The Student Room Group

Does attendance count towards grade?

Hi there,

Rather silly question I'm sure, but one I'm totally puzzled with regardless.

I'm approaching the final few weeks of my degree and am currently going through my grades to try and work out what I might scrape for a degree. Aside from the grades received within each module for each item of work submitted, I have also noticed the course total takes attendance into account and includes this in the average foreach of my final module grades.

Does this mean my attendance on each module will have some bearing as to my final degree grade in this regard? All the signs are pointing to a yes according to Moodle, which I'm hoping is the case, but some clarification would really be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Joe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMJ2016
Hi there,

Rather silly question I'm sure, but one I'm totally puzzled with regardless.

I'm approaching the final few weeks of my degree and am currently going through my grades to try and work out what I might scrape for a degree. Aside from the grades received within each module for each item of work submitted, I have also noticed the course total takes attendance into account and includes this in the average foreach of my final module grades.

Does this mean my attendance on each module will have some bearing as to my final degree grade in this regard? All the signs are pointing to a yes according to Moodle, which I'm hoping is the case, but some clarification would really be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Joe

This is going to depend on your university regulations. Your course handbook should explain how your degree classification will be calculated - if you're unsure after reading the handbook then speak to your department office/registry
Do you also get extra marks for flossing every day? :confused:
Havent you answered your own question? If your module marks incclude a component for attendance and your degree grade is based upon module marks, then yes. What PQ said you will have been given a course handbook and you have your department to ask. Course structures depend on the institution attended.
Original post by ageshallnot
Do you also get extra marks for flossing every day? :confused:

My hunch is that this university is complying with tier 4 visa attendance monitoring through their assignments/marking/feedback system. It probably doesn't impact on grades but they had to start recording and reporting on that information somehow and this was a quick and easy bodge.
Reply 5
Thanks guys.
Original post by PQ
My hunch is that this university is complying with tier 4 visa attendance monitoring through their assignments/marking/feedback system. It probably doesn't impact on grades but they had to start recording and reporting on that information somehow and this was a quick and easy bodge.

Hopefully something like that!
Original post by PQ
This is going to depend on your university regulations. Your course handbook should explain how your degree classification will be calculated - if you're unsure after reading the handbook then speak to your department office/registry

That would make sense, but a simple reading of the rulebook would clear matters up. I,ve never heard of attendance being part of anyones grade.
Reply 8
Hopefully something like that!

Why hopefully? I'm asking a simple question. No need to be bitter if attendance is factored in.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
That would make sense, but a simple reading of the rulebook would clear matters up. I,ve never heard of attendance being part of anyones grade.

Thanks 999Tigger. It isn't referenced in the rulebook, but I have sent an email to the admin person.
or ask your lecturer or bisit the department in person next time you are in, if they dont get back to you.
Original post by JMJ2016
Why hopefully? I'm asking a simple question. No need to be bitter if attendance is factored in.

I'm not bitter. However, I would regard it as reprehensible if a uni gave marks simply for turning up.
I'm not bitter. However, I would regard it as reprehensible if a uni gave marks simply for turning up.

I doubt it is correct and PQ's explanation is a pretty good one.
Original post by 999tigger
I doubt it is correct and PQ's explanation is a pretty good one.

It usually is.
It usually is.

No idea I juts base it on what the answer is.

I did have one lecturer who assigned 10% of the marks to 10 question multiple choice quizzes completed at the end of each lecture. 1% of the total mark per lecture.
Easy marks for turning up and he got good, instant feedback about whether his students had understood and followed the content of the lecture they'd just attended. The lecturer repeated content that the class hadn't understood well.
It always is.

Fixed that for you.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Fixed that for you.

PQal infallibility? :tongue:
PQal infallibility? :tongue:

In my experience.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
In my experience.

lies