The Student Room Group

Worried about English Literature

Last year we have completed all our coursework for English which included an essay about "Of Mice and Men". This year we briefly studied and read "An Inspector Calls" and "Heroes". If I'm honest, I don't think my teacher is very good. I have no idea what to expect in the exam, what kind of questions it will ask, the format, how to answer the questions. I was wondering what the best ways to revise would be. I know this must be a very popular question and I know the obvious answer is look at past papers and answer those questions but is there anything that will significantly help me?
Original post by BillyCockell
Last year we have completed all our coursework for English which included an essay about "Of Mice and Men". This year we briefly studied and read "An Inspector Calls" and "Heroes". If I'm honest, I don't think my teacher is very good. I have no idea what to expect in the exam, what kind of questions it will ask, the format, how to answer the questions. I was wondering what the best ways to revise would be. I know this must be a very popular question and I know the obvious answer is look at past papers and answer those questions but is there anything that will significantly help me?

The best thing to do is firstly get your hands on the relevant syllabus (should be available online with a quick Google search - make sure it's the right exam board etc etc) and then you should be able to see exactly what is being examined in each exam - whether there's a focus on language or context, that kind of thing. That way you're prepared for your revision in terms of knowing exactly what to cover. In terms of literature I would always suggest that you get something like a York Notes if there's one available for the text or texts that you're studying. They always served me well and they just make you feel a bit like you know what you're talking about. Your revision then is about reading that book and making notes relevant to what you know you'll be examined on. And although past papers seem obvious they really are the best way to figure out what examiners want. That way you'll be able to focus your thoughts about your texts even more. The examiners report can be particularly helpful to look at because it will tell you what to avoid as well as what will get you some brownie points.
Reply 2
Which exam board are you with?
Original post by mscaffrey
The best thing to do is firstly get your hands on the relevant syllabus (should be available online with a quick Google search - make sure it's the right exam board etc etc) and then you should be able to see exactly what is being examined in each exam - whether there's a focus on language or context, that kind of thing. That way you're prepared for your revision in terms of knowing exactly what to cover. In terms of literature I would always suggest that you get something like a York Notes if there's one available for the text or texts that you're studying. They always served me well and they just make you feel a bit like you know what you're talking about. Your revision then is about reading that book and making notes relevant to what you know you'll be examined on. And although past papers seem obvious they really are the best way to figure out what examiners want. That way you'll be able to focus your thoughts about your texts even more. The examiners report can be particularly helpful to look at because it will tell you what to avoid as well as what will get you some brownie points.

Thanks I will take all of this into consideration.
Original post by luciie
Which exam board are you with?

WJEC
Thanks, as bad as it sounds I'm glad to know others are also suffering :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest