The Student Room Group

Best universities for Mechanical Engineering

Hi people :u:,

I live in London and I am struggling to choose between three universities for Mechanical Engineering; University of Manchester, University of Bristol and Queen Mary University of London.
Can someone please give me an honest suggestion in which one is worth choosing. As I accommodate in London, I don't know whether I should accept an offer from Manchester or Bristol because of the accommodation expenses (maintenance loans). However; I have searched the league tables and know Queen Mary is well below Bristol and Manchester.
Also I want to go somewhere I won't struggle a lot in terms of academic level and pressure.

Responses are appreciated in advance.
Original post by Merveyy
Hi people :u:,

I live in London and I am struggling to choose between three universities for Mechanical Engineering; University of Manchester, University of Bristol and Queen Mary University of London.
Can someone please give me an honest suggestion in which one is worth choosing. As I accommodate in London, I don't know whether I should accept an offer from Manchester or Bristol because of the accommodation expenses (maintenance loans). However; I have searched the league tables and know Queen Mary is well below Bristol and Manchester.
Also I want to go somewhere I won't struggle a lot in terms of academic level and pressure.

Hi

I've moved this to the Engineering forum for you where it might get a response. If not then try reposting in the stickied applicant thread as that should be seen by the largest group of people.

Also have a look round and maybe post in the stickied threads in the University of Manchester, University of Bristol and Queen Mary University London forums.
Original post by Merveyy

Hey there!

So, these kinds of questions get asked a lot, especially on this forum, be sure to look at past threads here as many people have already been in your situation and great advice has already been given. :smile:

Firstly, I want to clarify that your university experience is entirely unique. Academic level/pressure won't change hugely from university to university, what makes it change is the kind of student you are. If you are organized and work hard, it doesn't matter which university you're at or which degree you do.

All three of those universities will be great choices. It's not just the name or rank of your university which determines how good your degree will be. Different factors include project work, internships or related experience, contacts and so on. It's far too common for people to think everything solely lies on their university choice; look into all three of them, see which interests you the most, how the degrees differ. Also think about the cities, going somewhere which you're happy at will help immensely.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 3
Original post by Merveyy
As I accommodate in London, I don't know whether I should accept an offer from Manchester or Bristol because of the accommodation expenses (maintenance loans).

You only start paying the loan back when you earn over £21k. And even if you earn, say, £30k you only repay £67 per month (no matter how big the loan was). Not a huge expense.... it's the equivalent of a Starbucks a day.

Nearly all students take up their maintenance loan.

Have you visited UoM and/or Bristol?

Quick Reply

Latest