The Student Room Group

Dundee Medicine 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Junioh
@redddddd @medap123 @charmedwonderer @fazugfx @Da_Don_1997 and me
I think that's it?(People who are doing(or thinking of doing) the WA course)

Well done to everyone who secured a place 😊. I look forward to seeing you all in september.
Reply 901
Original post by Junioh
Good luck JS!
:crossedf:

Received my rejection through on ucas at six today. Thanks for your support anyway :smile: :smile:

Gap year it is!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redddddd
Junioh you have me hahah I'll be living at home. We can both be anti-social together hahaha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! I'm not alone :giggle:
Original post by Da_Don_1997
Well done to everyone who secured a place 😊. I look forward to seeing you all in september.

See you guys in September!!!!!!
Cant wait :h:
Original post by JS98
Received my rejection through on ucas at six today. Thanks for your support anyway :smile: :smile:

Gap year it is!

Aberdeen and Edinburgh have a waiting list :crossedf:
Original post by nsr97
yeah, done a tour last week and found it to be excellent. Also told that if the grades A,A, B are achieved you can opt to go straight into year 2 meaning only having to do 3 yrs on this course, then apply for medicine which again is 4 yrs. I think it is a good way to go if no medical uni offers and it gives a good knowledge prior to medicine. Standard 4 yr medical science course requires A,B,B
Anyone else on here going to do medical science in Edinburgh.??

That is exactly what I was thinking!
Second year entry + entry to medicine in yr4 = 3yrs
And I think you get into yr2 or yr1 medical school?
You get to choose what area you're interested in and study further in yr4, which could be quite helpful if you're thinking of specializing in a particular medical field or go into surgery(which is quite competitive
Original post by Junioh
Thank you k! You've been a massive help and I really appreciate it :smile:
Yeah regarding accommodation, I know this sounds silly, but I'm trying to not rely on parental support(which is gonna be really really hard!), so if I take out the maximum student loan(£5750), the majority will go to accommodation.. Do you think it's really anti-social if I just move to private rent in first year?
I don't know much about the pre-med year, having researched online, there is no much info/experience regarding the course! If I can't make it to the applicant visit then I will definitely bombard the med admin with questions(which I already have but they're so slow at replying :frown:

I know it's not easy relying on your parents, but if they can and offer to help you out a bit then I advise you take it. The maximum loan you talk about is based on your parents supporting you an extra bit as well, it is not something you are expected to be able to live off of! Even £50 a month from mum and dad will make all the difference to your life. If it makes you feel guilty taking on a job alongside it isn't the end of the world just know that it will be difficult to sustain during medical school. Even in a normal degree I found I couldn't work beyond the 3rd year as it was too much and in medical school you will be expected to do shifts in 4th and 5th year which will make working that much harder.

It isn't particularly anti-social to find private accomodation, plenty of graduates will certainly be doing that anyway. Halls is just a nice way to get to know people if you can do it. It takes away the stress and worry of having to sort out bills initially and gives you a good/safe environment to move out in and enjoy meeting new people. I think I would have been way more stressed about finding private accomodation in the beginning if I hadn't had halls to get me started, but that's my personal opinion. Everything suits people differently.
Original post by kcampbell893
I know it's not easy relying on your parents, but if they can and offer to help you out a bit then I advise you take it. The maximum loan you talk about is based on your parents supporting you an extra bit as well, it is not something you are expected to be able to live off of! Even £50 a month from mum and dad will make all the difference to your life. If it makes you feel guilty taking on a job alongside it isn't the end of the world just know that it will be difficult to sustain during medical school. Even in a normal degree I found I couldn't work beyond the 3rd year as it was too much and in medical school you will be expected to do shifts in 4th and 5th year which will make working that much harder.

It isn't particularly anti-social to find private accomodation, plenty of graduates will certainly be doing that anyway. Halls is just a nice way to get to know people if you can do it. It takes away the stress and worry of having to sort out bills initially and gives you a good/safe environment to move out in and enjoy meeting new people. I think I would have been way more stressed about finding private accomodation in the beginning if I hadn't had halls to get me started, but that's my personal opinion. Everything suits people differently.

Okay I will look for a summer job. I'm not too sure about part-time job, whether I can commit to that. My parents offered to help but I felt like I've been relying them for my whole life and I really don't wanna ask for more money when I turn 18. I will see :/
I'm still quite keen on the idea of private rent, so I'm gonna search for private accommodation to see if I could find any nice ones? What sites do you guys normally use??
Thank you again :h:
Reply 908
Original post by Junioh
Aberdeen and Edinburgh have a waiting list :crossedf:

That's good. People are saying everyone on the waiting list ended up receiving an offer last year! Not too sure how people know this but there's still a chance.

Well done on the premed offer you received. Did you apply to that or did they give you the offer as opposed to you going straight into medicine. Never even heard of that before :smile:
Original post by JS98
That's good. People are saying everyone on the waiting list ended up receiving an offer last year! Not too sure how people know this but there's still a chance.

Well done on the premed offer you received. Did you apply to that or did they give you the offer as opposed to you going straight into medicine. Never even heard of that before :smile:

Yeah Aberdeen is pretty harsh this year! Giving out only 300 offers out of 800 interviewees(I'm clearly not bitter or anything :rolleyes:
so people who got offers will have offers from other medical schools too, and everyone can only go to one medical school!
No I didn't apply for A104, Idk! I'm happy nevertheless! Cant ask for more!

Edit: they are asking for a second MMI+grade so it's a bit like reapplying! It's not a guaranteed entry and we still need to work harrrd!!! If you end up reapplying we might be classmates! Good luck!(Although I wish you get in through the waiting list and don't have to take a gap year
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Junioh
Yeah Aberdeen is pretty harsh this year! Giving out only 300 offers out of 800 interviewees(I'm clearly not bitter or anything :rolleyes:
so people who got offers will have offers from other medical schools too, and everyone can only go to one medical school!

Aberdeen isn't harsher than Glasgow or Dundee, on the contrary. Aberdeen gave more people a chance at the interview stage (which is the most important part), whereas Glasgow and Dundee rejected most people pre-interview, which i personally think is harsher, because you can't tell what someone is like until you meet them in person.

vis a vis you not wanting your parents help financially, i'm sorry to say it but it's a really stupid move not accepting their help if they're willing to give it to you. there is no way you can live off of student loans alone. Pre-med/medical school will be extremely demanding for you and the last thing you'll want to do is give up every weekend for a part time job.
I've ended up in the position where i desperately need financial help and my parents won't unfortunately be able to provide it through no fault of their own. Even if you can come to an agreement with your folks about them giving you a long term loan it's definitely better than struggling along with not enough cash and having to dip into your overdraft (extremely expensive btw).
It's not cool or fun to be at uni with barely any money - if you need help and can get it from someone other than the bank or a loans company TAKE IT
Original post by Junioh
Okay I will look for a summer job. I'm not too sure about part-time job, whether I can commit to that. My parents offered to help but I felt like I've been relying them for my whole life and I really don't wanna ask for more money when I turn 18. I will see :/
I'm still quite keen on the idea of private rent, so I'm gonna search for private accommodation to see if I could find any nice ones? What sites do you guys normally use??
Thank you again :h:

Here I am at 22 about to be relying on my parents until I'm potentially 28. It doesn't get easier but just be grateful for it because some people are in a situation where they have to work 2/3 part time jobs and do med school. Don't make things deliberately hard on yourself out of pride. Since my parents are insisting, I try and do them justice by being sensible with my money and having a part-time job to cover any luxuries I might want such as holidays or a new phone. I don't expect them to cover those things and remain grateful for them helping out with rent and stuff.

Parents are expected to look after you financially if you are in full-time education until the age of 25 so you are far from alone. But do not expect student loans to cover it, they won't and are deliberately designed as such because SAAS expect your parents to put up about the same as what they give you. Dundee is relatively cheap to live in compared to other cities but even so, rent, food and bills come to around £8000 a year altogether. You are being silly to make things hard for yourself and it will make university much less enjoyable. It is much better and easier to work out an arrangement with your parents now than to have to go back to them at a later point and say, I tried and didn't manage can you help me out. It means both you and they are expecting it and can plan ahead. if your parents are expecting to have to give you £50-100 a month it is easier for them to plan for than you coming home half way through the year stressed and broke and needing more than that. If they can even cover half your rent it makes a huge difference!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello folks, how many of you are planning to rent a flat rather than stay in halls?
Original post by medbot123
Aberdeen isn't harsher than Glasgow or Dundee, on the contrary. Aberdeen gave more people a chance at the interview stage (which is the most important part), whereas Glasgow and Dundee rejected most people pre-interview, which i personally think is harsher, because you can't tell what someone is like until you meet them in person.

vis a vis you not wanting your parents help financially, i'm sorry to say it but it's a really stupid move not accepting their help if they're willing to give it to you. there is no way you can live off of student loans alone. Pre-med/medical school will be extremely demanding for you and the last thing you'll want to do is give up every weekend for a part time job.
I've ended up in the position where i desperately need financial help and my parents won't unfortunately be able to provide it through no fault of their own. Even if you can come to an agreement with your folks about them giving you a long term loan it's definitely better than struggling along with not enough cash and having to dip into your overdraft (extremely expensive btw).
It's not cool or fun to be at uni with barely any money - if you need help and can get it from someone other than the bank or a loans company TAKE IT

Original post by kcampbell893
Here I am at 22 about to be relying on my parents until I'm potentially 28. It doesn't get easier but just be grateful for it because some people are in a situation where they have to work 2/3 part time jobs and do med school. Don't make things deliberately hard on yourself out of pride. Since my parents are insisting, I try and do them justice by being sensible with my money and having a part-time job to cover any luxuries I might want such as holidays or a new phone. I don't expect them to cover those things and remain grateful for them helping out with rent and stuff.

Parents are expected to look after you financially if you are in full-time education until the age of 25 so you are far from alone. But do not expect student loans to cover it, they won't and are deliberately designed as such because SAAS expect your parents to put up about the same as what they give you. Dundee is relatively cheap to live in compared to other cities but even so, rent, food and bills come to around £8000 a year altogether. You are being silly to make things hard for yourself and it will make university much less enjoyable. It is much better and easier to work out an arrangement with your parents now than to have to go back to them at a later point and say, I tried and didn't manage can you help me out. It means both you and they are expecting it and can plan ahead. if your parents are expecting to have to give you £50-100 a month it is easier for them to plan for than you coming home half way through the year stressed and broke and needing more than that. If they can even cover half your rent it makes a huge difference!

Thank you for your advice guys :smile:
Further congratulations for those with offers and commiserations to those who weren't successful. Just going to repost the link for those of you with offers on facebook as it would be great to have community before we all arrive there :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1112026265497174/?fref=ts
Does anyone know if there's applicant days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medapplicant24
Does anyone know if there's applicant days?

I think so, apparently we'll soon be getting an email about them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 918
Hello!

I've been away on holiday for a few weeks but found out I got into Medicine while I was away. I am a graduate applicant and will be 25 by the time I start the course and this was my 5th time applying. I very nearly didn't apply last year - I left it until the end of August to register for the UKCAT and start my UCAS application as in the last 4 applications I have never made it to interview stage so to those who don't know what to do, please don't give up!

I have just firmed my place but unsure what to do about accommodation. I have been in halls before at Uni and don't know whether I should go for a flat or halls this time around.

Congratulations to all those who have offers!
Original post by kayL
Hello!

I've been away on holiday for a few weeks but found out I got into Medicine while I was away. I am a graduate applicant and will be 25 by the time I start the course and this was my 5th time applying. I very nearly didn't apply last year - I left it until the end of August to register for the UKCAT and start my UCAS application as in the last 4 applications I have never made it to interview stage so to those who don't know what to do, please don't give up!

I have just firmed my place but unsure what to do about accommodation. I have been in halls before at Uni and don't know whether I should go for a flat or halls this time around.

Congratulations to all those who have offers!

Congratulations on your offer and well done for your persistence :smile: I am a graduate applicant too (I am 26) and cannot wait to start. This is my 2nd time applying, I never made it to the interview stage before either!

I was thinking about halls too but I have decided to rent privately, hopefully with some other medics.

You should join the Facebook group if you haven't already :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending