The Student Room Group

am i OBLIGED to tell UCAS all my exam results?

ok, long story short:
I will be taking a local exam in Hong Kong (called DSE) in April 2016 ( YES, NEXT MONTH )
but I am 100% sure I will fail my compulsory subjects, meaning a NO for local universities
so I plan to take the A levels in 2017 and apply UCAS

HERE'S THE CATCH 22:
should I give up my DSE? taking 7 subjects is really a waste of time, so if I started focusing on A levels now it seems more "profitable"
HOWEVER, some say that students should upload ALL EXAM RESULTS in UCAS, including my DSE
so if I'm gonna give up my DSE, the UK universities I'm applying to in 2017 will be able to see my crappy DSE results

SO MY QUESTION IS:
MUST I TELL UCAS MY DSE RESULTS?

before anyone of u asks:
yes, I could really make a big difference in the DSE results (especially science) if I start up my turbo in the remaining few weeks for revising (but I'm still gonna fail my compulsory subject, i.e. Chinese, but I assume UK Unis wouldn't care)

side note: I took the A levels (including A2) at Form5/Year11 for fun, got AAA in PhysicsChemistryBiology, should I include tell UCAS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayrayronald
ok, long story short:
I will be taking a local exam in Hong Kong (called DSE) in April 2016 ( YES, NEXT MONTH )
but I am 100% sure I will fail my compulsory subjects, meaning a NO for local universities

HERE'S THE CATCH 22:
should I give up my DSE? taking 7 subjects is really a waste of time, so if I started focusing on A levels now it seems more "profitable"
HOWEVER, some say that students should upload ALL EXAM RESULTS in UCAS, including my DSE
so if I'm gonna give up my DSE, the UK universities I'm applying to in 2017 will be able to see my crappy DSE results

SO MY QUESTION IS:

before anyone of u asks:
yes, I could really make a big difference in the DSE results (especially science) if I start up my turbo in the remaining few weeks for revising (but I'm still gonna fail my compulsory subject, i.e. Chinese, but I assume UK Unis wouldn't care)

side note: I took the A levels (including A2) at Form5/Year11 for fun, got AAA in PhysicsChemistryBiology, should I include tell UCAS?

So you already have A-levels? Why you gotta do them again?
ok, long story short:

HERE'S THE CATCH 22:

SO MY QUESTION IS:

before anyone of u asks:

Yes. The UCAS declaration is very clear and specific. Not to do so is regarded as fraudulent. It is not an empty threat, either. You can have your application withdrawn at any time up to graduation.
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
Reply 3
Original post by KyleH123
So you already have A-levels? Why you gotta do them again?

the results i got weren't enough for me to apply the subject i want
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes. The UCAS declaration is very clear and specific. Not to do so is regarded as fraudulent. It is not an empty threat, either. You can have your application withdrawn at any time up to graduation.
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html

I see, what if I were to opt out from the DSE?
theoretically I won't get any results, so I won have to report any DSE-related information, right?
I see, what if I were to opt out from the DSE?
theoretically I won't get any results, so I won have to report any DSE-related information, right?

It's simple. You declare the exam results for exams you have taken. If you haven't taken exams, you don't declare what you haven't done.
Carnation has given you the on the money answer, read the declaration as that will leave you in no doubt. Ofc if you decide not to include then thats the risk you take.
If you could leave off your bad results people would simply paint the best picture possible for UCAS by only making known their top grades, and that's why they bother telling you to include all your results. It doesn't look good if you're trying to hide something. No university expects everyone to have an absolutely perfect education record, so just include everything and see what offers you get (your existing A level results are, I would think, enough to make universities realise that you have potential).
Reply 8
yeah you have to declare EVERYTHING
the results i got weren't enough for me to apply the subject i want

three A's at a level wasn't good enough? what course are you applying for?
thanks guys! cleared upthe questions in my mind!

Original post by KyleH123
three A's at a level wasn't good enough? what course are you applying for?

I'm aiming for cambridge hehe :smile:
Reply 11
thanks guys! cleared upthe questions in my mind!

I'm aiming for cambridge hehe :smile:

For which course? The typical Cambridge offer is A*AA for arts&humanities or A*A*A for most sciences (and Economics). And post A-Level applicants will often have an A* in excess of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
For which course? The typical Cambridge offer is A*AA for arts&humanities or A*A*A for most sciences (and Economics). And post A-Level applicants will often have an A* in excess of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am interested in natural science, but as you said, the requirements are A*AA, but i only got AAA for my A levels :P
Reply 13
I am interested in natural science, but as you said, the requirements are A*AA, but i only got AAA for my A levels :P

Natural Science is A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking A-levels early may mean you can get away with AAA (ring a few Cambridge colleges and ask) although to be honest that combo of subjects will limit what you can take on the course, I'm assuming you will take a biological sciences route which would be fine but you couldn't take some physical sciences options without maths A-level. Check out the course modules on their website
Reply 15
Original post by fangbandit
Taking A-levels early may mean you can get away with AAA

Source?

Cambridge's view is if someone choses to sit early they will be expected to get as good grades as candidates sitting them at the normal time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

I just thought it would be worthwhile asking the university whether they'd take the fact they sat their A-levels 2 years early into consideration, I don't know whether this would influence their decision or not. It might be considered an extenuating circumstance or something?
Reply 17
Original post by fangbandit
I just thought it would be worthwhile asking the university whether they'd take the fact they sat their A-levels 2 years early into consideration, I don't know whether this would influence their decision or not. It might be considered an extenuating circumstance or something?

See my edit above.

Extenuating Circumstances are used when you have been academically disadvantaged by something outside your control. Choosing to do something early is not an EC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
See my edit above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah fair enough, I didn't know that. I just thought it would be worth asking the university
Thanks guys, I actually tried applying to Cambridge, but I was rejected :P
I tried to get a feedback but I applied after the deadline, not sure if I could receive one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending