiff interview late November, then received 3 pre-interview rejections from my other choices in jan/feb and I was so destroyed, I understand how it really toys with your emotions. I had given up all hope, but 31st of march came around and I got an offer from Cardiff, this can happen and will happen to some of you do dont give up just yet!
Original post by sumeyyatontus
GCSEs: 4A* 5A 2B
AS: ABBB
A2 pred: A*AA + A* Welsh baccalaureate
UKCAT: 2660 (665 avg) band 2

Where do you attend school?! Thank you
Has anyone received an interview if they have a GCSE score of 25 or lower? I haven't seen anyone on here get an interview with less than 26 and if they are still interviewing was wondering if there is much hope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216
Well, that's 4 rejections for me.
Gonna reapply next year I guess.
Reply 217
To everyone who has 4 rejections - please don't lose hope. I'm a graduate and I was in this situation last time I applied, I had 4 pre interview rejections due to a rubbish UKCAT. I took some time out and missed an application cycle, worked and volunteered. This year I took the UKCAT and was careful with my choices and had 4 interview offers. I ultimately have had 1 unconditional, 1 conditional, 1 waiting list and I withdrew from the last. I almost stopped following my medicine dream, I'm so glad I didn't! Don't lose faith x
Has anyone received an interview if they have a GCSE score of 25 or lower? I haven't seen anyone on here get an interview with less than 26 and if they are still interviewing was wondering if there is much hope

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Cardiff right? My friend had an interview with 24 points I think
Original post by wanab
To everyone who has 4 rejections - please don't lose hope. I'm a graduate and I was in this situation last time I applied, I had 4 pre interview rejections due to a rubbish UKCAT. I took some time out and missed an application cycle, worked and volunteered. This year I took the UKCAT and was careful with my choices and had 4 interview offers. I ultimately have had 1 unconditional, 1 conditional, 1 waiting list and I withdrew from the last. I almost stopped following my medicine dream, I'm so glad I didn't! Don't lose faith x

Congrats! :smile: Where did you have offers from? How do you think your interviews went? I seem to be failing all my interviews for some reason.
PS. I see you're a fan of Grey's anatomy :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending