The Student Room Group

Why are people okay with alcohol but shocked if you smoke cannabis?

Scroll to see replies

I had my first coffee the other day and it did legit make me high.

I looked down at my Starbucks cup and questioned why this this was not illegal - a shop full of people getting high or their fix for the day.

A pub or a night club is full of people getting 'high' (Drunk), they cause huge problems and yet it is still legal.

So would be so wrong about a place full of people smoking cannabis? It would be as calm as your average cafe and quieter than a old persons home.
Original post by AccountingBabe
I'd love to legalise marijuana... Not because I want to smoke it but because I want the tax it would attract in our system.

Every person I have met that smokes it has mental issues mainly due to smoking it. Their character definitely changes but not enough for me to care.

What type of mental issues? It seems you have discovered something all the scienfictic research hasn't shown yet
Original post by Lemon Haze
What type of mental issues? It seems you have discovered something all the scienfictic research hasn't shown yet

Toxic psychosis for a start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WoodyMKC

I say all of this as an outside observer btw, I don't drink or toke.

Says while lying in a hammock with a bottle of bud and fat spliff.
Original post by paul514
Not toxic except it causes a condition called toxic psychosis.

Not toxic meaning it won't and can't kill you.

Toxic psychosis sounds scary, but I already linked a review that found that psychosis is almost always acute, rare and only occurs with prolonged abuse, and is also linked to pre-existing mental health issues.
Original post by Ablicious
Says while lying in a hammock with a bottle of bud and fat spliff.

:lol: I did used to drink, rather heavily on occasion. Never smoked though.
Original post by morgan8002
The fumes given off by glasses of alcohol aren't going to cause any long term damage.

Assuming you apply consumption laws to cannabis similar to those of tobacco smoking, let's just say that the punch thrown by a drunkard may well cause long term damage.
Original post by knapdarloch
Then why are they not worried about the psychological effects of alcohol?

Alcohol is a common cause of psychotic disorders or episodes, which may occur through acute intoxication, chronic alcoholism, withdrawal, exacerbation of existing disorders, or acute idiosyncratic reactions.Research has shown that alcohol abuse causes an 8-fold increased risk of psychotic disorders in men and a 3 fold increased risk of psychotic disorders in women.

Alcohol can produce detectable impairments in memory after only a few drinks. Large quantities of alcohol, especially when consumed quickly and on an empty stomach, can produce a blackout. Alcohol reduces a man’s testosterone levels, leading loss of libido, shrunken male genitalia and a general increase in whininess, aggressiveness and rapeyness or small penis syndrome. Alcohol can make people lose their inhibitions and behave impulsively, leading to actions they might not otherwise have taken including self-harm and suicide. Regular drinking lowers levels of serotonin in the brain leading to anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts.

In the long term alcohol consumption, can profoundly and permanently harm the brain, leading to serious and potentially fatal brain disorders such as as hepatic encephalopathy, Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome, alcoholic neuropathy, alcoholic myopathy, alcohol withdrawal syndrome, dementia, alcoholic cerebellar degeneration and other cognitive deficits .

Yeah I am. So, anything else?
Original post by balanced
Yeah I am. So, anything else?

You are what?
Original post by JordanL_
Not toxic meaning it won't and can't kill you.

Toxic psychosis sounds scary, but I already linked a review that found that psychosis is almost always acute, rare and only occurs with prolonged abuse, and is also linked to pre-existing mental health issues.

Yea I studied it in neurology that fact is if you smoke it regularly in quantity then it can happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are what?

Against alcohol.
Against alcohol.

You don't drink, that's a bit weird, why not?
You don't drink, that's a bit weird, why not?

It's bad for my health, it makes me fall asleep, behaving appropriately is much harder and I have the same fun without it.
Original post by JordanL_
We live in a society where people abuse alcohol on a regular basis, often weekly. Drunken morons brawl in the streets or wake up with no recollection of the previous night. Alcohol costs the NHS £22 billion per year (and only brings in £8 billion in taxes).

Meanwhile, people are abhorred by the idea that people use cannabis.

Cannabis isn't addictive (alcohol is, moreso than many Class A drugs), it's not toxic (alcohol is toxic, it's not uncommon for people to die of alcohol poisoning), the long-term effects are far less severe than those of alcohol, and it has significantly less of an impact on your decision-making and inhibitions.

Someone who smokes a joint once a month is a waster and a criminal, but someone who gets dangerously drunk every weekend is just having fun.

What leads to this huge paradox in our perceptions of drugs? Why are people so utterly misinformed?

I think the key is that cannabis is illegal. Without discussing the pros and cons of legalisation/decriminalisation, there is a stigma attached to cannabis purely because it is a controlled substance. It's a criminal offence to possess cannabis. Alcohol, on the other hand, has no such stigma. That's the way I see it anyway.
It's bad for my health,

What isn't? Far too much risk paranoia going around.

it makes me fall asleep, behaving appropriately is much harder

Fair enough, some people just can't handle their drink I guess.

and I have the same fun without it.

Of course you can have fun without it but it's not the 'same fun', you're missing out.
What isn't? Far too much risk paranoia going around.

Fair enough, some people just can't handle their drink I guess.

Of course you can have fun without it but it's not the 'same fun', you're missing out.

Doesn't make it more fun for me at all, it's high in calories which doesn't help my sailing and my mild narcolepsy isn't helped by it so meh :/
Reply 36
People tend to worry about cannabis use because it's illegal so if you get caught there may be negative impacts on you in the future, and they generally seem to assume that because it is illegal that it must be incredibly dangerous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending