The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Look on the bright side LP.

You are privileged enough to have me as a follower. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Little Popcorns
And there's something about summer that just rubs it in your face. Can we just not do summer? I know... Not a popular choice.

"Help me I'm poor" basically.

Bear should subsidise me a holiday.

AMA rich kids.

well someone has to be poor just like someone has to rich right?
Just like someone has to be a binman and someone has to be the overlord of all Asda's?
I also dislike being poor. Especially when people who are comfortable say things like 'money doesn't make you happy'. It's like, okay but I would really like to have enough money to be able to do things I would like to do and not worry about my outgoings every week.
Why would you say you're poor? Like what factors have contributed to your situation?

Original post by thefatone
Just like someone has to be a binman and someone has to be the overlord of all Asda's?

Wealth should be evenly distributed, the system doesn't have to be as unfair as it currently is.
No mate... I mean I don't necessarily advocate communism but in that scenario everyone has a decent standard of living and pay and everyone's valued. So yeah everyone has to do a job but no reason some are less valued and paid less.
Original post by mscaffrey
I also dislike being poor. Especially when people who are comfortable say things like 'money doesn't make you happy'. It's like, okay but I would really like to have enough money to be able to do things I would like to do and not worry about my outgoings every week.
:frown: feel ya :hugs:
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
Why would you say you're poor? Like what factors have contributed to your situation?

Wealth should be evenly distributed, the system doesn't have to be as unfair as it currently is.

But i'm sure communism doesn't work as well as other options i'm sure others could come up with

No mate... I mean I don't necessarily advocate communism but in that scenario everyone has a decent standard of living and pay and everyone's valued. So yeah everyone has to do a job but no reason some are less valued and paid less.

but then why would anyone go for a ridiculously difficult job? if i can be a binman and be paid as much as working in a government lab working on curing cancers or whatever which would i choose if i get paid the same for both jobs?
And there's something about summer that just rubs it in your face. Can we just not do summer? I know... Not a popular choice.

:eek:

But summer is the best season to be poor in! You can hang out outside with mates (free), there's usually more free stuff going on (that may be a Brighton bias- because of the festival loads of stuff just happens in the streets and you don't pay), you can walk everywhere so no need to pay for public transport or get a taxi, plus the sunny weather just makes you feel better therefore distracting you from your bank account worries.
(edited 8 years ago)
Poor people always seem very happy to me.
The put your efforts into changing the short term- get a job or long term prospects- work hard for your career.

My dad was educated and had a good job but became unwell and hasn't worked since I was 12 even before then his problems affected his ability to keep jobs and his condition was up and down. Always struggled with money and my mums on a low wage so it doesn't balance out my dad not working. I've been to uni and got my degree but became unwell all the factors poverty etc are set to keep me down. I'm still trying though to just keep spirits up within my means but seeing people flashing their holidays and stuff on social media it's kinda miserable. I'm happy for them just feel kind of gutted and left behind.
But i'm sure communism doesn't work as well as other options i'm sure others could come up with

but then why would anyone go for a ridiculously difficult job? if i can be a binman and be paid as much as working in a government lab working on curing cancers or whatever which would i choose if i get paid the same for both jobs?

Communism hasn't worked because it hasn't ever had a chance to. China is extremely capitalistic and the USSR was full of greedy individuals in high places. In the UK our size and existing culture would be different. Love for our nation and our fellow countrymen must be instilled into the people for it to work.

Jobs should be done for the good of our society as opposed to selfish personal reward as it is in a capitalistic society.

like I said I wasn't advocating for any particular political shift just highlighting the plight.

Would it not be satisfying to know you're contributing to cure cancer? Would that not give someone job satisfaction? I'm not saying everyone should be strapped for cash just that it'd be good if everyone could have at least a decent standard of living.

Original post by 999tigger
The put your efforts into changing the short term- get a job or long term prospects- work hard for your career.

I make a lot of effort every day don't you worry your little head about that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14

Where would be the incentive to work hard and take risks if all your wealth was then evenly distributed?
I make a lot of effort every day don't you worry your little head about that.

I wasnt worried at all.
like I said I wasn't advocating for any particular political shift just highlighting the plight.

Would it not be satisfying to know you're contributing to cure cancer? Would that not give someone job satisfaction? I'm not saying everyone should be strapped for cash just that it'd be good if everyone could have at least a decent standard of living.

Well that'd be the only incentive.
How much do you earn?
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
Poor people always seem very happy to me.
lol... Coping mechanism much?

Original post by Tank Girl
:eek:

But summer is the best season to be poor in! You can hang out outside with mates (free), there's usually more free stuff going on (that may be a Brighton bias- because of the festival loads of stuff just happens in the streets and you don't pay), you can walk everywhere so no need to pay for public transport or get a taxi, plus the sunny weather just makes you feel better therefore distracting you from your bank account worries.
I know I know I get it I honestly do but I'm poor in a very middle class area so it's a case of *eyes darting left to right* "**** hide" everyone's bought nice new outfits, everyone you know has holidays planned. I often said it probably would have been easier if I had lived with other people who were as broke as me, the effect of it all might not have been quite as much... Could have teamed up and been poor together :h:
My dad was educated and had a good job but became unwell and hasn't worked since I was 12 even before then his problems affected his ability to keep jobs and his condition was up and down. Always struggled with money and my mums on a low wage so it doesn't balance out my dad not working. I've been to uni and got my degree but became unwell all the factors poverty etc are set to keep me down. I'm still trying though to just keep spirits up within my means but seeing people flashing their holidays and stuff on social media it's kinda miserable. I'm happy for them just feel kind of gutted and left behind.

That sounds rough, it isn't fair that someone who has previously contributed to society and can't any more, not out of lazyness, would be abandoned by society. Props to your mum though, in this day and age many people wouldn't think twice on walking out on their partners in this situation.

I can imagine it's tough seeing everyone else have nice things when you don't, through no fault of your own. But I'm glad to hear you're happy for them. It's easy to fall in to the trap of becoming bitter towards others for what they have, but that's the capitalist way of thinking and it's why we have such inequality in the first place.
Social media is pretty toxic as well tbh, you literally only see the very best things that are happening in someone else's life. It's a rose tinted view type thing.

Can't say i have any advice but good luck with illness and everything else :hugs:

Latest