The Student Room Group

Edexcel vs. AQA Maths

A friend has asked me to give them tutoring in maths - which I am more than capable of doing, but I was on Edexcel and she is on AQA. Are there any big differences in what they teach, or should I be fine?
Original post by Closey
A friend has asked me to give them tutoring in maths - which I am more than capable of doing, but I was on Edexcel and she is on AQA. Are there any big differences in what they teach, or should I be fine?

I don't believe there is any meaningful difference between the content covered by either awarding body. As part of the national curriculum they will all be of a similar quality and will cover broadly the same material. If you are concerned, have a look though the Edexxcel specification and see if there is anything there that you didn't have to learn.

Original post by gdunne42
The combined content of c1+c2 is pretty much the same. Download some past papers and have a go and I'm sure you will be fine.
There are slight differences in what topic is in which applications unit e.g. S1 versus S2, depending on what you studied you may find some topics that you don't know. If you are helping with S1 note that the normal distribution tables used by aqa are very different from those used by Edexcel so download a formula book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP has posted this in the GCSE forum so I assume they are asking about that. You probably know more about that than I so please feel free to correct me on the above :smile:
Original post by ByronicHero

The OP has posted this in the GCSE forum so I assume they are asking about that. You probably know more about that than I so please feel free to correct me on the above :smile:

My mistake, deleted
Reply 3
Original post by ByronicHero
I don't believe there is any meaningful difference between the content covered by either awarding body. As part of the national curriculum they will all be of a similar quality and will cover broadly the same material. If you are concerned, have a look though the Edexxcel specification and see if there is anything there that you didn't have to learn.

OK, thanks :biggrin:
AQA have stupid lines in their papers for you to write on whereas Edexcel give you blank spaces.

Quick Reply

Latest