The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Sheffield Medical School

Poll

Which is better? Please leave a reason if you have one! :)

Hi I am very fortunate to have both offers from Newcastle and Sheffield. I like them both very much equally and therefore find it quite difficult to decide where to study medicine. I would like to seek your advice/ personal views on these medical schools. Which one should I pick? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will rep if you're willing to help :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Medicine101
Hi I am very fortunate to have both offers from Newcastle and Sheffield. I like them both very much equally and therefore find it quite difficult to decide where to study medicine. I would like to seek your advice/ personal views on these medical schools. Which one should I pick? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will rep if you're willing to help :smile:

its time to sit down and make a list of pros and cons for each uni... think about
1) course - does the learning style suit you? number of exams? how is anatomy taught? do you learn through mainly lectures or classes? do they offer good intercalated options? do they offer interesting and varied student selected course components?
2) clinical contact - do you learn clinically orientated medicine early on? when do you start seeing real patients? when does formal clinical skills training begin? how are the hospitals in the area?
3) university - are there any clubs your interested in joining already? how is the university accommodation in terms of price and facilities? is it a campus or a city uni?
4) location - how far are you from home? how long will it take you to get to lectures and classes from your accommodation? how close is the nearest supermarket/shopping centre?

try to exclude rankings as they literally mean nothing, but now you should know the courses and the unis inside out, so making a pros and cons list will be easy (if not then get looking on these forums and on the websites).

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Natalierm2707
its time to sit down and make a list of pros and cons for each uni... think about
1) course - does the learning style suit you? number of exams? how is anatomy taught? do you learn through mainly lectures or classes? do they offer good intercalated options? do they offer interesting and varied student selected course components?
2) clinical contact - do you learn clinically orientated medicine early on? when do you start seeing real patients? when does formal clinical skills training begin? how are the hospitals in the area?
3) university - are there any clubs your interested in joining already? how is the university accommodation in terms of price and facilities? is it a campus or a city uni?
4) location - how far are you from home? how long will it take you to get to lectures and classes from your accommodation? how close is the nearest supermarket/shopping centre?

try to exclude rankings as they literally mean nothing, but now you should know the courses and the unis inside out, so making a pros and cons list will be easy (if not then get looking on these forums and on the websites).

Good luck!

I've researched basically everything you said and I'm still undecided. I'm looking for other peoples views/ advice. Thank you though.l
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Medicine101
I've researched basically everything you said and I'm still undecided. I'm looking for other peoples views/ advice. Thank you though.l

oh ok,

I feel sheffield is a little heavy on the lectures, its a very classical course. I would personally pick newcastle over sheffield but thats my opinion.

It really is better to form an opinion for yourself because others have different opinions for different reasons, and so a pro/con to them may be the other way around to you. I know its very hard to chose, but you will keep researching and eventually find one!
I personally think if you like both equally then it doesn't really matter as you'll enjoy both.
At the end of the day you come out with a degree that's worth the same.
Go with where you'd enjoy living the most for 5/6 years minnimum.
I flipped a coin between Glasgow and Barts, now a 4th year at Glasgow and never looked back. You end up loving wherever you go.
Although saying that the nightlife in Newcastle really is something else.
Reply 5
Original post by Natalierm2707
oh ok,

I feel sheffield is a little heavy on the lectures, its a very classical course. I would personally pick newcastle over sheffield but thats my opinion.

It really is better to form an opinion for yourself because others have different opinions for different reasons, and so a pro/con to them may be the other way around to you. I know its very hard to chose, but you will keep researching and eventually find one!

Thank you. I do have an opinion on both medical schools. Since they both have different pros/cons, it's difficult to decide which is better. So, that's why I would like to seek views from a different perspective, having your own view can be very narrow; there maybe points I missed that worth considering. This is part of my research. Why would you choose Newcastle? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CpnCornetto
I personally think if you like both equally then it doesn't really matter as you'll enjoy both.
At the end of the day you come out with a degree that's worth the same.
Go with where you'd enjoy living the most for 5/6 years minnimum.
I flipped a coin between Glasgow and Barts, now a 4th year at Glasgow and never looked back. You end up loving wherever you go.
Although saying that the nightlife in Newcastle really is something else.

Appreciate it!
Reply 7
How is the course and how are the exams at Sheffield?
Also will all the teaching hospitals be in Sheffield- I heard something about being sent to Grimsby and stuff?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending